Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 6  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Orbital CoilgunPosted: November 10th, 2011, 2:29 am
What I am going to present below is something very strange in shipbucket scale, I'd include it in my AU thread, but it's extremely far out from being a watercraft.

I'll come out with it, it's an orbital coil gun, originally it was supposed to be a mid 21st to 22nd century "space cruiser" according to design work by Darkproxy before I joined up in the UEA AU. Eventually it became an orbital gun after several designs, and then that lead to me drawing it. It's a very off the wall design, and it really puts a stretch on reality, but I might as well share it. :P

Attachment:
ohiospacegun.PNG

Last edited by ONI-Defense on November 10th, 2011, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 7:17 am
... recoil is gonna tear that thing apart...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 8:05 am
barnest2 wrote:
... recoil is gonna tear that thing apart...
Thats coilgun, no recoil.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 8:14 am
Um... yeah, coilguns have serious recoil. Neither railguns nor coilguns are immune to newtons laws, and why this idea came around, I have no idea.
See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfoBlKerN0

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 8:24 am
Thinking further (because of recoil problems) Wouldn't using all that space for a laser generator make more sense. I mean, the recoil is actually near zero, and for the amount of space used you could get quite a powerful generation system. You wouldn't have ammunition issues like the coilgun either.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 11:27 am
barnest2 wrote:
Um... yeah, coilguns have serious recoil. Neither railguns nor coilguns are immune to newtons laws, and why this idea came around, I have no idea.
Again the same conversation about railgun ... :roll:

95% of recoil is generate by propellant gases. If weapon dont use propellant to accelerate bullet it's not generate much recoil. I maybe exaggerated with that "no recoil", but electromagnetic projectile devices generate very small recoil. Thats why they can accelerate bullet on insane speed without kicking back cannon half mile back.
barnest2 wrote:
You wouldn't have ammunition issues like the coilgun either.
Real ammunition = real kinetic power. Check US Project "Thor".

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 12:58 pm
Did you watch the video? Where the home-made coilgun has enough kickback to shift the firing tube back a good few inches? And that thing has basically no power. That didn't use propellant gasses, and the above drawing looks delicate to say the least.
Pushing the round forwards pushes the weapon backwards equally, even with a coil or rail gun. They impart force on each other thanks to Newton's third law.
The USN railgun projects, when doing firing tests, are strapped down so that the firing equipment doesn't move or fly backwards. There is a very good reason for that.
Quote:
Real ammunition = real kinetic power. Check US Project "Thor".
Thor didn't accelerate its weapons, it just dropped them into a gravity well. No recoil due to taking advantage of potential energy.

Plus, a laser can be just as damaging in space to space ship, thanks to them being awfully delicate (realistically).

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 1:11 pm
barnest.... you are correct that that is newtons law. but now... well... let's see.
we have an projectile, let's say 10 kg. now we have an weapon that is.... wel... 10000kg. just to make it simple. acceleration of the projectile = 100m/s. again, just to keep it simple.
now we use F=m*a on the projectile: F=10*100 = 10000N
now the weapon: a=F/m
10000N/10000kg= 1m/s. so, the recoil= 100 times lower then the blast. of course, these are guestimated weights, but I would figure that the weapon is in effect a lot heavier then 10000kg
so, as said above, the recoil isn't zero, but it is not as devastating as you seem to think, IMO.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 1:25 pm
Interesting arguements. I probably should look a little more into it myself.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Something a bit absurd.Posted: November 10th, 2011, 2:10 pm
barnest2 wrote:
Thor didn't accelerate its weapons, it just dropped them into a gravity well. No recoil due to taking advantage of potential energy.
I did not say it accelerate ... I say "kinetic power". If you use weapon against "land" targets kinetic round are superb. No warhead ect. just one big piece of metal. Laser are point weapon with no real kinetic power, good for delicate shoots but if you want to destroy something in good old way you use kinetic rounds.
barnest2 wrote:
Pushing the round forwards pushes the weapon backwards equally, even with a coil or rail gun. They impart force on each other thanks to Newton's third law.
Do you have any idea on what power level we talk ? Brits' 14 inch Mk VII naval gun accelerate bullet 750 m/s ... and thats a one big fraking gun. Railgun accelerate 3,500 m/s ... You think someting would hold in one place THAT! kind of weapon. One shoot would rip off whole gun from ship with large piece of that ship in opposite direction when they shoot.

Again, kinetic weapons generate much low recoil. There is no propeellent, bullet do not have physical contact with the barrel.

If there is like you say barnest2 ... railguns, coilguns whatever, would be totaly useless. And they are not.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 6  [ 55 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: