Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Shipright
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 13th, 2013, 12:15 pm
The summary of my opinion is that they got the look right for the most part, the action right when there should be action (undfortunetely a Star Trek movie should not be 100% action), and the story and feel entirely wrong.

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 16th, 2013, 7:42 am
Saw the new film tonight. It was great, very enjoyable. Nothing else to say.

[Profile]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 17th, 2013, 5:56 pm
Groan :(

This so depressed me I've had to leave it for a week. In the meantime I've swapped ideas and read reviews, and nothing has changed my original critique. I'll leave it now, but thank you Charybdis - its good to know there is someone else out there who is still carrying the flame :)

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 17th, 2013, 6:07 pm
It's a film about spaceships. What are you expecting exactly?

[Profile]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 17th, 2013, 6:09 pm
Er, a bit of intelligence? No? O.K. :lol:

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 17th, 2013, 6:10 pm
I mean... it's a movie where "warp speed" exists, where "phasers" exist, where spaceships can travel in atmosphere - the intelligence is gone already IMO.

I'm just here to watch some dumb movie! :P

[Profile]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 17th, 2013, 6:26 pm
Yeah, you're right; I guess what I was hoping for was at least something that wasn't flat boring, and I've long accepted that the Star Trek/Star War's franchises long ago became so predictable that you could watch the trailers and more or less get the picture. In more way's that one). My difficulty is that I grew up with Ray Bradbury, Philip K Dick, Isaac Asimov, Paul Heinlen, to name a very few. And one of my hero's is J. Michael Straczynski, who, despite Warner Bro's managed to get his series to air - even though it was sabotaged by the 'suits' at the studio. the thing is, the suits now run the studio's, so you can't get a 'Star Trek' movie any more; instead, what you get is a blockbuster - totally formulaic - hence my jibe. It all boils down to passion, you either have it or you haven't. In short, I'd rather watch a Desilu episode any time than the crud that now passes itself off as 'Star Trek'

Either you care, or you don't ;)

Wow, I just realised something, you're not into Si-Fi; sorry, my bad :(

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad? (Star Trek Into Darkness)Posted: May 17th, 2013, 7:54 pm
I generally don't "like" modern films at all. If I see them it's only to be entertained by silly explosions et al. I'm not here for a storyline... for instance you won't see me rewatching Star Trek over and over like I do with old films (Lawrence of Arabia, A Bridge Too Far, etc).

[Profile]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad? (Star Trek Into Darkness)Posted: May 18th, 2013, 6:18 pm
I think I'm turning into a Troll.......folderole. I reckon I'm a bit obsessed about some things, and as Colo points out: it aint reality, just a film. It is a given (in my universe) that by and large Hollywood and SiFi just don't get on. Me and L.P. (and my dog) have just finished the final season of Babylon 5 - by far the best thing IMHO ever to have been screened as SiFi. notwithstanding the insane efforts of Warner Bros to ruin it by constant sabotage and interference. Out of all the great names I's say only Philip K Dick's work got transferred in reasonable shape to the big screen. Um....to paraphrase Shakespeare, first thing after the revolution, kill all the Hollywood producers :twisted: As my old mucker Colo has been the only person interested in sparring with me (for which I'm much appreciative) I'll end this now, and get back to other things :)

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: