Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: October 10th, 2013, 2:27 pm
IDK though, the MZ-3A looks pretty "standard" as blimps come... so maybe it's not far off to assume that a modern version would look quite similar to the 60s USN blimps. Who really knows...

Anyway, more interested to know if my placement of stuff like the MAD bird and HF dipoles is accurate or believable at all.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: October 10th, 2013, 2:47 pm
Colosseum wrote:
IDK though, the MZ-3A looks pretty "standard" as blimps come... so maybe it's not far off to assume that a modern version would look quite similar to the 60s USN blimps. Who really knows...

Anyway, more interested to know if my placement of stuff like the MAD bird and HF dipoles is accurate or believable at all.
Well, any military design is a series of trade-offs (for example, aerodynamic efficiency vs. combat payload), and there is nothing wrong with sticking with something that works, and there is no reason to assume that they didn't happen upon a sweet-spot in the design over fifty years ago.

As for the second point, I'm not expert, but I don't see any major problems.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: October 10th, 2013, 11:23 pm
I'm just curious, but couldn't your coast guard, (or equivalent) find quite a few uses for airships?

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: October 11th, 2013, 12:38 am
Yes, the coast guard is part of the Navy. Hence why I have "anti-piracy" and "anti-smuggling" in the list of roles. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: October 12th, 2013, 7:48 pm
Also - at SMS, the "story" of North Point is changing. It's no longer going to be a small neutral backwater... rather a small backwater that occasionally participates in conflicts in support of allied nations. I am not sure if I'm going to bother changing the ORBAT to reflect this as I think the NP Security Forces are already a bit overgunned anyway... but just want to establish that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 13th, 2013, 6:17 am
So, the new Conqueror class, thanks to LEUT_East:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 13th, 2013, 6:23 am
That looks awesome mate...thanks for using my design.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 13th, 2013, 6:41 am
Thank you for allowing me to use it... it's really a fantastic drawing by itself!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 13th, 2013, 7:23 am
The Ardent class (thanks to Gunship for reworking the original F-100 from MihoshiK and MConrads):

[ img ]

And with a blue hull (I can't decide):

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 13th, 2013, 9:27 am
just a few minor nitpicks on the ardent:
- the RAM launcher is now slamming into your structure, it should be the other way around
- I personally hate that harpoon launcher, with it's black blobs.
- I have doubts about the emergency propulsion unit from the perry fitting this design, which is larger and of much later date.
- the coolwater inlets seem not to be at the positions they should be on this ship. there are a 4 around the aft engine room (diesels?) 2 at the stabiliser room (where I see no use for them except if there is an diesel generator there) and 2 underneath the bridge, where there might be an diesel generator but I doubt it.
I would take one for each diesel generator (or one per pair, if they are paired) two or 4 for the gas turbine room and one for each diesel main engine.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: