Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 16  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 816 »
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 20th, 2014, 8:07 am
On the super lightning, A very interesting aircraft although I foresee a few issues, the fuselage would have a peculiar and I would suspect very drag prone shape, the undercarriage would either be very narrow tracked having to retract into the fuselage or extremely wide if kept in the wings, weapon carriage would then still be limited. The forward fuselage hard points would no longer be available due to the intakes so chin mounted on the intakes and the two over wing stations are the only options. And if your landing gear has to retract into the fuselage yes you gain wing hard points but you exasperate the lightnings major problem fuel capacity and range...

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 20th, 2014, 9:16 am
I did not made this aircraft and I also believe it has many issues as a design-you mentioned some above. Just came across it yesterday and I post it. The best Lighting was the F.6, but it need to supplement by other British designed aircraft.And we have plentiful designs in the thread about What if British aircraft.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 20th, 2014, 9:18 am
Sorry wasn't implying you made it, was just pointing out what I believe a few shortcomings might need addressing if someone was to use it for an AU.

I agree the F6 was the best of the breed, had it gained Aim 9's and possible Aim 7's. The Aim 9 could have been wing tip mounted or on a double pylon AKA as the harriers in the Faulklands on a pylon on the outer wing or on the wing tops AKA jaguar... The Aim 7 could have occupied the fuselage pylon AKA crusader..... But the range was always the killer and some pilots even said if you turned the afterburner you could see the fuel gauge move, bit unnerving on a fast intercept I'd have thought......

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 20th, 2014, 9:40 am
I never heard about that kind of "Super Lightning" modification (but I guess that Hood would know better). There was a genuine project for a Lightning follow-on, namely "VG Lightning" where VG stood for variable geometry.
At least one of the projected configurations also supposed to have side intakes, but not under the wings, only on the side of nose, roughly below the cockpit.
[ img ]
Otherwise all other Lightning-based projects I know of were to keep the nose intake.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 20th, 2014, 9:49 am
Another chapter to open is the What If British air-to-air missiles, there where some designs which deserves a further look. About the Lighting F6, I have seen one with pylons front (somewhat like the F-8 Crusader) which were Red Top or Matra R530. These you said about possible pylon configurations are all good ideas.

Is my Transport Fleet good or I have to add something? Also comments for notes with (-) written in that post.

P.S This is exactly what I mean, but with fixed wings. I knew about the VG Lighting.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 21st, 2014, 1:17 pm
The side intakes on the VG Lightning eswube has posted here are the only examples I know of on the Lightning. The VG Lightning was developed partly as a research aircraft (based on a T.5 with normal nose intake) and as a naval fighter. It was superior to the Lightning but was probably still a handful.

I'll add my thoughts on missiles and transports later when I have more time.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 21st, 2014, 1:22 pm
As an armchair aerodynamicist (very armchair), I hate to think of the ducting for the VG Lightning.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 21st, 2014, 1:49 pm
Hi TJ,

"Left one up, right one down"?

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 21st, 2014, 2:26 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi TJ,

"Left one up, right one down"?

Ad
Nope, because they have a common internal intake chamber where you're going to get all kinds of different pressure areas with the side intakes.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts about What If British AircraftsPosted: March 21st, 2014, 3:19 pm
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, that sounds _nasty_...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 16  [ 155 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 816 »

Jump to: