Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 16th, 2013, 8:24 am
I'm surprised no one has mentioned World War Z. (the book, not the abomination of an upcoming movie sharing only the name) Ships play a vital role as refuges from the zombie onslaught, maintaining global communications, government, etc...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 16th, 2013, 8:57 am
CanisD wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned World War Z. (the book, not the abomination of an upcoming movie sharing only the name) Ships play a vital role as refuges from the zombie onslaught, maintaining global communications, government, etc...
I need to buy this book already. Zombie Survival Guide was awesome.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 16th, 2013, 9:39 am
What you all need for killing Zombies is a armybof Viking's, with occasional a single Viking that do drugs!

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 16th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Yeah, but do you want to deal with the eventual Viking zombies?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 8:42 am
The only fundamental question I have is behind all these plans is... where are you going to get the fuel from to run these ships unless you've got a couple of dozen floating supertankers out there ready packed to the gunnels with diesel oil? The bigger the ships and the bigger the fleet you have the more fuel your going to need. Unless you secure some oil fields (or rigs) and a refinery those six Alaskas aren't going to be at sea long enough to reclaim anything (although I doubt you'd need to use anything other than a low cruising speed). I feel the outer space option is probably best myself.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 11:47 am
To get to outer space you need about 30kg of fuel to get 1kg into orbit and once there you will suffer bone decalcification and muscle loss over time, and there is an increased risk of cancer due to the increased radiation levels. and we don't know if we can breed in micro-gravity.

It is lot better and cheaper to stay on earth.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 12:24 pm
APDAF wrote:
To get to outer space you need about 30kg of fuel to get 1kg into orbit and once there you will suffer bone decalcification and muscle loss over time, and there is an increased risk of cancer due to the increased radiation levels. and we don't know if we can breed in micro-gravity.

For this one... 10m up in the air, the final frontier.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 12:46 pm
Oh look, it's APDAF being an idiot again. At this rate I'm going to start calling you Wheatley*
APDAF wrote:
To get to outer space you need about 30kg of fuel to get 1kg into orbit
No. The payload fraction for the Falcon Heavy (no reason not to use it for this math) is 1:26.5. Minor, but when you act like an idiot I'm going to nit-pick things.
APDAF wrote:
and once there you will suffer bone decalcification and muscle loss over time
We don't actually know what happens when you put people in low gravity (as opposed to microgravity) environments for extended periods. Why don't we find out before we throw up barriers?
APDAF wrote:
and there is an increased risk of cancer due to the increased radiation levels.
So you cover your environment with lots of lunar regolith and set up colonies in the moon not on the moon (cookie for the reference).
APDAF wrote:
and we don't know if we can breed in micro-gravity.
Dude, grow up - we'll find a way, and there are no mechanical issues with reproduction in low gravity environments, they might just never be able to come to Earth.
APDAF wrote:
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision." - Randal Monroe

*"He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived."

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 1:21 pm
Whilst TimothyC is murdering APDAF I propose either we go fully Iron Sky and become the equivalent of moon Nazis for the next 60-70 years or the following.
  • A somewhat retrograde step propulsion wise to COSAG (solid fuel boilers for the steam plant optimized for wood more than likely).
  • A hull suitably stressed for conditions far north or far south in icy and heavy conditions
  • Air conditioning and climate control for operations in equatorial climates
  • A comprehensive NBC system
  • Substantial cargo holds for both solid fuel and any other essentials that might be required other than existing stores
  • A heli-pad and hangar capable of operating up-to a pair of reasonably large helicopters or a multitude of smaller ones or w/e.
  • Boat handling facilities for landing craft to go and retrieve survivors, fuel, supplies et al.
  • Permanent accommodation for X amount in addition to the crew with austere accommodation for X amount more as required
  • Armed to counter hostile action to a reasonable extent (7.62mm > 40mm and possibly MANPADS)
  • Comprehensive medical facilities and quarantine facilities
  • Greenhouses for at least an element of self sustainability as well as somewhere to keep chickens and the like

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 1:33 pm
Or just Go to Norway and use all those 1000 og under ground bases from The cold war, most og Them is fullt upgradet and have just been taken Out og service. ONE standard underground base kan take from 500 to 10000 people. And The have a lot og tactical positions. And then we have all those german ww2 bunkers...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: