Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 63 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 161 62 63 64 65 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 30th, 2013, 8:58 pm
Great looking work as usual. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 30th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Certainly attractive enough, but it seems extremely wasteful to put both SPS-48 and SPS-49 on a hull, only to handicap it with a single illuminator. I'd trade one of the search sets for a second illuminator in a heartbeat, if I were forced to choose.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Metallurgical ClassPosted: January 1st, 2014, 8:38 pm
Abstract:

The Metallurgical class are the most recent design of frigate to enter Atlantian service. With a design period of over 7 years they they have been through the mangle when it comes to changes to the design. The original specification called for a 110m vessel capable of deploying a towed array as well as on-board sonar and permanent accommodation for a helicopter. Post Falklands this requirement swelled to include local air-defence and anti-surface rolls resulting in a lengthened and broadened design with small and medium calibre artillery as well as the hastened introduction of NSSM-VL.
By the time the first vessel entered commission in October 1991 the Cold War was no longer the threat that it had once been and the implosion of the Soviet Union once again meant looking at either Palladium being a unique vessel or further diversifying into a true general purpose warship which was what frigates were now deemed to be.
Between 1990 and 2000 a raft of improvements were carried out to bring the class and new builds to MLU-1 standard. This involved the substitution of the twin 30mm amidships with a CIWS proper in the form of the Oerlikon Contraves 25mm Phalanx. Link-11 and then Link-16 datalinks and the integration of new weaponry in the form of ASALM and SM-2MR. MLU+1 saw the introduction of SMART-S Mk2 3D radar, ESSM and Stingray MOD 1 torpedoes whilst MLU+2 sees the introduction of Nulka and Centurion countermeasure dispensers and an improved SLQ-32. The class has proven to be a useful one thus far and it is intended that they will remain in service or at least some of them until 2040.

Future:

As yet unspecified improvements and refinements are likely to take place before 2015.

Design:
The basic design of the Metallurgical class is quite a turtle backed hull with pronounced flare and knuckling towards the stem with a soft chine leading from it to the stern in an effort to maximise volume and reduce wetness much like the preceding Patriot class of destroyers...
The vessels are powered in a COGLOG arrangement with since their MLU 2x GE LM500 turbines providing cruise power, 1x GE LM2500 turbine providing boost/sprint power and a LM500 based ship service generators (During their MLU they received LM2500+ turbines which replace their earlier Speys as well as improvements to their gearing set-up.
Other modifications that have been undertaken in recent years is the application of new antifouling paint and a transom flap. These enhancements have provided the class with an increase in attainable speed to 32 knots (Kovar attained 35.21 knots during high speed trials in 2006) and reduced fuel usage somewhere in the order of 11%.

Specifications:

'Metallurgical' class frigate
  • Produced:1989-2006
  • In Commission: 1991 Onwards
  • Displacement: <4,750 Tonnes Full Load
  • Length: 123.4m WL
  • Beam: 17.1m (7.22:1)
  • Draught: 4.57m nominal
  • Propulsion:
    Pre-MLU (Rolls Royce boost turbines were used originally due to the power requirements GE turbines were substituted during the MLU process and on new builds)
    • 2x RR Marine Spey SM1A boost turbines (18,770SHP Ea.) - (Geared Drive)
    • 2x LM500 cruise turbines (6,000SHP Ea.) - (Electric motors)
    • 1x LM500 based ship service generator (4.47MW)
    Post-MLU
    • 1x GE LM2500+ boost turbine (40,500SHP) - (Geared Drive)
    Aphrodite & Demeter Subclasses
    • 1x GE LM2500+G4 boost turbine (47,350SHP) - (Geared Drive)
  • Speed: Electric Cruise:20 knots Sustained: ±31 knots
  • Complement and Accommodation: Crew: 170 Permanent Accommodation: 210 (Usually deploy with personnel from 24AU)
  • Endurance: 30 days before resupply
  • Range: 10,185km @ 18 knots (Batch 1 and 2 class members) 11,000km @ 20 knots (Aphrodite and Demeter subclasses)
  • Armament:
    Pre-MLU
    • 1x 76mm/62 Compact Dual Purpose Gun
    • 1x 32 cell tactical length GMVLS (RIM-7VL exclusively)
    • 8x RGM-84 Harpoon
    • 2x GCM-AO3-1 with 2x Oerlikon Contraves KCB 30mm x173 cannon each
    • 2x Triple SVTT for Mk46 / Stingray
    Post MLU
    • 1x 76mm/62 SR Dual Purpose Gun
    • 1x 32 cell tactical length GMVLS (ASALM, ESSM and SM-2MR with provision made for POLAR, VL-ASROC and RGM-165)
    • 2x Mk38 MOD 2 mounts with Oerlikon Contraves KBA cannon installed (25mm x184)
    • 2x Bofors Mk4
    • 2x Triple SVTT for Mk54 / Stingray MOD 1
    • 2x Oerlikon Contraves 25mm Phalanx CIWS
    Aphrodite & Demeter Subclasses
    • 1x 48 cell tactical length GMVLS (ASALM, ESSM and SM-2MR with provision made for POLAR, VL-ASROC and RGM-165) in place of former 32 cell owing to greater space
    • 2x extra 12.7mm RWS (Aphrodite only) (Existing two mounts are relocated on Demeter)
    • 1x SeaRAM launcher supplanting Oerlikon Contraves 25mm Phalanx in the CIWS role atop the hangar on the Demeter subclass only

Aviation:
      Rated For
      • UH-1N, WS70, AW101, Lynx, Sea Apache + Sea King.
      Pre-MLU
      • 1x Sea Lynx HM.V
      Post-MLU
    • 1x Merlin HM.I / HMA.II
      OR
    • 1x Seahawk HMA.I / HAS.I
      OR
    • 1x Sea Lynx HMA.IX
      Demeter Specfic
    • 2x Seahawks (HM.I / HA.I)
    Boats and Landing Craft:
    Common
    • 2x 7m RHIBs for harbour launch duties and boarding work
    Demeter Specfic
    • 2x 9m RHIBs for harbour launch duties and boarding work that are weapon capable and able to take 12 boarding personnel plus two crew
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

A word on the two subclasses.
The Aphrodite batch of vessels were delivered between 2008 and 2012 and are some 6.1m longer than their predecessors without an increase in draught or beam. The plugs were made forward of the bridge and aft of the machine spaces. The intent with the Aphrodite batch was to increase the number of VLS cells on-board and to provide slightly roomier accommodation for embarked personnel as well as of course extra fuel. The quarterdeck which in previous upgrades had been plated over on other vessels was eliminated in the final two batches altogether resulting in an increase in dry usable space.
The Demeter batch take the stretched design one step further with a full width hangar and extension to the forward superstructure. They were envisaged as "police" frigates capable of deploying to areas of national importance for extended periods and to conduct anti-piracy/narcotic/smuggling operations as well as respond to any emerging humanitarian issues in their area of operations. As mentioned previously they feature a full with hangar allowing the embarkation of two Seahawk helicopters.
The Demeter has been deemed to be just about the most that the basic Metallurgical design can give without in depth structural modifications and as such the batch like the Aphrodite subclass to five vessels each.

I think. Possibly I can sign off on this class now :geek: ~Mark.

Last edited by Blackbuck on January 12th, 2014, 9:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 2:25 pm
I like this a lot. It has good looks, nicely spaced superstructure (fire-gaps), a good armament and electronics fit which does the job but not too fancy. BTW, I see Harpoon but no launchers. Are they fitted for but not with or is there some kind of VLS amidships?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 2:30 pm
There were some notes that got erased erroneously. Pre-MLU there are tubes aft for RGM-84. Post-MLU they're landed in favour of ASALM. I'll get a render of the MLU up in the post in the next couple of hours.

ETA
Metallurgical class finished.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 1:05 am
Reminds me of a T23

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 1:53 am
It also looks kinda like one of the NFR-90 designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 11:14 am
swin_lad wrote:
Reminds me of a T23
;) So it should! Just lacks many British or derived systems for various reasons. That said I am a great admirer of the Type 23.
Judah14 wrote:
It also looks kinda like one of the NFR-90 designs.
That is completely coincidental as I actually forgot the NFR0-90 was even a thing.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 12:24 pm
If they are rolled mainly for ASW wouldn't it make sense for Merlin to be carried in a hangar being the best ASW helo your navy operates?

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Crowned Republic of AtlantiaPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 12:35 pm
They can be hangared (hence it sitting on the deck) and indeed they are as required. Not only that they were ASW orientated, emphasis on were. Merlin would not have been available especially to the first batch of hulls.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 63 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 161 62 63 64 65 »

Jump to: