Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 927 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 8:56 pm
Okay, so here it is again. I believe all the stupid stuff is fixed. Now for the critique.

[ img ]

Fine so something's wrong. I placed this between the image brackets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nudxd3b01v14m ... Latuch.png

Last edited by David Latuch on February 22nd, 2014, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 9:20 pm
I am unsure about that mess of black lines around the bridge. should some of them not be grey? are all of those 90 degrees angles or edges?

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 9:30 pm
What are the precise criteria for the use of gray verses black lines, i.e. do you use a different shade of gray for an angled vs rounded corner. I'm a rather good draftsman and understand why we use gray lines. I just need to know the rules.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 10:12 pm
It's really coming along now, The windows on the second level of the aft control tower should be covered by the gun tub and there shouldn't be any railing between the 1st and 2nd 5" gun because one of the boats is sitting right on the edge. I still don't like those masts and you can add kingfisher float planes if you want.

Can we get another opinion on the width of the 14" guns? I don't think they're right but I'm not familiar enough to be sure.

This is almost done though, its almost there.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 10:15 pm
Black line:

- 90 degrees corner.

Gray line:

- an angled corner. (I like to use darker gray thus sharper angle the corner has)

rounded corner:

- no black or gray line.
- just some light or dark gray showing where the light hit's and where not.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 11:29 pm
Syzmo wrote:
It's really coming along now, The windows on the second level of the aft control tower should be covered by the gun tub and there shouldn't be any railing between the 1st and 2nd 5" gun because one of the boats is sitting right on the edge. I still don't like those masts and you can add kingfisher float planes if you want.

Can we get another opinion on the width of the 14" guns? I don't think they're right but I'm not familiar enough to be sure.

This is almost done though, its almost there.

Since I am also fooling with the 14/50s you can only make them so small. And barrels are already said to be more stylistic than actual in the rules.

Scheme 16 USS North Carolina
Quad 14/50 turret for above

Fluegzuegkreuzer A IIa and IV
quad 11 in turret for IV

Last edited by DBrigance on February 23rd, 2014, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 11:34 pm
Looking better but I'm unsure about the catapults. You should ask around at the shipmodels.info forum about what type of catapult these ships used - will probably give you some great source material to work from.

Here is the floatplane catapult I drew for Alaska:

[ img ]

I was never able to find any good, concrete information on its mark or mod or any of that stuff unfortunately. Hope you have better luck than I did.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 23rd, 2014, 12:06 am
Here`s a few pics of the catapult:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/014325.jpg
http://paintedsoldier.weebly.com/upload ... 2_orig.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/939 ... 14301d.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 23rd, 2014, 4:00 am
Yep... looks almost nothing like the Alaska catapult, sorry to say...

Generally with things like catapults and aircraft handling cranes it's best to treat them as a unique piece of equipment until proven otherwise. I know some of the IJN catapults seem to be standardized, and I'm sure the USN ones were too, but I haven't been able to find any solid information on it.

Good luck with the drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: February 24th, 2014, 12:04 am
Karle94 wrote:
Here are the pics I used:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news- ... to/2666555
http://www.modelwarships.com/features/a ... b43/10.jpg

They are larger and much closer.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 927 »

Jump to: