Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 22 of 41  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2441 »
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 18th, 2014, 4:07 pm
well... you saw the base image I started with after I cleaned it up. The guns it originally had do not have a parts page up here. Please can someone make one for me here are the specs :

Armament:
Main: 8 – 31.5” (80cm) Gustav siege guns (4 x 2)
Secondary: 12 – 9.45”/73 (24cm) Long Range AA guns (12 x 1)
Tertiary: 24 – 5.04”/60 (12.8cm) AA guns (12 x 2)
Light: 5.5cm/77 Gerat 58, 30mm AA guns

I really want to stay close to the original Design

please help me, I would really appreciate it.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 18th, 2014, 4:22 pm
Hi ezgo,

To be honest, I think this particular ship is going to have to exceed that because of the fire rate of the Doras. I doubt it's going to be as slow as the land based version's 14 shots per day, but even firing at battleships it's going to struggle to keep up, surely? Don't take my word as gospel or anything, but I'd think, for a design like this, you'd want:
"Superheavy" - 800mm. Main battery. Quite what you'd shoot with it, I do not know.
"Secondary" - this would be anybody else's main battery. For the KM, I'd figured 283mm, it seemed to be quite a good, long-range gun, no need to step up to 15/16 inch weapons because for anything really big, you've got main battery.
"Tertiary" - anything for which the secondaries would be a waste (or needs the higher rate of fire). The KM seemed quite happy with the 150mm, I figure they'd keep that here. Anti-destroyer gun.
"AA" - Again, because it's the germans, you've either got actual in-use stuff like the 105mm or 88mm (though I can't see them using the 88 if they've got the 105mm available) or using the 128mm flak from flak towers. If you're using the 128mm, though, you'd have to ask why not go for a proper DP battery like most other nations. In real life, I understand it's because the KM placed a premium on being able to knock out RN destroyers at longer ranges, which favoured the 150mm, which doesn't make a good AA gun, so they went for a full-on AA gun for that role. Could go with a dual-purpose battery, I suppose, if we're not placing as high a weight on countering destroyers for this ship.

For what it's worth, I figured for the first couple of salvos off the Dora - if you're engaging anything heavy, that is - maybe go with HE rather than AP and try and blind your opponent. With the size of shells that gun fires, you must be able to get plenty of blast and fragmentation from it, maybe enough that even if you bracket the target you still trash radars \ optics and put out their eyes before it gets so close the Dora becomes more of a problem?

Anyway, if all of the above sounds like desperate rationalisation in an attempt to find some use from an H45, you're right :)

Regards,
Adam Smith

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 18th, 2014, 4:41 pm
The only use one could probably find for 800mm is shore bombardment. Or lobbing shells 20 plus miles inland in pre land attack missile era.......

The secondary s become the main ship to ship battery.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 18th, 2014, 6:04 pm
guys this is not my design but this ship:

[ img ]

has the H-45's bridge

so I am asking the owner of this ship, can I put the bridge on the H-45 but make it kriegsmarine style?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 18th, 2014, 6:05 pm
You can you can copy and paste and credit the original artist, or you can draw it yourself in similar style and size.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 18th, 2014, 6:08 pm
ok.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 18th, 2014, 11:37 pm
Hi shippy,

Even then, you could probably argue that even Bismarck's guns were more cost effective. The range wasn't far off on Bismarck's big guns and so once again you come back to the question of what can you hit with an 800mm shell that wouldn't be killed by the 380mm shell you could have used instead, at a much lower cost?

Agree about the secondaries, that's why I suggested the 283mm - KHT, I think it was, suggested the 203 or 150 mm, but I thought fire rate on the Doras would be so slow they'd had very little part to play in a normal naval engagement, so you'd be forced to fall back on secondaries for virtually all ship-ship combat, necessitating a heavier secondary battery.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 23rd, 2014, 5:28 pm
here is the 89% finished H-45 Km fuhrer

[ img ]

what do you think about the ship now?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 23rd, 2014, 5:37 pm
I'd certainly lower your anchors about 7-10ft

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 23rd, 2014, 8:54 pm
Hi Rodondo \ LordBladaime,

Wouldn't the anchor point towards the bow, as well?

Also, LordBladaime, can you explain the reasoning behind so many calibers. It's been mentioned again and again, so the fact that you've kept it indicates there's something we've all missed, perhaps?

Regards,
Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 22 of 41  [ 402 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 120 21 22 23 2441 »

Jump to: