Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 45  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1845 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 16th, 2014, 11:24 am
Of course Hellenic Army ordered training tanks. In real world, the British tank came second behind the German one in 2003 Tank Competition of Hellenic Army. For my scenario timeline is late 1980's to mid 1990's for Leopard 2A4 (or its equivalent Challenger) and early to late 2000's for Leopard 2A6 (or its equivalent Challenger). Leopard I project was from early 1970's to mid 1980's.

I think "battalion" is the word needed. Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 16th, 2014, 3:56 pm
Of course by the term "tanks for training" I didn't mean driver-training vehicle like this:
[ img ]
but a standard, fully combat-capable tanks that simply wouldn't be attached to combat units, but to school/training centre of armored troops.
Same applies for other types of armored vehicles, artillery, air defence systems, engineering, signals etc. etc. equipment.
There are no "standard rules" about how many pieces of any given type of equipment should be used by such schools nor how it should be organized, but there are some "usual ways".
Sometimes a school would have an integral unit (company, battalion, in some larger armies even regiment/brigade) with relevant types of equipment, sometimes a school would have a separate unit (that at least theoretically could be combat-capable on it's own) "working for it". As for the numbers of particular types of equipment in such schools it would depend on needs, training cycle etc. but generally these would tend to be a "tactically viable" amounts (platoon-sized, company-sized etc.). For an army like in Your AU, I'd say that schools of armor and of artillery would probably use battalion-sized training units (2-3 tank companies, company of IFV's and company of armored recce vehicles, for example).
And of course certain types of equipment, particularly those used in very small numbers, by small number of units, sometimes are not represented in their "combat form" in service schools, but simply one of the combat units "borrows" it's equipment for training (though most likely a school would have some training equipment for the type).

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 16th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Ok, but which tank to choose?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 16th, 2014, 7:39 pm
If You're going to have - as written before - both Leopard 2 and Challenger 2 in use, then once company of each type. And if there's also M60 then possibly third with these (unless it's in reserve/territorial defence units, when I'd say it's "optional").

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 17th, 2014, 7:49 am
Only ONE type of these I will use ,not BOTH (Leopard OR Challenger).

M48/M60 are used by Autonomous Territories Defense Force (M60) and Island Defense Forces (M48). As a new tank is planned in the future (locally designed using the experience from all previous built), the old US tanks will be replaced by Leopard IA5M (two battalions equipped with Leo IA5M belong already to Hellenic Forces in Cyprus, 82 total).

Already some M48 have been converted to specialized units (Heavy APC Bear, mine cleaning/mine laying, "BMP-T" etc) while all M47 hulls have already converted mostly to TEL. All converted M47/M48 feature MTU 838 engine-which also was manufactured with license and modified later).

Last edited by odysseus1980 on March 21st, 2014, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 21st, 2014, 8:25 am
369 Leopard 2A4H and 246 Leopard 2A6H, plus training and bridge layer tanks for these, all manufactured by license. Gun would be 120/L44 and 120/L55, both capable of E-105/LAHAT also.

For 1940 Hellenic Army (AU) I thought using Vickers MkI/II tank, Vickers 6-ton and something similar with the Soviet T-28/Vickers_A1E1_Independent (actually a cross between). Majority of these built with license, the turret of the heavy tank is somewhat a "parallel" design. All tanks propelled by indigenous diesel engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Medium_Mark_I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Medium_Mark_II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_A1E1_Independent

There were 5-6 "Light" Tanks for one "Heavy" tank. The latter had a turret similar with T-28 with a modified Naval 3" gun.

How is this sound?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 6:04 am
For modern attack helicopter of Hellenic Army (AU) I thought using a variant of the Eurocopter EC665 Tiger. HLK joint the program in 1993 and first Tiger-H entered service in early 2000. Total 60 built to form three "squadrons", each with 16 units and 4 training.

The older Cobra-M had already passed in Marines, while the A-109H and some HC-270A are used by Island Defense Forces.

How does this sound?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 7:06 am
Probably more practical would be to have instead of 3 squadrons with both combat and operational training roles, 3 combat squadrons and 1 operational training (possibly within some training centre, together with other types).

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: May 6th, 2014, 12:12 pm
Which is this Italian weapon in circle on these corvettes? Seems interesting.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: May 6th, 2014, 12:26 pm
ASW Mortar/rockets so far as I can tell...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 45  [ 442 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1845 »

Jump to: