Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 25  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1225 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 27th, 2015, 8:33 pm
My I just add to Novice comments,
- The stern shading doesn't work as the cut out for the screw is not just the thin bit but cuts into the fater upper part of the hull (ie shading 'band' needs to move up towards the stern out hanging bit above).
- Why not more (+2 each side ?) lifeboats forward under bridge ? (that you could raise to see over the boats)
- At the moment you only have 3 effective sun decks (the main deck and the raised deck with lifeboats) so how to split that between 3+ classes and the 1st class will not want to be near funnels and lifeboats)

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 27th, 2015, 9:24 pm
I would also recommend taking the hull freeboard down a level. To me, at least, it seems too 'top heavy' for contemporary ships of the time.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 28th, 2015, 3:38 am
I have based the SS Okeanicheskiy off the SS Elbe, is that not a typical liner of the 1880's?

[ img ]

Edit: I have updated the image for the SS Okeanicheskiy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 28th, 2015, 4:05 am
Have a gander at the funnels in the image, they are taller, slightly narrower and raked,
Fashionable for liners of the time as it gave good draught which enable the boilers to burn better and the smoke not to cling to the superstructure as soon as it came out the top.

Worth nothing the freeboard to length ratio, in this case look nearing the sleek 1:19 mark, where as yours is (from a quick eyeball) about 1:15, not including the forecastle which adds to the illusion of a slighlty "squashed" ship

How do the crew get from the look out and the deck also?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 28th, 2015, 4:23 am
I've updated the image once again, the ship has been lengthened, funnels made taller, and two lifeboats added.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 28th, 2015, 11:35 am
It's looking better. Again, don't forget Novice's comments about another level with a split superstructure or Rodondo's comments about a raked funnel. That will make it look much better.
Considering that this is a single screw ship, remember that it will be quite large, especially given the era.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 28th, 2015, 4:41 pm
Updated the image once again, I'm not sure how I could fit a split superstructure onto this ship though.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 28th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Well, first it depends on the usage. Is it a general passenger ship, containing a modest sized 1st & 2nd class and a large Third Class? Or is it an immigrant ship like the SS Egypt (Great Britain, 1871)? From 'The Encyclopedia of Ships' it states that Egypt was built as an immigrant ship and had a capacity of 1400 third class passengers but only 120 first class passengers. From the side drawing I have of it, it's clear to see that the small superstructure on the main deck is for the small amount of first class, while the rest of the 'scum class' (Top Gear reference :P ) is located in the hull.
So, if you want a ship that has a balanced amount of passengers, then a large superstructure would be implemented, or if it's an immigrant ship or some other sort of ship, then the structure would most likely be smaller.

I've had a go and just added a top level. You can also follow the dashed line and have a space between the bridge and the rest of the structure, if you like.

[ img ]
One final thing is the propeller. On most single screw ships of the time, the propeller will be much larger than what you have now.

But regardless, you've got the style down and you're getting a grasp of the design aspect. Good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 28th, 2015, 8:08 pm
"The Elbe had accommodation for 179 first-class passengers, 142 in second class, and 796 in steerage."

Elbe is an immigrant ship, I assume?

Since my drawing is based on the Elbe, then my drawing must be an immigrant ship as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 28th, 2015, 8:22 pm
No, not exactly. Ocean liners tend to also have a large 3rd class, as that was the only accommodations that the majority could buy at that time. But, my reference to Egypt means that she was designed as a immigrant ship, with an extremely high 1st class to 3rd class ratio (almost a 1 to 12 ratio), compared to other liners of the time, which were more balanced (1st & 2nd to 3rd class being 1 to 2.25 on the Elbe). Since you're going off of the Elbe, the class accommodation numbers are that of what an ocean liner would be, so no worries.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 25  [ 242 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1225 »

Jump to: