Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Boeing777
Post subject: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (Modernized)Posted: August 18th, 2013, 11:19 pm
This far most second powerful ship in the United Coalition Navy Fleet Called Titan. Named after Admiral Charles, this battleship was raised off from the Atlantic Ocean of the famed Bismarck Class Battleship. The whole ship was reversed-engineered and made another Bismarck Class Battleship called the UCS Charles C and added modern weapons on-board.

Propulsion: 2 Davidson Nuclear Engines, 12 Wagner Superheated Boilers
Speed: (Old With 12 Wagner Superheated Boilers: 30.1 knots), (With Davidson Nuclear Engines: 47.3 knots)
Displacement: 50,300 t (49,500 long tons; 55,400 short tons)
Armanent: 1 20mm CIWS Phalanx, SK C/35 40cm Gun, 40mm Bofors Skyshield (Fictional), 15cm SK C/28

[ img ][/URL]

Credits: Boeing777

Last edited by Boeing777 on August 21st, 2013, 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 18th, 2013, 11:44 pm
In the real world it would be impossible to do, since the British Battleships from the home fleet, and there destroyers and cruiser... and aircraft carrier. damaged the ship so much that it's cheaper to build it totally new. to rebuild that old hull.. it would not surprise me that it would cost 5-10 time so much to rebuild that old hull than build an new one.

Now some basic rules at SB:

- as new member should post their first drawings in the Beginner topic.
- You must either change "img" host or change how the picture is loaded up. because it's resized, and that is a NONO in SB.
- you have saved the drawing as JPG. that is again a NONO
- But the biggest bad thing man can do, is to forget to credit the original artist. Admin can be a pretty angry about that but they late it pass so long it's getting fixed. but theres a limit to that.

But instead for that I write thousand lines, here some links you shall and must read:

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 19th, 2013, 12:15 am
Ignoring the stupidity of raising a ship that's been on the ocean floor for over 70 years, you MUST re-insert the original credits on the drawing.

-TJC

edit: I've also moved your thread to the beginner's forum.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 19th, 2013, 12:58 am
47.3 knots?? Wow! Those nuke plants must be bad ace. In also assuming you redesigned the hull to be able to be that fast? I have to say that during my days on the Virginia (CGN-38) when we got above 30 knots that ship was a shaking. Especially as you got farther aft. Also, are you going to draw the Nuc version?

Also i see no search radars and I'm not sure the best place for CIWS is on to of a gun mount. I mean it could probably be done but there are much better places to put it. I've yet to delve into the AU world but I'd think you would still want to keep things realistic

Note i edited this shortly after i posted, but it didn't post so of I've repeated anything said already forgive me

Last edited by sabotage181 on August 19th, 2013, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 19th, 2013, 9:29 am
sabotage181 wrote:
47.3 knots?? Wow! Those nuke plants must be bad ace. In also assuming you redesigned the hull to be able to be that fast? I have to say that during my days on the Virginia (CGN-38) when we got above 30 knots that ship was a shaking. Especially as you got farther aft. Also, are you going to draw the Nuc version?
shaking, sound like the propellers are to close to the hull!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 19th, 2013, 9:38 am
I will look at this as if it was an rebuild from the original plans of the bismarck in modern times. still somewhat stupid, but not impossible, like what you are describing here.

first of all, the powerplant. you have 2 Davidson Nuclear engines. what do you mean with Nuclear engines? I would suppose you mean nuclear reactors and did not mention the affiliated steam turbines.
the old bismarck could go 30,1 knots on her 12 wagner boilers and her 3 brown-boveri steam turbines, which produced 110 MW to the shafts.
so 110MW for 30,1 knots, that means for 47,3 knots you need at least 110*1,57^2=271 MW. this is without the additional wave resistance of higher speeds taken into account, so it might end up even higher. the hull shape, which is designed for an speed between 20 and 25 knots most likely, is also not suitable for these speeds
your propellers will not be able to give that much power to the water so you will have to fit your ship with waterjets or something.

so here we find the first reason why building an all new design is cheaper.

then the guns.
the 38cm guns can no longer be produced in this time. the knowledge to build the barrels is long gone, and for an ship sunk 70 years ago from an defeated country, we no longer have an stack of barrels somewhere like we had for the iowa's when they were reactivated
I fail to see the use of an single phalanx only
all guns use most likely ammunition no longer in production.

operationally, this ship will be less useful then the reactivated iowa, due to the fact that it has no tomahawks on board. the main guns are in this time only useful for shore bombardment. in self defence, the ship cannot keep up with modern missiles, against which it's armour no longer helps. her speed, impressing when she was originally build, is now done as well by missile destroyers.

in terms of radar, its power will be like an torch against an searchlight. to field new radars, and new guns, you will have to reengineer the entire superstructure, and a lot of the hull. to fit an nuclear plant you will have to redesign..... the rest of the hull.

I await your reply in why anything like this would make any sense, the above is in short why I think it is not.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 19th, 2013, 10:07 am
Nationstates to the bone...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rusel
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 19th, 2013, 11:03 am
Like all sunken vessels, Bismark is a war grave and should be left that way.
Apart from the impossibility as already mentioned above, to consider salvage is unconscionable.
Rest in Peace brothers, everywhere!
And in the going down of the sun,
we will remember them.
Lest we Forget!

[Profile] [Quote]
Boeing777
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 19th, 2013, 9:25 pm
Well, I'm no professional Engineer or historian

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: United Coalition Navy UCS Charles C Bismarck (ModernizedPosted: August 19th, 2013, 9:38 pm
I would just like to point out that very few of us are. There are a few engineers among us, but I don't think there are any proffesional historians(plenty of amateur ones though ;) ). Might be wrong though.
I'll just advice that you read about RL warships from different time periods, focus on one era particularly(it's easier to start with only one), and your understanding will increase. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: