Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 24  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1024 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: November 5th, 2013, 3:26 pm
I assume it's sort of like the Block V Virginia, with a whole hell of a lot of cruise missiles, but that doesn't explain the SLBM on the picture (which I would expect, for Trident reasons, to be too long to fit in those tubes). In any case, a compelling treaty-based argument could be made that you don't want your SSNs to be able to carry ballistic missiles.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: November 5th, 2013, 3:27 pm
I agree with Hood's statement regarding the Galarra class. I wouldn't want to be on the business end of her artillery. I've been tinkering with similar ideas myself, but haven't gotten around completing them.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: November 5th, 2013, 4:03 pm
erik_t wrote:
I assume it's sort of like the Block V Virginia, with a whole hell of a lot of cruise missiles, but that doesn't explain the SLBM on the picture (which I would expect, for Trident reasons, to be too long to fit in those tubes). In any case, a compelling treaty-based argument could be made that you don't want your SSNs to be able to carry ballistic missiles.
First, please keep in mind that some of the weapons (Tomahawk, Trident, SeaLance) are stand-ins for the Californian equivalent, and US-Californian relations are not to the point where the US would be willing to export nuclear systems (US-Callie relations have been rocky since the early 1890s with the Hawai'ian coup fails). The Cordays have the ability to fit SLBMs, but often don't. IIRC, it's a fitted for not with situation.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: November 5th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Very nice derivatives of RL designs. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: November 5th, 2013, 7:10 pm
TimothyC wrote:
First, please keep in mind that some of the weapons (Tomahawk, Trident, SeaLance) are stand-ins for the Californian equivalent, and US-Californian relations are not to the point where the US would be willing to export nuclear systems (US-Callie relations have been rocky since the early 1890s with the Hawai'ian coup fails). The Cordays have the ability to fit SLBMs, but often don't. IIRC, it's a fitted for not with situation.
Missiles are size they are for a reason. I don't care if it's Trident or California Whatever, they presumably abide by the same physics I do. In any case, you're not fitting a modern SLBM in an attack hull (even Polaris required a substantial turtleback, and that's a 1500nmi-class missile), and there are very obvious reasons that you would not want to be able to do so.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: November 5th, 2013, 7:55 pm
The missile was too long and this has been corrected in the uploaded version.

It is a lighter, two-stage version of the full-size three-stage SLBM carried by the SSBNs, meant for low-trajectory attack of coastal or near-coastal targets of opportunity in the event of a period of rising tension allowed re-arming of the SSN force. START was not signed by California - being between the two superpowers at the distance they are created a desire for more launch platforms, even if they were very sub-optimal ones. Their world is a hideously dangerous place, where there are devolved governments with launch-on-warning capability for tactical nuclear forces.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: November 5th, 2013, 8:07 pm
Hood wrote:
Nice additions. The Galarra destroyer looks a real monster. I really like the way you've mixed up the various Super Daring concepts into something looking quite powerful and mean, an all-gun County in effect. The hull looks a little skinny though.
The Marumara likewise, looks a little over-stretched and thin for a viable submarine design.
That's actually a Dido hull under there, rather than all of the destroyer-based designs - you should have seen what the original much shallower one looked like - that looked too skinny.

The Marumara is about 'November' sized, after a mix-up with a 'Churchill'.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: November 23rd, 2013, 12:20 am
[ img ]

Updated, and, again, USN weapons are only there because I have not drawn an equivalent yet.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: December 8th, 2013, 6:07 am
The Duchess Cardinia class of destroyers would be approaching the end of their service-lives at the start of the 2020's - facing a decision on replacement, two options were chosen for further refinement in the 2000's - a high-risk trimaran platform, and low-risk legacy, building on the Challenger cruisers line - literally, in this case. One of the 2015 cruisers was delayed, and a prototype, the Antimache ordered in her stead. (A sub-scale trimaran, like Triton is currently serving as a training ship for the Imperial & Royal Naval College, the legacy of the alternative path not taken.)

The close of the CLG line will lead directly into production of the new frigate line, being based on (very) similar platforms, hopefully with little disruption and cost overrun. These ships are deemed 'frigates' due to a combination of their large size, as cruisers, and built to those standards, and an attempt to avoid political questions about why 'destroyers' and 'cruisers' are almost completely the same at this point.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: The Isle of CaliforniaPosted: December 8th, 2013, 10:36 am
Hmm, what kind of missile is in the rightmost?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 24  [ 239 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1024 »

Jump to: