Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 18 of 41  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2041 »
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 8:16 pm
I want it to be A fleet's WORST NIGHTMARE!!!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 8:19 pm
your own fleets nightmare, that is :P your ship will be quite soon at the bottom of the sea, and all crew will most likely be lost.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 8:20 pm
you all told me to make it from Pykrete remember???

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Hi LordBladaime,

I'm not sure the construction material will help. A couple of points, one of which was mentioned before - you've got so many different gun sizes, there that I'm not sure you'll be able to shoot accurately / quickly - this was a real problem with pre-dreadnought ships, as I understand it, the larger guns throwing up such large splashes that the smaller guns, which should have been able to fire quicker, couldn't, as they couldn't see the target. I'd imagine you'd get a similar sort of thing even with radar ranging with the number of different shell types you've got going on there.

Then there's air defence. I don't see much of it - is one of those missiles Wasserfall? Because apart from that, you've got very little (I count another 4 heavy AA mounts plus a couple of Taifun launchers) to keep the hordes of Tallboy and Grand Slam-equipped Lancasters that are surely going to be headed your way. Even if you've got 2 x Wasserfall and 2 x Taifun, think of the amount that you've spent, then figure what fraction of that the RAF \ USAF would be willing to spend to sink it - can you fight off that many bombers?

I'm not trying to be mean - I started an H45-type a while ago - but for the most part, thinking about these designs is the best demonstration of why nobody ever built them.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 9:11 pm
I have a feeling that on ship of this size, air defence is a mute piont it is just one big ass not very maneuverable target, both from the air and sea, faster more lightly armed ships will run rings around it ploughing round after round into it evading the odd big ass shell fired at irregular and slow intervals.
As for from the air if a few obsolete bi planes can get through and disable bismarks steering and look how well that ship was kitted out then this sitting duck is boned... Never mind fairy sword fish, it it'll be an easy target from out off aa range to a tall boy.....

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 9:29 pm
Hi Shippy,

That's kind of what I mean. Any half-way practical design of this size in the WWII timeframe would end up basically becoming an AA barge unless it never goes anywhere without quite a few Atlantas in tow, or a carrier, but then, the carrier's going to be better at force projection anyway...

With regards to the Swordfish, I understand that part of their advantage against the bismark was that they were capable of flying so slow that the intercepting fighters couldn't stay on their six o'clock long enough to get a good shot.

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 9:43 pm
For the cost of this thing financially and in materials you could build 4 bismarks

Far more potent

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 9:43 pm
I applaud the tremendous patience shown by the people commenting in this thread...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 9:58 pm
shippy2013 wrote:
For the cost of this thing financially and in materials you could build 4 bismarks

Far more potent
for the 600m ship, you could build more then 4 bismarcks. for the 1200m, you could build the entire WW1 hochseeflotte with those same funds, I estimate.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 4th, 2014, 10:27 pm
@Colo

Experience: no; Talent: meh; Patience: heck yes! Just playing to my strengths, is all... ;)

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 18 of 41  [ 402 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2041 »

Jump to: