Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 9  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page « 1 … 5 6 7 8 9 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 11:33 am
SINJOORTJE wrote:
Yeah, I'm serious. An example is the Kiev class carriers. They have multiple SSM, SAM, and guns while having a large air wing and flightdeck.
:lol:

No.

Read up on what the Project 1143 ships were, and their assigned mission was before you respond.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 12:03 pm
In short the Kiev class was build to counter NATO ASW forces.
As such the fighters are there to provide aircover for the fleet, but not strike capability like on western carriers. That role is taken up by the missiles.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 1:44 pm
Thiel wrote:
In short the Kiev class was build to counter NATO ASW forces.
As such the fighters are there to provide aircover for the fleet, but not strike capability like on western carriers. That role is taken up by the missiles.
Exactly. The 1143s were designed (like the 1123s) to defend the boomer bastions against NATO ASW groups and subs hunting soviet SSBNs. STOVL fighters on ships don't start to become major air threats until the deployment of active radar AAMs like AMRAAM, R-77, and R-27AE.

[Profile] [Quote]
SINJOORTJE
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 5:26 pm
Yes, I know that but still, they are equipped with all the weapons that I said they have, and you are correct that they are not made for a battlecarrier type role they are still a prime example in everything but their mission. I have
spoken.
How's this?

Last edited by SINJOORTJE on July 25th, 2011, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 5:45 pm
[quote="SINJOORTJE"]Yes, I know that but still, they are equipped with all the weapons that I said they have, and you are correct that they are not made for a battlecarrier type role they are still a prime example in everything but their mission.[/quote ] no they are not. Their aircraft lacks the range and payload to carry out the strike mission you envision.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
SINJOORTJE
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Yes I know that the Yak-38s were only meant to attack P-3s, and that is why I said that the ship is similar in design to a battlecarrier concept. I have spoken.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 7:24 pm
Please quit ending your posts with the phrase "I have spoken". It's obnoxious and arrogant, particularly when your posts lack... substance.

Also, your ship below is a strange one. The main gun is too large to be really useful, you have harpoon launchers when your VLS cells are perfectly capable of launching ship-to-ship missiles.
Your harpoons also don't have any where for the back-blast to go, so you're going to melt holes in your superstructure (I believe).
You have a very very off radar and electronics set up.
You have an unnecessarily large set of decoy launchers. I don't think you need that many.
The design is also stupid, but I thought I would be helpful mainly.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 7:55 pm
Yak-38 was not "supposed to attack just P-3s", it's sole existence as a operational aircraft is merely political. One needs to know the rather sad yet interesting history of Soviet aicraft carrier development to fully understand the idea behind Yak-38 and the whole pr. 1143 design. As an aircraft Yak-38 was merely a technological demostrator dressed up in comabt uniform due false belives and hopes of certain soviet military leaders about VSTOL planes being the future of military aviation. It started up being "what if we could get them shipborne" then changing into "what if it's follow-on would be able to actually do something" and ending up "well we don't need no real aircrafts becouse the follow-on will kick some serious ass"

But thats bit derailing. In general the idea of modern battleships is as pointless as modern torbedoboats...there is just better stuff around to fullfill the roles of battleships.

[Profile] [Quote]
SINJOORTJE
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 8:18 pm
If I an wrong about the yak-38 then I apologize, but the book I read said that they were carried to attack P-3 Orions.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Modern Battleships- The BB(X)Posted: July 22nd, 2011, 8:24 pm
Even if we assume a semi-functional airwing (F-35Bs, V-22s covering COD, ASW, and AEW), the ship still has to either turn to unmask the missile directors if attacked, or has to turn for optimal wind over the deck for air ops. These two options have to be assumed to be mutually exclusive - and explains why the Invincibles lost the Sea Dart mount, and to a lesser degree why the Kitty Hawks lost their Terrier mounts (and why Enterprise and JFK never received theirs).

CSGN Mk2 and MEU were further through-deck cruiser concepts for the USN that never went anywhere. It goes to show that hybrid warships don't have a place, and if one reviews history they never did.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 9  [ 90 posts ]  Return to β€œGeneral Discussion” | Go to page « 1 … 5 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: