Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
DigitalShipyard
Post subject: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 15th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Here is an "artsy" sky and water version I did for fun of the 106 year old cement hauling freighter St. Marys Challenger sailing.

[ img ]

~John

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 15th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Very nice. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 15th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Lovely drawing of a lovely Laker. :)

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 16th, 2012, 7:35 am
I particularly like your bilge water effect!

[Profile] [Quote]
DigitalShipyard
Post subject: Re: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 16th, 2012, 11:53 am
Yeah, I thought it was a cool thing to add in. Being the lakes are fresh water, they draw water in directly for the boilers, treat it with water softeners to prevent calcium build-up, feed it to the boilers, and discharge it back into the lake after it re-condenses. Every hour of so the blow off any sludge or sediment from the boilers in a blast of steam out the side. Sounds like a jet engine if your near.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 16th, 2012, 12:05 pm
I would be rather surprised if that was the case. It's much more likely that they draw in sea water (Lake water?) and run it through the heat exchangers.
The other solution brings too many problems with it and it's too expensive in terms of fuel and water treatment chemicals.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
DigitalShipyard
Post subject: Re: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 16th, 2012, 12:59 pm
Hi Thiel, At least that's what I thought was done ;) I will be going on the ship next week for a trip. I will ask and find out for sure. I know when the water was drawn on board it first went into some tanks. They had bags of a white granular (looks like white road salt) "Dura Cube" product they pour in to disolve and then the water was fed to the boilers. You can see the bags stacked in this photo I took last year just inside the boiler room door...

[ img ]

Here is what I found about "Dura Cube":

http://www.cargill.com/salt/products/wa ... /index.jsp

I'll can ask about it more next week..

~John

[Profile] [Quote]
Master Chief Brown
Post subject: Re: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 17th, 2012, 12:39 am
A very oddly beautiful ship, serving a good purpose. Maybe we should buy her when her owners want to get rid of her.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: St. Marys Challenger SailingPosted: October 17th, 2012, 8:41 pm
Really beautiful. Reminds me of something from a Miyazaki film.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings”

Jump to: