Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: October 17th, 2013, 1:05 pm
Nice work. A interesting series and it shows just how small these flightdecks were when you compare to other carriers you've drawn.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: October 18th, 2013, 7:39 pm
Thanks mate. I suppose these are about the smallest you could go, and none of the three classes had a catapault so they only ever carried Swordfish. Being relativley slow and not much wind over the deck it must have been hairy trying to take off and land especially on the smaller grain carriers. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: October 18th, 2013, 7:56 pm
One minor nit you're using the old over-sized 20mm guns.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: October 18th, 2013, 8:37 pm
Yeah I hear what you are saying Thiel. The simple answer to that one is I don't like the new guns. Admitidly they are the correct size but to my mind they don't look like a 20mm Bofors. The second point is I will be bogged if in the interest of commonality I am going to change at least a dozen of my other drawings. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: October 18th, 2013, 9:15 pm
they could get away with being so small as the sword fish could get arborne at a mere 50knots and a landing speed of 40knots on a ship able to do 20knots it almost just hovered onto the deck........

[Profile] [Quote]
Skybert
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: November 17th, 2013, 3:36 pm
Great work on the Rapana class Bombhead, congratulations. it's right in my window of opportunity as I am building a deck and bridge diorama in 1/72 of the HMS Macoma with a Fairy Swordfish, while Googling for information and images i came across these forums.

I might be tempted to build the whole ship, as the size is just in agreement with the space i coud make to display it.. But i would need more drawings of the ship. Are there any suggestions where to get more details?

Greetings

Skybert

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: November 17th, 2013, 7:28 pm
Thanks Skybert and a timely reminder to post these. Good luck with your model. 8-)

Empire-class grain carriers
Approximately 8,000 tons deep load, 12 knots, 4 aircraft, crew 107, launched December 1942-January 1944. Equipped with hangar and lift. Armament: 1 x single 4 in (102 mm) QF MK IV, 2 x single 40 mm Bofors, 4 x single 20 mm Oerlikon cannons.
• MV Empire MacAlpine
• MV Empire MacAndrew
• MV Empire MacCallum
• MV Empire MacDermott
• MV Empire MacKendrick
• MV Empire MacRae
Empire-class oil tankers
Approximately 9,000 tons deep load, 11 knots, 3 aircraft, crew 122, launched May–July 1943. BP tankers. No hangar and lift; aircraft maintained and stored on deck. Armament: 1 x single 4 in (102 mm) QF MK IV, 8 x single 20 mm Oerlikon cannons.
• MV Empire MacCabe
• MV Empire MacColl
• MV Empire MacKay
• MV Empire MacMahon
Rapana-class oil tankers
8,000 tons standard, 16,000 tons deep load, 12 knots, 3 aircraft, crew 118 (64 RN plus 54 MN), converted 1942-44. Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Company tankers. No hangar and lift; aircraft maintained and stored on deck. Armament: 1 x single 4 in (102 mm) QF MK IV, 2 x single 40 mm Bofors, 6 x single 20 mm Oerlikon cannons.
• MV Acavus
• MV Adula
• MV Alexia
• MV Amastra
• MV Ancylus: operated Swordfish II of ‘O’ Flight, 860 NAS
• MV Gadila: operated under the Dutch ensign with Swordfish of 'S' Flight, 860 NAS
• MV Macoma: operated under the Dutch ensign with Swordfish of 'O' (later 'F') Flight, 860 NAS
• MV Miralda
• MV Rapana: operated Swordfish II of ‘L’ Flight, 836 NAS
Amastra and Ancylus ceased operating Swordfish in late 1944, the empty decks often being used to ferry aircraft from the USA to the UK.

CAM ships
Eight CAM ships were requisitioned from private owners, two of which were sunk: Daghestan, Daltonhall, Eastern City, Helencrest, Kafiristan, Michael E (sunk), Novelist, Primrose Hill (sunk).[3]
27 CAM ships were Ministry of War Transport owned Empire ships, ten of which were sunk: Empire Burton (sunk), Empire Clive, Empire Darwin, Empire Day, Empire Dell (sunk), Empire Eve (sunk), Empire Faith, Empire Flame, Empire Foam, Empire Franklin, Empire Gale, Empire Heath, Empire Hudson (sunk), Empire Lawrence (sunk), Empire Moon, Empire Morn, Empire Ocean, Empire Rainbow (sunk), Empire Ray, Empire Rowan (sunk), Empire Shackleton (sunk), Empire Spray, Empire Spring (sunk), Empire Stanley, Empire Sun, Empire Tide, Empire Wave (sunk).[3]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: November 17th, 2013, 8:23 pm
Great additions Bombhead. I might do the post war civilian ship out of these

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: November 17th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Another excellent work from King of Aircraft Carriers! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: MAC and CAM shipsPosted: November 17th, 2013, 8:49 pm
That would be great Novice. I found a good pic of a model of a Bank Class if you fancy doing that too. Then I can covert her to a CAM ship. :P PM me if you fancy it.
Thanks eswube my friend.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: