Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
DigitalShipyard
Post subject: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: July 29th, 2011, 12:12 pm
I just discovered this place a few days ago and I must say I'm very impressed. I've been drawing ship profiles for many many years. Knowing I'm not the only one out here who loves to draw ships in this style, I had no idea that so many people shared this passion for drawing profiles of ships. I primarily draw ships that sail the Great Lakes as I live in Michigan and these ships have always been close and part of our lives in this region. (I have a website where you can see my works, but I'm not sure if it appropriate to post links in this post - maybe someone can answer that for me). Years ago in the 90's I started drawing ships on the computer in MS Paint as you guys here are; for the last 10 years or so I have been drawing in Photoshop. I am really impressed with the quality of drawings presented here, the attention to detail and research you guys are putting into your work is fantastic. Knowing the limitations of MS Paint I am amazed at what I see. Great Work Guys! ~John

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: July 29th, 2011, 1:19 pm
Welcome on board!
Probably most of us visited your site.

It would be great to add your drawings to our archive... The only concern is to follow our standard but I guess that this is would be not a big issue.

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: July 29th, 2011, 4:20 pm
I've seen your works, John; very impressive! I've even used one of them as a reference for one of my drawings ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: July 29th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Welcome! Your work over there has been a huge inspiration for me as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
DigitalShipyard
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: July 29th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Hi Lazer, Whyme and CanisD,

Lazer, I recieved your PM but the system would not let me PM a reply for some reason...? I must be too new on this site... anyhow, Yes, that is my site, Great Lakes Shipping Profiles. If you go to the "Other Works Gallery" from the homepage, scroll past my (humorous) childhood drawings you will see a few of the MS Paint ships I drew. It's been so long since I drew in MS Paint, I would have to play around with it again. I read through some of your standards and I like the fact that you all follow a protocol to these drawings so they are the same scale, style, etc. keeps the "playing field" level. I have a lot of projects in the works right now, but perhaps down the road I'll give it a shot at MS Paint again to add something here...

WhyMe, I found your T/S State Of Micigan, well done! That was a commisioned drawing I did for the Maritime Academy in Traverse City, MI several years ago, around 2004. At first it had a dark green hull then a few years ago they asked if I could update to the dark blue hull they had painted her and add the underwater portion which I did. My earlier drawings were waterline only; I avoided the underwater portion because at the time I was unsure if I could shade it correctly to give it the proper shape and "feel" I was after, but later did figure it out. I draw all my ships full hull now and offer a waterline version by simply cutting off the bottom at a load line. Gives a choice to perspective print buyers.

Thank you CanisD! I am happy to see others out there that enjoy this hobby of drawing ships as much as I do.

~John

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: July 29th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Wellcome aboard. I've also visited your site, and I'd like to add that not all of the artists here use MS Paint, as some even use, lo and behold, Photoshop. I myself use MS Paint.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: July 30th, 2011, 1:57 am
I hadn't seen your site till now and I an really impressed! Hope to see some fantastic stuff from you!

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
DigitalShipyard
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: July 30th, 2011, 3:48 pm
Thanks guys, I guess I misunderstood when I first read through the guidelines, I thought the use of MS Paint was the standard, but images created to your format code can be created in any artwork software, good to know....

I am cuurently working on a renderiing of the Kaye E. Barker
http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/ ... barker.jpg

Here's a little history of the ship:

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/kebarker.htm

It will be a while before she's done, these drawings can gereally take a couple of months to research and create. I am a father of 3 and I work full time so sometimes "free time" to draw boats can be hard to find....

~John

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: August 1st, 2011, 12:21 am
DigitalShipyard wrote:
It will be a while before she's done, these drawings can gereally take a couple of months to research and create. I am a father of 3 and I work full time so sometimes "free time" to draw boats can be hard to find....

~John
I feel your pain, father of two, grandfather of 2 (ages 2 and 4) I work nights and babysit them during the day.
Welcome to the club.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Ships of the Great LakesPosted: August 1st, 2011, 12:43 am
I don't feel the same pain but sort of similar, being student studying VCE at a really hard school and in a chore intensive household! I'm struggling to find a spare minute to draw

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: