Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 43 of 64  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page « 141 42 43 44 4564 »
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 7:14 am
I don't agree on Klag per sé. The Dutch wanted to use a Bofors 120/1954 on the Zeven Provincien class LCF in very earlier stage.
((120mm mount) dual turret whish was used at the A, B and GW class in the 1950s onward)

[Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 8:38 am
Nice desings, both of these frigates... the Skötkonung looks really "swedish". Only thing that makes me wonder wheter they would look even bit better if you would use the newer (drawing) mounts for 120mm and 57mm mounts?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 10:38 am
[ img ]
here is the problem with your current setup. the water streaming along the hull (blue line) is high pressure. at the intakes, the pressure lowers due to having more space, just in front of the intakes (green). it will have even lower pressure there because you are sucking the water away. in short, your waterjet will lack enough water when at speed, and will thus suck itself dry in the current config.
so, the intakes must be at the keel level, or you should have the hull move up in a curve instead of in a single large step. it is better to have an short tunnel (both from internal space and from resistance viewpoint) so you might want to experiment a bit

also. this ship has no planing or semi-planing hull. that means that you have an speed of max 34 knots, which is about the maximum efficient speed for propellers as well. LCS-1 and LCS-2 are a planing monohull and semiplane trimaran respectively, with an top speed of 50 knots. while they are about the same size as this ship, their role differs a lot.

note that waterjets are inefficient on speeds lower then 20 knots. most sonars work best in the speed range between 18 and 20 knots. I have to admit I have no data out of the top of my head on towed arrays, but I would say this would be the same. so, when you are planning to operate your sonar for a long time, you will operate under inefficient conditions.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 10:44 am
I am wondering if that is a keel?....

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 10:46 am
heuhen wrote:
I am wondering if that is a keel?....
what do you mean?

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 11:09 am
[ img ]
I updated her:
- New 120mm gun, based on the 57mm cupola.
- New intakes for the waterjets.

I have sailed a lot on water jet ships, both using TAS and VDS and it works fine, when you have the sonars down and want to hear something you go slow, fuel effiecey is modered by how many engines you use and their RPM.

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 11:13 am
I am not talking about fuel efficiency. I am talking about cavitation and turbulent streams.
I trust your experience then, but hull mounted sonar cannot hear much when going faster then 20-22 knots due to the water streaming over the hull and the pressure differences in that. that said, towed sonars were developed for high speed oceangoing work, so it might be that they tackle exactly this problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 11:30 am
acelanceloet wrote:
I am not talking about fuel efficiency. I am talking about cavitation and turbulent streams.
I trust your experience then, but hull mounted sonar cannot hear much when going faster then 20-22 knots due to the water streaming over the hull and the pressure differences in that. that said, towed sonars were developed for high speed oceangoing work, so it might be that they tackle exactly this problem.
he did some change. And that hull shape looks better.

but here is what I think.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88748209/PNG/p ... 0wrong.PNG

There is no problem with waterjet, it's what type of waterjet he want to use. If it was me I would use a type of waterjet I can't remember name on, but it looks like someone have put a jet-engine backwards on the hull where the fan stick a bit out of the hull. they are a open system and their weakness is that you have to put you'r engine in reverse. but you can travel better at low and medium speed.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 11:35 am
yes, heuhen, but that is an weaker point (both from an damage control and from structural issues) and works only with only 2 waterjets, while I think this ship will need at least 3 of this size. that said, the current hull shape works, and gives no problems, apart from the ones the waterjets always have.
could you maybe link me to that system you mention heuhen, it sounds interesting but I don't really get what you mean.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 11:36 am
acelanceloet wrote:
could you maybe link me to that system you mention heuhen, it sounds interesting but I don't really get what you mean.
Shall see if I can find it. it's along time since I saw it last.... but it must be out there some where...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 43 of 64  [ 638 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 141 42 43 44 4564 »

Jump to: