Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 64 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 161 62 63 64 65 »
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 4:32 pm
Ah ok, isn't operating Lynx and SH-60 a waste though as well, I mean two seperate supply chains for similarly rolled helos?

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 5:03 pm
Not really as the latter replaces the former. The WS70 can lift almost double what a Lynx for a similarly small sized (when compared to a Merlin) airframe. They have the ability to patrol further on internal fuel let alone external tanks and finally the cabin area is substantially larger than that which the Lynx offers. So even if they were to serve alongside each other the WS70 is superior in most respects to the Lynx.

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 5th, 2014, 12:30 pm
As a Metallurgist I really like the choice of names for the Metallurgical-class. Nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 5th, 2014, 1:03 pm
Thanks for the kind words! Coming up with groups of related class names is quite a challenge!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 7th, 2014, 1:22 am
Updated the Metallurgical class now with added subclasses!

~Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 18th, 2014, 1:08 am
Blackbuck, the Metallurgical class is spot on! It just looks "right" to my eyes - like a true warship in every sense of the word.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 18th, 2014, 11:31 am
Muchas gracias! It's quite possibly the first design of vessel that I've got to look right on the first try.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 19th, 2014, 6:08 pm
Very attractive ships. I do find myself wondering about the wisdom of shipping 40mm and 25mm on a ship that already has a very effective medium-caliber mount in the Oto 76; I think one could make an argument that it'd be better to pick one or the other for the simple virtue of unifying spares, ammunition, training and gunlaying. Even if, yes, on paper, some roles are better suited for 40mm and others for 25mm.

Also, do you think the STIRs on the Demeter subclass are large enough to fully exploit ESSM and Standard? I'm unsure on the former and quite skeptical on the latter.

Have you given any thoughts to the potential difficulties of going from two Speys to a single LM2500-family engine, when you're trying to run two shafts? Offhand, I can't think of any ships that have an arrangement like this. Of course, given that you have electrical drive on the cruise engines, you don't really lose any get-me-home redundancy by running only a single boost turbine. It's great, if you can figure out how the gearbox works (especially as a refit, vs. a new-build hull).

I very badly want to sign off on about fifty of the final subclass to replace the USN's Perries en masse :)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 19th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Another thought: I'd ponder the safety of a lot of your deck equipment abeam the superstructure in a heavy sea. You're going to be doing a lot of North Atlantic operations, and something characteristic of nearly every postwar USN combatant (and most recent British examples) is the structural protection of the weather deck amidships. The forward edge of the superstructure extends gunwale to gunwale, as sort of a tall and broad bulwark, even if the enclosed volume is narrower. Case examples might be the Perry and the California.
[ img ]
[ img ]
By comparison, look at your liferafts! I fear the poor little things will be torn off in a foul sea. Or... something, I dunno. Perhaps it's just to keep spray off of personnel. Certainly, many frigates, destroyers, and cruisers feature this sort of bulwark. If I were you, I would integrate something like the Perry structure underneath your pilothouse. All you're doing is adding several hundred pounds of structural steel; it's not a major design change IMHO.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 19th, 2014, 6:38 pm
erik_t wrote:
Offhand, I can't think of any ships that have an arrangement like this. Of course, given that you have electrical drive on the cruise engines, you don't really lose any get-me-home redundancy by running only a single boost turbine. It's great, if you can figure out how the gearbox works (especially as a refit, vs. a new-build hull).
Well, the Bertholfs (National Security Cutters) have a single LM2500 as a boost turbine on two screws, but yes they are new build hulls.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 64 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 161 62 63 64 65 »

Jump to: