Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 42 of 64  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page « 140 41 42 43 4464 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 2:01 pm
interesting vessel. the air intakes so close to the waterline on an vessel that size looks..... well, interesting.
also, waterjets and an towed array sonar? I have not yet seen that combination, and I wonder why you have chosen it, as waterjets are noisy as hell. it also makes me wonder where the waterjet gets its water from, as the flat piece of hull just in front of it is unsuitable due to the shape of the hull, and lower down makes them need huge pipes......

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 2:25 pm
Quote:
interesting vessel. the air intakes so close to the waterline on an vessel that size looks..... well, interesting
Yes, i thought of that to, I don't know where to put them elsewhere....
Quote:
also, waterjets and an towed array sonar? I have not yet seen that combination, and I wonder why you have chosen it, as waterjets are noisy as hell. it also makes me wonder where the waterjet gets its water from, as the flat piece of hull just in front of it is unsuitable due to the shape of the hull, and lower down makes them need huge pipes......
Actually waterjets are more quiet than propellers, I have heard it from both submariners and ASW friends of mine. Waterjets and VDS/ TAS are very common in the swedish navy today, both on the Göteborg and Visby classes.

I almost copied the tail on the ship from a Visby, the water is pulled up to the impeller just in front of the exhaust (the second step in the hull)

[ img ]
The HMS Göteborg, with 3 KaMeWa waterjets, the VDS crane is clearly visible on the stern, behind that the towed array sonar vinsch. (most likey am I onboard when this picture was taken)
Quote:
The Göteborg class was the first vessels in the Swedish Navy to be equipped with waterjet propulsion - a choice that originated from the 1980s that saw numerous submarine intrusions in Sweden's territorial waters. As the Göteborg class was to have ASW capabilities, the requirement for a system with favourable acoustics, shallow draft and high turning rate inevitably led to waterjet propulsion.

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

Last edited by Psilander on December 21st, 2012, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 2:31 pm
yes, but on vessels this size..... waterjets are indeed less noisy when on high cruising speeds, but comparitive very noisy and inefficient on the cruising speeds of larger warships.
also, http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... BY%202.gif
is it just me or does your stern look nothing like the visby's?
or have you kept the same size of the visby's setup and just copied it to the larger ship?
I would put the intakes on the structure. next to the hangar, or next to the gun should work best.

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 2:46 pm
Regarding the water jets, the exhaust have to be just under the water line, not to deep. I could put the intakes further down I don't know exakt where it is best to put them regading water depth/ length of the tunnel etc.

She is similar to LCS in size. The LCS also have waterjet propulsion

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 3:20 pm
Slightly updated

[ img ]

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 3:29 pm
Quote:
The Telescopic part is on the starboard sid, workshops are on port side, so the extension iis just half the ship. have not drawn the port side out of lazyiness
Ah, enlightenment :) That explains everything.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 9:34 pm
Such a modern ship with an outdated gun turret?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 9:52 pm
It's newer than the OTO 76mm.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 11:00 pm
The gun itself may be older but the actual mount and housing have been updated. It just seems out of place to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Imperial Swedish NavyPosted: December 21st, 2012, 11:03 pm
I kind of agree with Klag... Especially since the design seems to be designed to have an as small radar signature as possible(a la Visby), it would be advantageous if she had a sleeker turret..

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 42 of 64  [ 638 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 140 41 42 43 4464 »

Jump to: