Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 1:24 am
Blackbuck wrote:
They did said that she would be cut up, which was what got me, surely it would still be economically viable to refloat her?
Not necessarily. I wouldn't be surprised if she'll need an entirely new engine-room. That means they'll have to pretty much take her apart.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 1:32 am
Depends on the damage to the ship, the cost of bringing all the equipment needed to get her upright then raise her, etc... If she was on an even keel I would think they could save her, but over on her side like that makes it unlikely. Just the fact that she is over on her side is doing severe damage to the structure. Get a couple good storms in the area and she's toast. She's out in the open, not in a sheltered bay or harbor so wave action is going to hit her hard. If the bottom is rocky then her starboard side is going to be a mess as well from sitting there.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 3:28 pm
We've been engaging in some idle speculation on the prospects of re-floating her. It's probably not impossible, depending on the damage the hull has incurred - both in the original impact and movement on the sea bed since then. The problem is that, internally, she's going to be a complete loss - both machinery spaces appear to have been flooded and more significantly the cabins, galleys, entertainments etc will have been wiped out in the flooded part of the superstructure. That's a lot of outfitting and systems to refit.

And then there is the issue of association with this incident.

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 3:38 pm
I can't fathom that it'd be economical to rebuild and return to service - at this point it's a question of where (geographically) you want to break up the hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 16th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Well, our one thought is that she could be send to a growth market - assuming there is one - outside Europe. One possibility was as a tax-fiddele cruiser operating just out of territorial waters. There is some interest in this in the richer areas of the PRC, and the short duration of the journey reduces the level of outfitting required, keeping the costs down.

That being said, she's more likely to end up on a beach in India or somesuch. I'm still not sure it will be practical to salvage her - that will take more than just getting her to float upright! Remember what happened to the car carrier that capsized in the Channel - chopped up by a giant cheese-wire!

- RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 17th, 2012, 2:24 pm
It looks like it might have to be scrapped on site - the rocks look like they've actually penetrated clean through the hull and the ship's stuck on them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 18th, 2012, 7:31 am
The death toll has risen, it is now 11 confirmed dead, and more are still un accounted for.
On top of it all radio conversation recordings confirmed the fact that the ship's captain was one of the first to leave the striken vessel, as he said it "to co-ordinae the safe evacuation of the passengers".

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 18th, 2012, 12:11 pm
Novice wrote:
The death toll has risen, it is now 11 confirmed dead, and more are still un accounted for.
On top of it all radio conversation recordings confirmed the fact that the ship's captain was one of the first to leave the striken vessel, as he said it "to co-ordinae the safe evacuation of the passengers".
How honourable...

[Profile] [Quote]
Dreadnaught
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 18th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Well from the reports I have read it would appear that the ship was intentionally "off course" to pass close to the island to sound off the ship's horn as a salute with her lights on because apparently it has been an unoffical tradition for cruise ships to pass by the island of Giglio very close. When I first saw the photos of the wreck my first thought was WTF was a ship that big doing so close to the shore? This just reinforces my theory that fookin morons are in charge of everything weather its the management at my job, government or mega cruise ships.

Also I've never really wanted to go on a cruise. With automation there are very few true sailors on these ships. The people who work the shops, restraunts and entertainment are not sailors. Also I'm concerned with how they low they sit in the water. They look top heavy to me and I would never want to be on a ship that has a huge open area prommande because that's just a place for water to enter a ship very quicky and capsize her. Like what happened to the MS Estonia back in 1994 when her bow door was torn off and water poured into the vehicle deck.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: drama on the high seas, modern 110,000 ton cruise ship sPosted: January 18th, 2012, 5:41 pm
Quote:
WTF was a ship that big doing so close to the shore?
They get quite close to the shore in the caldera at Thera, too - it all depends on the water depth.
Quote:
They look top heavy to me and I would never want to be on a ship that has a huge open area prommande because that's just a place for water to enter a ship very quicky and capsize her.
If the water's getting inside the atrium you have a whole other problem - they are generally above the hull proper. By that time either the ship has capsized or bodily sunk anyway. Remember that the upperworks of a cruise liner are generally aluminium, (or sometimes aluminum) so they are lighter than they look. That being said, the level of internal outfitting is high which pushes the weight up. Cruise liners also have diesel engines, or "free ballast" as we call them, low in the ship.

- RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: