Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Rodondo
Post subject: HMVS Cerberus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 15th, 2011, 11:32 pm
Hi all, another thing I am looking to do is the Her Majesty's Victorian Ship Cerberus,

[ img ]

I have a reference picture (http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprint ... -43510.jpg) but I am unsure which configuration that drawing is.

Any original configuration sources and references welcome

EDIT: Started the design, not too happy with it but its starting to turn out fine

(Deleted, see page 2)

Any comments welcome

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

Last edited by Rodondo on July 17th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 16th, 2011, 4:30 am
Nice work!

Last edited by ALVAMA on May 16th, 2011, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 16th, 2011, 4:50 am
Is it? I searched for it but could not find it.

Well there was many changes to it over time so I could do a earlier/later version

What do you think of it so far?

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 16th, 2011, 12:02 pm
Ok, a few things to an otherwise promising beginning:

Firstly, there's nothing such as 'Her Majesty's Victorian Ship'! The term 'Victorian' was coined after the death of Quenn-Empress Victoria, in 1901, to denote the uniqueness and particular character of her long, 63 year reign. So, in other words, it's H. M. S. or simply HMS (without dashes in between!) - but not HMVS! The only other viable designations were HMY (Her/His Majesty's Yacht) or HMAC (His/Her Majesty's Auxilliary Cruiser). The civilian equivalent is RMS (Royal Mail Steamer; today largely redundant - I'm not even sure the new Queen Mary 2 carries it!) Also the font chosen ought to be Arial 14pts, though for sub-description you may use Arial 12pts in order to differentiate that from your main header.

Secondly, unless an AU-project, IRL we wouldn't describe a particular section or part of an Empire as the main 'owner' such as you've done (Colony of Victoria; btw it's Victoria, you misspelled it unfortunately...) but rather as Great Britain: HMS Cerberus (1871) - after that you may more closely define to which part it actually belongs, and I'd suggest you'd do it like this for clarity's sake: Crown Colony of Australia; Colony of Victoria. I'm well aware of Cerberus's checkered history and that she and her sister were intended for the Australian waters.

Thirdly, since, with the minor exception of my above points have progressed really well and show very good promise in completion of this interesting vessel, why not go full out and make the underwater hull? Now, I own Dr Parke's excellent book on British battleships, and I believe I could help you with the outline of that section of the ship, if you cannot find it otherwise.

Else a very good start, mate! Welcome aboard and kep up the good drawing! ;) :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 16th, 2011, 2:00 pm
The hull is (as far as I can tell) solid black. It should be really dark grey.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 16th, 2011, 2:02 pm
...or what the RN would term as Charcoal black...

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 16th, 2011, 4:45 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Firstly, there's nothing such as 'Her Majesty's Victorian Ship'!
There WAS a such as H.M.V.S. as a ship prefix- as observed by this ship's preservation website.
http://www.cerberus.com.au/

Her Majesty's Victorian Ship was the official title of a ship in the Victorian Navy. In this case, 'Victorian' does NOT refer to the Queen of England, it instead refers to the Australian territory named after her. There was also H.M.Q.S. (Her Majesty's Queensland Ship) used prior to the federation of the Australian territories.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 16th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Carthaginian wrote:
bezobrazov wrote:
Firstly, there's nothing such as 'Her Majesty's Victorian Ship'!
There WAS a such as H.M.V.S. as a ship prefix- as observed by this ship's preservation website.
http://www.cerberus.com.au/

Her Majesty's Victorian Ship was the official title of a ship in the Victorian Navy. In this case, 'Victorian' does NOT refer to the Queen of England, it instead refers to the Australian territory named after her. There was also H.M.Q.S. (Her Majesty's Queensland Ship) used prior to the federation of the Australian territories.
While the ship was paid for by the Admiralty (80%), it was given to the Victorian government for defense of the coast, if it was to do anything else, it came back under Admiralty orders. In it's service life it barely ever left Port Phillip bay, so it never was under the Admiralty. Not sure though....?
Carnac wrote:
The hull is (as far as I can tell) solid black. It should be really dark grey.
It is a really dark grey (really really dark), I know it's very hard to tell ;)
bezobrazov wrote:
Ok, a few things to an otherwise promising beginning:

Thirdly, since, with the minor exception of my above points have progressed really well and show very good promise in completion of this interesting vessel, why not go full out and make the underwater hull? Now, I own Dr Parke's excellent book on British battleships, and I believe I could help you with the outline of that section of the ship, if you cannot find it otherwise.

Else a very good start, mate! Welcome aboard and kep up the good drawing! ;) :D
Some underwater details would be nice, my current source is rather sketchy on the hull ("16 feet deep") Thanks anyway. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 16th, 2011, 9:53 pm
Although a good start, apart for the afore mentioned points, I would like to further enlighten you on some of the Shipbucket rules, and that is that all guns are drwn pointing fore-and-aft only. S your aft gun mounting is pionting to starboard you should change it, if you want the ship to qualified for Shipbucket.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 17th, 2011, 12:12 am
Ah, I'll have that done in by the next edit. Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: