Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
jabba
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 7th, 2011, 3:07 pm
TimothyC wrote:
jabba wrote:
A 3-volley salute should be arranged. With live rounds. Directed at the 'protesters'. :D
No.

No matter how repugnant the WBC members are, they are exercising their first amendment rights I get very very squeamish about punishing people for saying things I don't like.
I was only joking! I wouldn't really want those people shot!

I think the first amendment is great, and freedom of speech should be a right granted to all. There should however be something in the law to stop people abusing this right in order to sue for profit (if that is the case).

On the other hand, if this lot turned up at my father/brother/sons funeral I think I would feel justified in punishing (hurting) them. Wouldn't you?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 7th, 2011, 3:17 pm
jabba wrote:
A 3-volley salute should be arranged. With live rounds. Directed at the 'protesters'. :D
@Jabba
No.
Where I live, death by shooting was considered a honourable death - similar to soldiers on a battlefield, for example.
And some people - like traitors, thiefs etc. were subjected to hanging which was considered a dishonourable death.
Got the point?... :twisted:

Of course I'm not calling for anyones death - just sayin'... ;)
Heuhen's idea with a water bag under a helicopter sounds much more practical.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 7th, 2011, 4:23 pm
True, true ... Bullet is too good for them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 7th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Interesting. If I'm correct, these 'people' are members of a fundamentalist sect, which pickets military funerals with placards advocating hell fire for dead soldiers? If so, they got a lot of publicity this side of the pond, which, I'm sad to say, only confirmed some of the negative perceptions held about some sections of USA society. They share the same platform with that prat who burned the Koran, and thereby caused the deaths of Christians in other countries; and, the other genius who has been recalibrating his predictions for the end of the world - meanwhile raking in lots of mullah. These are religious groups who hide behind your liberal laws.

I don't really know how your First Ammendmnet works for the good of the nation. Over here we have (now) 'hate crimes' with offenders getting charged and convicted; the most recent that comes to mind is of some teenagers who posted themselves burning Remembrance Poppies. Its a mote point about civil liberties, and how far any society can tolerate attitudes and behaviour that jeopardise the rights and and safety of ordinary citizens to go about their lawful business. In this particular case I would come down on the side of the law arresting and charging them, notwithstanding any 'rights'.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 7th, 2011, 6:25 pm
All this just proves that everything is good in moderation. Democracy too. Too much democracy, which is what's going on now in the US, sucks.

Having said that, I wish you, Navybrat85, good luck in your endeavor and I hope the funeral won't get ruined by either of the conflicting sides.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 7th, 2011, 6:52 pm
jabba wrote:
I was only joking! I wouldn't really want those people shot!

I think the first amendment is great, and freedom of speech should be a right granted to all. There should however be something in the law to stop people abusing this right in order to sue for profit (if that is the case).

On the other hand, if this lot turned up at my father/brother/sons funeral I think I would feel justified in punishing (hurting) them. Wouldn't you?
I'd want to beat them into a pulp. My point is that doing so violates the basic rights that they have in society. We are free to express our opinions, and they are free to express theirs. For example, last summer I went to an event that was held in a public park that would have caused the WBC protesters head's to explode (and I had a wonderful time at said event). Once we start locking up people for doing things that are legal but we don't like we've all lost a fundamental protection against mob rule.

I did laugh when they got their tires slashed and couldn't find anyone in the town to repair them following a protest.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 8th, 2011, 12:32 am
In my opinion, the laws passed to prevent people like them from picketing outside military funerals should be expanded to protect any funeral from being picketed by them. I've seen some of their posters in pictures and news reports. They're not protesting. They're just plain hating.

Navybrat, I say good luck to you. As much as I wish there was this one exception to the 1st amendment, and that they would deported or something, I think the best thing you can do is hope that you can intimidate them with three-four times the number of protesters they have. Where I live is a very diverse Jewish/Christian community. We see news reports about these people and honestly, I'd like to see them get a little more than a few thousand dollar fines for the disrespect they give to fallen soldiers. I also do hope it rains heavily the day before. Then you could "accidentally" splash them with you car when you drive by with that muffler broken down.

Portsmouth Bill, I think you're lucky that the UK banned the WBC members from entering you country.

EDIT: You even know they're jerks when even the KKK begins to look down upon them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dreadnaught
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 8th, 2011, 8:12 am
Screw'em just use a water cannon on them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 8th, 2011, 8:54 am
Two 'old chestnuts':

'I disagree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it'

'Democracy is a very poor form of goverment, the alternatives are much worse'

On balance, I stand in admiration of how a society (here the USA) is prepared to allow behaviour that in most other 'civilised' countries would result in a criminal charge.

And yes, all the very best in your stand Navybrat: 'all that is required for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing'

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: Standing up for what's right...Posted: November 8th, 2011, 9:48 am
weather update: Rain is forecast... (And it's been raining quite nicely since about 2330 local time..)I may indeed get the opportunity to splash these guys with some muddy water. I'm kinda reminded of that Steve Wariner song "Holes in the floor of heaven" though.

Looks like the Good Guy crowd should be pretty big tomorrow. A testimate to the power of Social Networks, the ball got rolling on this thing sunday night and now, going into this early morning it looks like we'll have them outnumbered by a rather hefty margin, just from the local citizens (and that doesn't count the Patriot Guard). The plan is fairly simple. Everyone has been asked to simply act as a barrier between the WBC folks and the mourners. Some will carry large American flags, some will have large sheets. Not so much a counter-protest as it is a quarantine. Keep them out of the Robinson family's sight and hopefully of their minds. I'd especially hate to see Sergeant First Class Robinson's wife and two little ones exposed to the WBC's hateful antics on the day they lay their husband and father to rest.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: