Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 30 of 47  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page « 128 29 30 31 3247 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 18th, 2013, 5:37 pm
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88748209/guns.png here ya go heuhen, but now I have seen those references I actually expect an full belowdecks of it instead of the red outlines :P
(I am also going to look into the XXIII mount, as I have been on board the belfast a few months ago I might be able to do an belowdeck of that one)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 18th, 2013, 5:47 pm
on those pictures it looks like it have 4 deck penetrations. are you agree on that one.
oh do you think the bellow deck part is as open as in those pictures, or are the pictures so open just to make thing visible.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 18th, 2013, 5:52 pm
I think it's 3,5-4, with the lowest deck in the model housing only the foot and engines and possibly embedded in the double bottom.
the side will be closed, apart from (blast)doors, but you are free to draw it open or closed as you wish (or both, if possible :P)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 19th, 2013, 10:39 am
Ace, I'm not sure who drew the GWS.26 VLS Sea Wolf tube, I do know it was a long time ago. I'm adding some better below-decks parts for the VM.40 Sea Wolf system, I found some plans in an old Jane's Weapons Systems but no dimensions so scaling is proving a bit of a bugger. I'd love it if you would update the Starstreak system, I was going to draw it but haven't got good enough plans to work from. I'm going to add Seafox, a 1978 weapons concept by Hunting, Ferranti, Marconi and Vickers which uses a six-tube unguided rocket launcher.

Good call on the Limbo. I'm sure that most Limbo's had the magazine to one side so that would need a top-view part rather than a below decks. Whether it was a standard size I'm not sure. On early frigates probably so.

The XXIII and XXVI belowdecks would be great if you guys can pull it off over the Christmas/ New Year period. Given the XXIII is the long trunk version it should be easy to adapt it as the short trunk XXII (and I think I'm right in thinking that the XXI had the same length trunk as the XXII).

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 19th, 2013, 1:35 pm
I drew the VLS version :P my doubts thus were about the reloader version. the VLS version were IIRC based on the size of the missile as I looked it up and the arrangements in the type 23. unless I made major mistakes in that, I think that the sb seawolf drawing is oversized and thus the one shown as 'in the reloader' would be oversized as well.

I'll see what I can do with starstreak and the Mk XXIII. I can almost guarantee it gets ready before christmas, unless I get suddenly a lot busier.

it might be good to show (with red lines for example) the 'pit' in which the limbo's were fitted. I am pretty certain those were standardised, and I think Friedmans has some data on ammunition amounts and thus on the magazine for it.

EDIT: just found this:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 02428.html
http://resourcessgd.kb.nl/SGD/19811982/ ... 001316.pdf and this last file is in dutch, but shows that VM-40 was to be used possibly with an dutch guidance system...
EDIT2: the director seems to have been an VM-40 which would have been some sort of Signaal STIR. trying to find which type, but STIR 120 or 180.
http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.111 ... .tb03934.x

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 19th, 2013, 4:39 pm
Yes, I've drawn a resized real-size Sea Wolf for the loaders now. VM.40: The first link has the same drawing I'm working from for one version. I'll add whichever STIR you think fits best and I'll search from my end too.

Limbo, I'm not sure how standard the pits were, the Type 12 River and the older Type 15, Type 14 and Type 12 (UK) seem to be just open deck areas extended forward from the quarterdeck with deckhouses either side flush with the hull sides. The Leander and Type 81 etc. probably did have standard sized pits for double and single Limbo. I'll dig through some plans. The shell handling room seems to be the same length as the mortar itself. As an aside, I assume to absorb the recoil some kind of reinforced deck was fitted beneath it? It wasn't just a case of plonking it anywhere and that might explain why few designs had it mounted above the upper deck.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 19th, 2013, 6:48 pm
the third link has the best references, showing an platform which can be scaled and some bits of the loader...... and is it just me, or does that reloader remind me of sea dart!
the dimensions can also be estimated on the base of that there would have been an containerised version which limits the size a lot. (it looks like the same launcher or same size at least)

the first link shows an director aft which is clearly an STIR, but the forward one seems bigger for some reason...... I am going to look into the details of the different STIR types to find which one the aft one, and maybe the forward one, represents.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 20th, 2013, 10:28 am
Hold the phone!
Still more updating on the weapons sheet to do. I'm redrawing the XXI 6in turret and adding another twin 4in mount. Also I've just rediscovered some stuff I'd stashed on the 57mm DACR and NIGS SAM so hope to add some interesting stuff over the weekend!

Radar sheet update is about 20% done.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 20th, 2013, 4:16 pm
Progress so far on the weapons sheet. Bits mentioned in post above added, the NIGS stuff comes from the archives and is sized according to Vickers plans (the missile is from Armstrong Whitworth). I've added both STIR for now with the VM.40. The sheet is pretty big so we need to think hard about adding too many belowdeck parts, generally I'd like to get some on here but every gun and missile would be impossible. Perhaps in the future as we do more belowdeck parts there will be sufficient of both to do separate guns and missile sheets. At the moment though I want to keep things in one place.

[ img ]

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: RN Weapon and Radar SheetsPosted: December 20th, 2013, 4:40 pm
hood, any chance on an top view for NIGS as well? (and I should look into that for sea dart as well, and maybe sea slug.... not for this sheet maybe, but it would add a lot for use in the belowdeck parts thread)

the STIR 240 is certainly not it, my money is on the STIR 180 at the moment.

I am now working on the parts I promised, so keep this sheet on hold for now :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 30 of 47  [ 469 posts ]  Return to “Official Parts Sheets” | Go to page « 128 29 30 31 3247 »

Jump to: