Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 2:08 pm
I don't think will be such a big problem. it will be easy to reclaim and operate offshore oil platforms.

Also by the time we are building purpose built ships we will have recaptured enough infrastructure to equip and maintain them.

Blackbuck, those are a good set of requirements to work with

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 2:16 pm
Well we sure do have a lot of hardasses on this forum... :/

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 2:20 pm
Well, lets not call people idiots, while at same time posting at zombie thread...keeping some level among us all should be required from everyone

Aside that, if this thread is not starting to produce ships soon, I will instruct the mods to move it to the offtopic section.

carry on

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 2:27 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Hardasses, badasses, whiteasses ... even a female ass is here. All kind of asses, some of them at half price. :D

How about RORO ship like Wisteria Ace or Bob Hope ?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 17th, 2013, 2:47 pm
Rhade wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
Hardasses, badasses, whiteasses ... even a female ass is here. All kind of asses, some of them at half price. :D

How about RORO ship like Wisteria Ace or Bob Hope ?
Are I allowed to be a bit badass in my comment now!

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: June 7th, 2013, 10:17 pm
Part of me is screaming "BATTLESHIP!" but part of me is also screaming small craft with mortars and gattling guns....

[Profile] [Quote]
kellyj
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: June 18th, 2013, 4:52 pm
Just a minor nit-pick...
Assuming the traditional method of "killing" a zombie is a shot to the head (or any other method of causing significant trauma to the brain; axe, sword, chainsaw, club) we should rethink our weapons of choice for these ships. Think Walking Dead where the decapitated heads were still trying to bite your toes.
Sure, you can pump a lot of 5"+ shells onto your zombie infested beach landing zone, leaving lots of "dead" undead. But your still going to have a significant number of biting wounded. Arms missing and guts pouring out...but still viable biting machines.
The same with smaller caliber rapid fire guns. 3000 rounds a minute will lite up your beach...but only the head shots count.
So, with that consideration in mind, your anti-zombie navy needs a multiple staging effort. A large vessel that can hold station and provide long term supply, rest and recovery, and command/control. Supporting:
A vessel that can travel to within a few hundred feet of the shoreline, then stabilize itself to provide a good shooting platform. Probably something with support legs that can be lowered to the seafloor until they get a firm anchor, then the same action lifts the hull clear of wave action. Topped with a canopy/roof to keep your shooting teams out of the sun and dry in the rain. From this platform your shooting teams can get the precise shots needed to start dropping the undead; single headshots. Conservation of ammunition.
Small LCM type craft would ferry supplies and fresh shooters from your mother ship to the platforms.
Once you have a landing zone cleared larger landing craft then bring in land vehicles to start clearing outlying neighborhoods and streets and create a buffer zone. Your ground troops can then safely come ashore and begin the tedious house-to-house clearing of the undead followed by the wall building you will need to do to provide a safe zone.
In these phases the helo-det from the mothership is used to provide command/control to your ground forces.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: June 18th, 2013, 4:58 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJBmyDxtYE
I think you will loose more then an arm or an leg when hit by an projectile like this, which is pretty close to naval 5in ammo in size and explosive power.

[Profile] [Quote]
BoxOfRoundRocks
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: June 26th, 2013, 3:44 pm
LPD with some heavier gun like Yuzhao-class is a way to go, I think.

Forget LCACs and stuff like that, you don't need land any tanks against zombies. Reduce well deck's size by half and load rest of it with few LCMs and whole bunch of patrol boats. You get mobile and impregnable fortress at sea that can provide food, water, safety, medical services and hope for better tomorrow for around 1000 people.

..and yes, I drew awesome avatar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: June 26th, 2013, 4:52 pm
as there isen't any actual shipbucket drawings produced for this thread, its been moved to off-topic forum.

Carry on discussing about zombies.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: