Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 11:49 am
TimothyC wrote:
On the ASW version, the MK-25 BPDMS is in a bad place. I'm also not convinced that the small 40mm (I think) gun atop the super structure is in a good place.
While we're on the topic, I'm not seeing any guidance for the SeaSparrow
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
Also, this is for SMS, there is no USA or Russia to withhold weapons. :P
The flipside of that is that there's no USA or USSR to make those weapons either.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 1:32 pm
I'm going to interject myself here with a little statement about Statesmanship canon.

Real-world weapons are accepted. Some tried to explain how there real-world weapons were made and/or their place in a parallel universe or something, but it was just decided as being pedantic anyway.

I feel sorry for you, I agree you must have such terrible life, and no girl give you attention, The boys leaved because they were not having a safe feeling when beeing with you. Police never found you. Docters did suidice, because they where impressed you was not killed by birth :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumer
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 3:32 pm
A bit of explination on the logic here. I've kept the bay on the rear hull that is used for the Limbo mortars, but left it as part of a modular system. I think I can give her a strike length mk.41, but she'll need a larger deck house. That VLS is really there to hold sea sparrows only. The ABLs are there as a placeholder for something almost the same, but not so armoured. I want long range cruise missiles for that variant, if only for anti-shipping.

I really like the Oto 127mm gun, so it's there to stay just for that reason. I don't even like replacing it with the ASROC launcher.
Weapon kit is going to be as follows (Not all on the same variant obviously).
Main gun: OTO 127mm
AA Gun: Fast Forty
SR SAM: Sea Sparrow (Later ESSM)
MR SAM: SM-1MR
LR SAM: SM-1ER
Anti-Ship: Harpoon
Strike: Tomahawk
ASW Missile: ASROC

I really want to fit the SM-1ER in there somehow, which is a problem for the Mk.13. If I could get ASROC and SM-1ER firing from the Mk.13 I'd slap one on there and call it a day, but they won't take. Mk.26 is an option, AAW variant is supposed to get it, although that may turn into a GP variant as Mk.26 will take everything but the tomahawk and sea sparrow.

Sea sparrow on the ASW is just slapped in there to fill space while I think of something else. I'm not worried about export restrictions (In fact I'm ignoring them), but the idea is kit updated in the 1990s. So I want to avoid the Mk.41 as much as possible (Although it's there for a placer again), just because I don't like it.

Honestly, if I thought I could get away with it on a 3kt ship I'd slap a Mk.26 in there and be done with all variants. Figure out where to put the Sea Sparrows of course, and make a sideline variant with a helo deck Ala HMSC Fraser and let-er-rip.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 3:38 pm
one other thing: the fast fourty was introduced somewhat later (don't know exactly when) and it might be an better idea to put an compact 40mm/70 on board instead (the one commonly known as the dardo gun, although that is the name of the combat system around it)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 3:59 pm
Why SM-1? Early in their service lifes it makes sence, but the moment you start introducing ESSM you might as well throw them overboard. While it's shroter ranged that ER, it can outrun and outrange the MR, weighs a sixth of the ER

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumer
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 4:30 pm
Thiel wrote:
Why SM-1? Early in their service lifes it makes sence, but the moment you start introducing ESSM you might as well throw them overboard. While it's shroter ranged that ER, it can outrun and outrange the MR, weighs a sixth of the ER
ESSM is a future expectation, not existing. Simple Sea Sparrows for now. Will update the 40mm when I do another round of layouts. All concepting at this point.

At this point if I'm only going to be firing SM-1ER from Mk.10, and it will only be useful for that, Mk.13 is looking better and better.

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumer
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Translated some of my deck plan stuff into PS.

Six full decks of course. Well, semi-cramped.
Colour codes are as follows:
- Red: Weapons
- Blue: Command/Comms
- Green: Accomodations
- Yellow: Mess/Supplies/Food storage
- Gray: Machinery
- Pink: Wet stowage (Fuel?)
- Orange: Misc.

[ img ]

The idea being everybody but the Captain gets a 2-bunk cabin. Maybe not a very roomy one (Lol small), but they get one.
System is going to be COGAG (In case you didn't guess already), And the mess deck isn't actually seperated by engineering space, that's just space left for the uptake system.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 8:56 pm
You're short an aft peak tank.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 9:58 pm
Ok thoughts:

If you really want to launch SM-1ER and SM-2ER Blk 1-3 missiles you have to have either a Mk-4, Mk-8, Mk-9, or Mk-10 GMLS. (the Mk(s) 8, 9, and 10 are represented on shipbucket with a single launcher). The size disparity between the Standard MR and Standard ER missiles can be seen with this graphic:

[ img ]

I am really not sure why you want both Standard MR and NSSM/Aspide on a single hull, as the only hulls that were so configured were some Marina Militare ships (4 destroyers each of which had a hull 50% bigger than the one you use here) [This excludes the ESSM mounts on the Perry upgrades].

If you really want a single rail launcher, one thing you might consider is the Mk-10, or even a shortened Mk-10 with a shorter booster. This would still not be as compact as a Mk-13, but would let you fire ASROCs without having a pepper box.

I really think before you go any further, you need to think "What roll do these ships play in my strategic planning?" To answer that you need to know the answer to "What is my strategic plan?"

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumer
Post subject: Re: Royal Sumerian NavyPosted: January 9th, 2011, 10:54 pm
I'm not sure where you're getting that I am putting NSSM and SM-MR on the same hull. Presuming you mean same hull and not just same hull design. Current type/loads are along the following lines. With all variants carrying the 127mm gun and either one (Or two, not decided, likely one) twin-forty AA guns.

Primary variants:
- AAW: Mk.13 with SM-MR and Harpoon
- ASW: Pad/Hangar for helicopter, Mk.16 ASROC launcher (Undecided if with reloads, likely with Harpoon though)
- ASuW: Tomahawks. Somehow fitting tomahawks.

Likely the following as well.
- LR-AAW: SM-1ER
- Patrol/Inf: Little more then a boat for support of naval infantry, for duties in VLIC.

That's my idea for now. SSM is a strong option for point AD for everything but the primary AAW ship, as SM-MR does not need it. With RAM being a replacement on refits for it. I think that makes the point. My one idea is, if I can fit it, Mk.13 and Mk.16 on the same hull, and have only one primary variant. Brooke class did it with the Mk.22 and a helicopter hangar on around the same displacement, so I'm tempted, as this will not have the hangar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: