Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 819 »
RP1
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 21st, 2014, 5:19 pm
PS: I think the RIB on the T42-derivative is too far forward. LEUT_East has done a very good job in illustrating the bowline needed for boat operations. The boat location needs to be far enough aft so that a bow line can be run from some convenient location, and the bridge crew have a good view aft and down - which is not easy if it is too close to the bridge wings.

TBH you could put the STWS that far forward and be OK - i.e swap them. It's an "ankle holster" weapon anyway, so as long as there is a route from the magazines that is navigable by an LWT on a trolley* then they can be reloaded in slow time.

RP1

* push by sailors, of course. I don't think they are smart enough to load themselves. Yet.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 11:03 am
Will swap the type 42 around a bit, in my world the RIBs were added during the late 1990's when the ships were seeing increasing use on anti piracy roles. So I may loose the torpedoes all together after the RIBs are fitted.

The Type 42's replaced four county class ships built in the 1960's to the same design as the UK' batch one. But fitted with sea slug mk 2 as well as a nuclear armed version (cancelled in reality but using a us w44 warhead).

Do I need to thicken my trimaran hull sections between my main hull an out riggers....

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 5:16 pm
Quote:
Do I need to thicken my trimaran hull sections between my main hull an out riggers....
The images seem to be borken right now, but what I would recommend is making the box structure the same height aft of the side hulls that it is forward of them, so that it can contain an internal deck.

The images in this thread give some idea:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/i ... ic=10965.0

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 6:08 pm
I'll do some tinkering, my idea was that the deck hight will be the height of the lower section of the front box so may need to deepen that slightly then to allow for 3.5 meters internal plus say another .50-.75 meters for a double bottom structure then increase the depth of the rear section to match. The top section of the forward box was mainly part of the fairing to decrease radar returns from the VLS pit. The deck proper not starting till the built up area level with the bridge area of superstructure.

Majhost seems to be screwed all day so don't know when the images will show again.............

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 6:41 pm
It's nice to get additional insight on trimarans. I confess that I have very little understanding of their performance and handling compared to a boring old monohull.

Although I suppose that puts me in pretty good company...

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 25th, 2014, 12:52 pm
a quick break from the ships at the moment while I modify my defiant class and tweek my Type 42 and sort out my County and Whitby class frigates and Destroyers from the 1960's.

Here is New Cromer's Airforce/Navy and Army Aviation capabilities as on 2014.
[ img ]

Last edited by shippy2013 on February 26th, 2014, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 25th, 2014, 3:15 pm
Without knowing more about the place itself I can't comment on numbers but it looks a reasonable ORBAT. Couple of minor niggles though. Wildcat unless you fudge the timeline isn't going to be available in those sort of numbers for sometime especially for an export customer. Secondly, your AEW Merlin doesn't need two radomes. Either go with Searchwater or HEW-784 not both. Finally, remember that the Typhoon is ludicrously expensive as are the F-35s so numbers might well suffer.
Otherwise as I said prior, looks reasonable.

ETA:

That is a LOT of Reapers. We currently only have ~10!

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 25th, 2014, 3:29 pm
I forgot to put on the sheet that the wild cat number is number ordered I missed of previous marks of lynx still in use, namely AH7 and HAS3 only about 4 wildcats have been delivered so far but eventually there will be 74.

Typhoon numbers although expensive 60 airframes did replace 106 lightnings and Phantoms.

As for F35 numbers this is based on an almost like for like number of replacements to the Tornado and Harrier force and this number may drop.

My country is located off the coast of South Africa below Madagascar about the same distance as the Cyprus to Syria. My Country has had several campaigns and been involved in many conflicts in Africa both on the sides of governments and to overthrow governments. It has been a key ally to the UK east of Suez becoming more important as Britain pulled most assets from this region. I am working on a full history at present going back to British Foundation in around 1734 ish to independence in around 1953-60 and becoming a member of the British Commonwealth to present day. Size wise she is two islands and in overall area almost the size of France. With Farley large oil reserves and natural ores has a booming export market and a large fishing history.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 25th, 2014, 4:08 pm
Well that then begs the question, why bother with F-35s in the first place? Especially the B model. The only nation of any real significance OTL down that way is South Africa which you wouldn't need F-35s to deal with. IMO a split force between Typhoons and Tornadoes would be ideal. If you are really lusting to retire the Tornadoes though one of the plethora of advanced F-15s would probably be a wiser decision than F-35Bs, they've got long legs, immense load capacity, effective and large diameter radar sets (if you can wrangle APG-82 or SABR / RACR then all the better) not to mention the added modularity that the CFTs bring for modular payloads such as SLAR, cameras etc. They're also going to be cheaper than F-35Bs too.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 25th, 2014, 9:05 pm
My choice for F35B was determined by my country's involvement in CVF, not wanting to spend additional money on CATOBAR carrier the same STOVL design as the UK was chosen and as the Tornados and Harriers would be almost life expired by 2020 the decision for the B model was chosen. I considered B for the navy and A for the Airforce but thought commonality would be more useful and economical. Alternatively I could go CATOBAR and go for F18E land F.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 819 »

Jump to: