Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 28 of 54  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page « 126 27 28 29 3054 »
denodon
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 11th, 2012, 10:04 am
Even the RAAF was offed the the Vickers Valiant and the B-58 Hustler during the time period before deciding upon the F-111. The TSR 2 was also considered.
We were supposed to get the HMS Invincible (later offered HMS Hermes instead) to replace Melbourne after her retirement but due the Falkland conflict that never occurred. Plenty of possibilities for AU or never weres there.

[Profile]
indiajuliet
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 11th, 2012, 4:02 pm
I know Thiel has drawn the Blue Steel missile, but I wasn't sure about mounting points, so maybe someone with a bit more knowledge about missiles could try to mount them onto Concorde, and if anyone has a better reference or info about an RAF Concorde, feel free to make sensible changes/improvements/additions and add yourself to the credits.

RAF Concorde B.1:

[ img ]

Based on this image, found here:

[ img ]

[Profile]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 11th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Cool! Any possibility that You'll add Blue Steel missiles? (there are somewhere in the SB)
Btw. - there is a thread dedicated to this particular stuff: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British Aircraft.

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =20&t=1510

[Profile]
indiajuliet
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 11th, 2012, 5:15 pm
eswube wrote:
Cool! Any possibility that You'll add Blue Steel missiles? (there are somewhere in the SB)
Btw. - there is a thread dedicated to this particular stuff: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British Aircraft.

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =20&t=1510
I do apologise, I completely forgot about that thread. I'll leave it to the moderators to decide whether to move my post, I don't mind either way. Thanks for the reminder, eswube.

I'd like to see it finished with Blue Steel, but as I said, I don't know how and where they would be mounted, and I think that there are other members with a considerably greater knowledge of such matters and I'd appreciate if someone could give advice, or even add to the drawing themselves, which I am happy for them to do. I'd rather not make an uneducated guess, but it would look great with them on! :D

Thiel's drawing is here, if he doesn't mind it being used :?:

[Profile]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 11th, 2012, 5:43 pm
ahhhh the TSR.2 a true shame what could have been with that plane
I probably don't know nearly know enough about the situation but I actually believe Australia's order for the Canberra class gives them two very capable if slightly flawed ships much more capable than anything fielded by the navy since the Melbourne. While maybe a Cavour and Rotterdam/Galicia class combination may have been better, though it could have been a lot worse for I know, I think the HMAS Choules and two Canberra's plus the Hobarts, the ANZACS, and the Collins which while they have been a mess from what I heard are still capable and another future heavy lift ship supposedly, I think the navy is very capable
also very interesting Indiajuliet, I wonder if the Concord airframe could really be adapted to such a role.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 11th, 2012, 6:29 pm
The Blue Steel missile is in "What if British Aircraft" on the Vulcan B2 or B3.

[Profile]
Cruel2BEkind
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 2:36 pm
I have never heard of a concord carrying blue steel missiles. The army will put anything on something fast!

[Profile]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 2:43 pm
It makes logical sense as concord could keep Mach 2 for three hours under normal flight conditions.

[Profile]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 7:16 pm
That was just a proposal, and not very well thought-out, nor serious (by the time Concorde entered service Blue Steels were long outdated), but cool looking.
There is a thread about it on secretprojects.co.uk, together with pictures (but You need to be logged-on member to see the pics).

[Profile]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: August 14th, 2012, 7:41 pm
I'm sure the Concorde bomber was a journalist's invention at what might be acheived. Realistically it couldn't cruise at supersonic speed while lugging three Blue Steels underneath, putting extra fuel aboard might have been tricky too given the CoG requirements. The lump under the nose looks suspiciously like a bomb-sight pasted from a Vulcan picture (heh, even before photoshop they could do a mock-up) which is rather twee. Also, Blue Steel didn't have the stand-off range to make this viable. Concorde was a high-altitude supersonic cruiser, really it would have needed internal weapon carriage.
Over the other side of the Curtain though Tupolev attempted numerous Tu-144 based bomber projects but none of them were ever considered suitable either.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 28 of 54  [ 536 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 126 27 28 29 3054 »

Jump to: