Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 39 of 76  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page « 137 38 39 40 4176 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 4th, 2013, 6:38 am
No,the Leonidas does not excist in the bucket, only the ASCOD is done. Do you want to do it?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 6th, 2013, 10:30 am
Today searching in one my old hard discs I found another small APC,which I had forgetted.Insired from the EE-4 Ogum, I made it back in previous Christmas.Together I found several more to post.

This small APC designed in Hellenic Kingdom at late 1980's and produced in about 200 units in 1990's.Although it resembles the Brasilian Engesa Ogum,the Fox is a Leonidas scaled to about 2/3 size.
Designed to be air-trasportable by CH-47SG or Do-31B (both can fit 2), the Fox weighs 4.4-4.8 tn ready for battle. Its dimensions are 3.75m X 2,14m X 1.36m (APC variant) and is powered by aMercedes Benz OM603 turbo diesel coupled to Mercedes 4 speed automatic gearbox. With 140hp available, the Fox can reach 75-80 km/h and 60 km/h off road, due to its minimal terrain pressure. Fox has also impressive acceleration except from small size, due to its power to weight ratio. In service mainly with Air Transportable Brigade of Hellenic Army, while some are used by Island Defense Forces.

Variants

FOX A/T : 4 E-105 anti-armour missiles (based on Israel LAHAT,4 in launcher plus 8 for reloading) or one Kornet (with 12 rounds). Kornet equipped Fox has also a small turret with an 7.62mm MG3 LMG.
FOX A/A : E-92 Sphinx with 8 Mistral missiles and E/O system
APC : 1 X M2 Browning 0.5" HMG or E-40 Grenade Launcher 40mm,4 fully armed troops.

[ img ]
imagen

Last edited by odysseus1980 on December 15th, 2013, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 6th, 2013, 6:09 pm
Nice design.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 9th, 2013, 7:23 am
Back in page 37 I posted a revised, more correct design of cruise missile Chimera.Previous design was.. really awful.

The MK244VLS is derived from Mk41VLS (which built by METKA and other companies under NATO International Manufacturing Program from mid 1990's-present) but uses cold launch to eliminate the large IR image of the standard US MK41. It will enter service with the Als-130 Class frigate with capability of launching MICA,ESSM, SUR-24VL, SAM-180 Adis VI, SSM-85A (surface to surface variant of Adis VI),Chimera-VL and other weapons in the future. It is rumoured that the MK244VLS is also capable of launching Russuan Club-M missiles,due to close relationships of the Kingdom with Russia, but none of future hellenic low-RCS Als-90 and Als-130 designs does not include the Club-M, have Adis II and Exocet MM40 Block III missiles instead.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 15th, 2013, 6:41 pm
Cerberus ("Κέρβερος") Tactical Artillery Guided Rocket

In early 1960's Hellenic Army acquired the NATO Honest John system for Artillery.The Honest John had small range, below 50km and several other flaws, one of those had nothing to do with the missile. The system was under NATO control, not Hellenic Army. Turks had purchased the FKR-1 Sopka missile from Soviet Union together with other weapons and started to deploy them in Aegean Coast from late 1960's.The threat for Hellenic Kingdom was obvious and government decide to fund development of countermeasures. Beside Turkey, Bulgaria had also the system. Several systems were developed, one was a land-based variant of the Sea Falcon missile system named 'Land Falcon' and an indigenous 'artillery rocket' (actually under this name was hidden an SRBM). Navy went for a modification to its Adis I missiles, then at the final stage of development, giving Adis I a limited ground attack capability (which increased in later variants). Also jammers were developed for blinding the “Sheet Bend” targeting radar of the used with the Sopka missiles.
The Cerberus, designated E-122 (later the designation changed to E-76,for the diameter of 76cm) looked like the French nuclear missile Pluto and its electronics were also derived from the Pluto, but it had convectional warhead similar with that of Honest John. Four variants were developed, MkI to MkIV, with range from 60 to 200km and the first launching system was identical with that of Honest John but based on license-made Mercedes L-series 6x6 trucks. In late 1980's a new TEL appeared, based on a diesel powered M47 hull. Each TEL carried two missiles in separate boxes with the rail inside (again similar with Pluto TEL, but the missile was above the rail instead of under it).
Of course, the reason an SRBM was named 'artillery rocket' was for political reasons and that the missile did belong to Hellenic Army Artillery.Today only Cerberus MkIV remains in service, because of the advanced long range artillery chells Athos and the long range guided rockets Thunder IV (similar with Smerch).

[ img ]
free image hosting

Last edited by odysseus1980 on March 22nd, 2014, 5:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 15th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Nice work. :)
Pluton's heritage is clearly visible. I'm not sure, however, wether the missile "box" isn't unnecessarily large (Pluton had it quite closely wrapped around the missile, while You have lots of empty space around).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pluton_034.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 15th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Indeed,so edited with smaller missile box.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 17th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Using a Time Machine,lets travel back in time and stop to year 1880.In that year, the first indigenous developed armoured cruiser was appeared in paper, designed by naval arcitecture Nikolaos Tompazis.

Curiously, she was classified as a battleship,perhaps for politics. Anyway, the design was given the ok from Navy Commander, funding was ready and in 1882 first piece of her keel manufactured in Vasiliades Shipyard, the only shipyard in that time of Hellenic Kingdom capable of building iron structures. These cruisers were 100% home built and featured some old characteristics, such as the round-shaped, steam driven gun turrets (Aris Vasiliades himshelf was nicknamed "master of steam") and its steam engines, which could be traced back in 1850's. But this design was a proven, very succesful design of Vasiliades team, built now in larger scale. The name of the first ship was Hydra (Ύδρα) from the island, as all four ships of the class. The ships were known, however, as "Battleship Type Tompazis I".
Hydra was ready for trials in late 1886, she exceed actually her theoritical speed of 17.5kn with full load of coal, achieving 18.2kn at Saronikos Bay. Last ship,named Samos (Σάμος) was ready in 1894. In mid 1900's the turrets converted to electric power, together with a small modernisation. Tombazis I class was finally decommisioned in 1920 and scrapped, except for one ship which was preserved but unfortunately destroyed completely during WW2 by German bombers.

Some specifications:

Dimensions : 107.5m X 16.8m X 7m
Displacement: ~5600tn
Armour : 30-80mm
Armament : Two double 270mm turrets, four double 152mm side turrets, four fixed underwater torpedo tubes (2 facing aft and two foward),smaller guns (not decided yet).
Propulsion: 8 Vasiliades boilers, 2 reciprocating steam engines,7200hp total
Speed: Max 17.5kn (18.2kn trials)

The design is inspired from Haram No.1, but only turrets are coming directly from her. Small boats were added by Navarchos,as also anchors and masts.

[ img ]
image hosting

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 17th, 2013, 5:30 pm
Just a small detail: i actually drew those ships' boats for my British ACRs...
One note too: the secondary turrets look way off for the time period, that I assume you've depicted it for (ca. 1900-04) They look like muzzle loaders; in fact so does the main armament; or their caliber is very short (something like cal. 30) So, not a very efficient design as it stands right now.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: December 17th, 2013, 6:05 pm
The caliber of main turrets is about the same with real Hellenic Psara of 1880, while similar turrets could be found in US Civil War.

Yes,the Tompazis Mk1 was not very efficient and somewhat primitive design. But, as I said, she was the first entirely hellenic developed armoured cruiser. In Balkan wars they are used for fire support and for coastal defence in WW1, when they were completely obsolete.
Later designs of early and mid 1900's (Tompazis II/III) were similar with the Japanese Fuji or the Mikasa, the Tompazis III featured also a indigenous steam turbine. First "dreadnought" battleships of RHN were the Salamis/Vasilefs Constantinos, ordeded in Germany and France, but completed in 1920's just like Navarchos wrote in back up history of his Hellas Battleship.

I passed the ship to Navarhos to complete her.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 39 of 76  [ 756 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 137 38 39 40 4176 »

Jump to: