Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 15th, 2012, 12:12 am
One of the problems with modern technology on the bridge is that people can often switch off and and leave it to the computers... I don't know the details but it seems as though they ran straight into the island at full speed. I can't believe this was cause by a power cut. I hope those other 40 people turn up ashore.

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 15th, 2012, 2:19 am
2 people were found in a cabin on board.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 15th, 2012, 3:37 am
According to the local news here in Denmark they were about 7km off course.(or maybe nm, I doubt the reporter would know the difference.)

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 15th, 2012, 7:56 am
All pictures show the Costa Concordia listing to starboard, but there is a long gash on the port size. this makes me wonder? Was an attempt to counter-flood went out of hand, or the shop's subdivision was poorly designed?

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 15th, 2012, 8:26 am
There is no fixed course but it seems that "typically" the ship was cruising very near to the coast i.e. much less than 5 nm. There are some submerged rocks about 1-1.5 nm from the coast...

Yesterday on the italian tv shown an amatorial video taken from the coast showing a close passage happened last summer.

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 15th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Quote:
All pictures show the Costa Concordia listing to starboard, but there is a long gash on the port size
If she was pinned on the rocks when she started to flood, then she could have rolled away from the damage. By the time she comes clear, she's taking water through other openings. Alternatively, she is more damaged than so far seen.

- RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 1:00 am
Apparently, according to Sky at least it's been said they aren't going to salvage / refloat it due to the challenges involved to do so. Anybody got any thoughts on the matter?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 1:09 am
I doubt it. You don't just leave something like that lying about. She may not be reused, but she's going to be removed. It's not going to happen overnight though.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 1:11 am
Well, I figure they'll at least have to chop her up for scrap. I doubt the locals would be too keen on having a 950 foot long hulk sitting on their front door, slowly getting broken up by the weather, though I guess it could become a tourist attraction. I know the webcam owner that overlooks the wreck would be well advised to find a much more capable host. As soon as the sun comes up, it goes down due to traffic.
http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/129880 ... glio-Porto

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 1:18 am
They did said that she would be cut up, which was what got me, surely it would still be economically viable to refloat her?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: