Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 29th, 2011, 10:35 am
I second Lazer's opinion. I too, am relying very heavily on photographic evidence to produce the best rendering possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 29th, 2011, 7:44 pm
While I usually try to use pictures for my drawings, this is not allways possible, for instance when doing a Never Built design. I also would like to point out that many line drawings are in thenselves not credited, so this discussion is quite moot. The instance where one uses a known artist's work as the only source requires in all curtesy to mention the artist, if nothing else, but good manners. This is my two bob for you.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: September 30th, 2011, 5:26 pm
That's right mate.I couldn't have summed it up better myself. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 9:42 am
I would say that even with the most slavish copying of a basic linedrawing that 90% of the time with the extra parts we add and own colours and shading etc the drawings always end up being different to the base line drawing, especially when other details from photos etc are added. However in the case here, the end product seems to be too close to the orginal and should really be credited.

I always felt that once people started tracing that we would end up with the situation. Perhaps the best advice is not to copy/ trace existing coloured artwork and use blanks instead.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
DigitalShipyard
Post subject: Re: Reference-credit discussionPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 2:08 pm
Many good points discussed here and I appreciate your thoughts. I've understood for years that when putting your work out there on the internet, it will be found and utilized. I have (quite often accidently) found my ship drawings used on websites, travel vacation brouchure magazine ads to personalized coffee mugs. I've had people hand me thier business card with my own ship drawing(s) on them... This type of thing happens. Generally it doesn't bother me, usually it brings a smirk or a smile to my face if anything...

We all know souces can be many venues... plans, sketches, photos, paintings, even a sailor's memories. I have no problem with my drawings being utilized to create SB versions of these ships, though being this is a public forum, a little nod or mention is appreciated can go a long way if one should find my works particularily helpful. I hold no ill feelings toward Chris, and again I really appreciate your thoughts posted above.

Well, enough of my blathering, I think I have a ship in some digital-dry-dock to draw... 8-)

Thanks guys

~John

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: