Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: AU Confederate Navy, maybe for SB?Posted: May 20th, 2011, 2:48 am
nighthunter has made a very strong point here, indeed! I would only like to add that if Taft might have been re-elected, even he would've eventually have to contend with his mentor's (TRs) incessant war cries viz the Great War! I think anyone seriously interested in creating a believable CSA AU should look into these factors and how they might've changed the political dynamism of the whole scenario!

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: AU Confederate Navy, maybe for SB?Posted: May 20th, 2011, 4:13 am
Thanks for the input Nighthunter and Bezobrazov!

I really haven't thought about the WWI period... yet.
Other things- fanciful and wonderful- have crossed my mind, though.

Imagine, if you will, a woman hurrying through the streets of New York in a hansom cab, racing toward a British steamer moored on the waterfront. She carries with her in the cab- save a single carpet bag- only a small child on her lap. Perhaps another carriage follows, racing to catch up with the little cab before it reaches the river. The lady bounds from the cab as it reaches its destination, perhaps even leaving her bag as she notices the pursuing carriage. A man in a gray uniform stands on the deck of the steamer with outstretched arms... and a loaded LeMatt on his hip in the event of trouble. The woman practically drags the young boy aboard the ship, which hastily casts off and begins to pull away from the pier as a strongly-built man with a full, bushy beard and statesman's booming voice shouts impotently for the vessel to halt...

and a week later, young Theodore and his mother, Mittie Bulloch (who now conveniently forgets to use the Roosevelt name) begin their new life at the family estate in Savannah, Georgia.

As you can see, some of the things that I HAVE thought about do involve Theodore Roosevelt, though... and they might be enough to create some interesting (if far-fetched) possibilities for further and greater adventure in the life of a man known for living on the edge. Remember that Roosevelt's father was a Union draft-dodger* who sent a poorer man to die in his place, and that his mother was an unreconstructed Southron. What would the rather impetuous and strong-willed Mittie Bulloch Roosevelt done had the Confederacy actually won it's independence? Her brothers- Irvine, a Confederate officer on Simmes' Alabama and James, the Confederacy's ace 'procurement agent' in Europe- would have surely called her home to her native Georgia. Would their differences in ideals and cultures caused a very different life to have developed for young Theodore, without a unified nation to keep their household unified as well? Would Theodore have ever wound up the U.S. President... or might his first job been as Atlanta's police commissioner? ;)

Who knows how many little changes like this that a Confederate victory- or more appropriately, the lack of a Union victory- might have provoked? I mean, perhaps Woodrow Wilson's father would have retreated to his native Ohio instead of remaining in the Confederacy? :D
Perhaps Wilson might yet have become the U.S. President, with Roosevelt glaring at him from across the Patomic?

*Yes I am fully aware of the elder Roosevelt's contributions to the war effort, contributions which many times outweighed what he could have accomplished from the fighting front. However, my upbringing, like that of the Bulloch family, stresses that no man must shirk when his nation calls him to arms. I can easily see both sides, but I could not have forgiven myself should I have failed to take up arms... and I cannot forgive others who fail to do so either- no matter how noble their motivations. :|

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: AU Confederate Navy, maybe for SB?Posted: May 20th, 2011, 4:24 pm
Ah, Good points that I failed to even consider Carth, good call.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6

Jump to: