Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 9th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Ok finished her to best of my ability at this point and time. Credits include all that helped and or I used as a guideline. Need to get a little more practice with sweeping curves before I add a top view. As I get better I will more likely at some point rework it to reflect that.

[ img ]

Scheme 16 USS North Carolina
Quad 14/50 turret for above

Fluegzuegkreuzer A IIa and IV
quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 9th, 2014, 2:20 pm
Thanks to all that helped out

quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 10th, 2014, 1:02 pm
Wow, really great looking, this has come a long way. Just a couple of things, not so much corrections as questions.

The aft most twin 5"/38 needs to be dropped one pixel. (That's the only correction I can see.)

What is the circular thing the bell is hanging from? (Its not wrong, I just want to know for my own education.)

This one is more of a question to the group because it looks odd to me. Should the twin mount 5"/38 have bloomers/blast bags too? The single mounts and the main guns have them and they look a little off without them even though that's the way they show up on the parts sheet.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 10th, 2014, 1:15 pm
The double mount didn't have bloomers. From what I remember the way the guns were mounted inside it made it unnecessary.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 10th, 2014, 2:41 pm
Mounts 51 and 55 in this scheme are singles. Note the much narrower base.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 10th, 2014, 2:57 pm
Some twin mounts did: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/battle ... ps-56.html

I know I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill for purely aesthetic reasons.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 10th, 2014, 3:16 pm
From what I've seen the presence of the barrel bloomers on the USN 5" guns seems to be a bit "random". I'm never able to find any rules on their use or fit.

The best advice I could give would be to be consistent with your guns - either show them all with or without bloomers.

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 10th, 2014, 11:00 pm
Syzmo wrote:
Wow, really great looking, this has come a long way. Just a couple of things, not so much corrections as questions.

The aft most twin 5"/38 needs to be dropped one pixel. (That's the only correction I can see.)

What is the circular thing the bell is hanging from? (Its not wrong, I just want to know for my own education.)

This one is more of a question to the group because it looks odd to me. Should the twin mount 5"/38 have bloomers/blast bags too? The single mounts and the main guns have them and they look a little off without them even though that's the way they show up on the parts sheet.
Damn not sure how I missed that one thanks. May add them to the twins just because I always felt main guns look best with them. I also need to correct the shading in some areas. As for adding flag-line to the fore of the ship, I just didn't see a logical place to attach them them without taking the CXAM mast to height that would make it look out of scale. Also some drawings of the North Carolina as built showed no lines to the bow. Also have a short list of other corrections from the IRC channel to work in as well. Anyone that can think of a better option for that midship crane would be welcome. Only part that really still irks my sense of aesthetics.

quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 10th, 2014, 11:15 pm
It is so wierd not seeing her brissling with AA guns like a proper American BB. Nice drawing though.

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: March 10th, 2014, 11:51 pm
Karle94 wrote:
It is so wierd not seeing her brissling with AA guns like a proper American BB. Nice drawing though.

Well when she was launched her AA was 4 quad 1.1s and 12 50 cals. only found out by accident on Navsource. Everyone else lists her as when she had either 10 quad 40s or 15 quad 40s. Did not want to draw her after she was at war. If it weren't for the beginner's forum I might have posted her as a reference to help with the lack of pictorial data on her. Plan to do the others as well of the 16 and other designs for her. Including the seaplane hybrid .

quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: