Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 12  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
Shipright
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: March 15th, 2013, 8:02 pm
Drawing Update! I decided to show the ship without all the internals.

[ img ]

First off, man are top down converstions difficult! Translating all the angles to the new perspective is a challenge and I don't think I got it right. I can see myself having to redo this several times.

One of the benefits though is that it exposes a lot of details that look good in profile but don't translate to the real world, especially regarding beam. In this case my mast can not possible be made big enough to house what it needs given the area left available. Originally that first tier over the bridge was to be dedicated to comms so that it was below the arrays and did not clutter the mast. Now I see I will have to rethink this. Also, I put a legacy primary and secondary rotating surface radar up there which I don't think I will actually need. So what I may do is widen the mast to remove the tiers and then put all the comms on the forward and aft platforms the surface radars are on now.

The other possibility is that I can add a small low superstructure area forward of the exhausts and put some of the comms cear there (as well as expanded intakes.

Anyway this was a challenge I enjoyed but it was tough! If anyone has comments much appreciated, but specifically if anyone has advice on top down drawings I am all ears!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: March 15th, 2013, 8:08 pm
Sorry had to!!!!:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: March 15th, 2013, 9:02 pm
I see a long dissertation about laser...
Just a small question: which is the basic effect of a laser beam on a ballistic rocket that leads to the destruction of the missile itself???
A laser will never damage a ship larger than a RHIB...

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: March 19th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Burning holes through it igniting the rocket fuel and/or detonating the warhead, the process of which will eventually render a high speed missile aerodynamically or structurally unsound and cause it to disintegrate itself, especially the high speed ASMs.

The heat transfer from that will actually destroy most equipment in a diameter of feet around that on a larger target. That is more than enough to destroy a RHIB or other small boat (especially if you get to the fuel) or mission kill a larger combatant.

It appears the basis of my AU is not all that far from current events!

http://news.usni.org/2013/03/18/report- ... flight-iii

EDIT: Spelling

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: April 9th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Looks like LaWS is closer to reality than my previous research showd. It was recently sent to the Persion Gulf for experimental use.

Here is a pic of it on a DDG in a dedicated modular encloure dropped on the flight deck.

[ img ]

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/world ... ml?hp&_r=0

There is a pretty cool video in the link.

Last edited by Shipright on June 24th, 2014, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: April 9th, 2013, 1:13 pm
I'm still hoping for an finalised design here (or at least one with all the stuff on board, doesn't have to be all finished to be able to comment on the basic design)

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: April 9th, 2013, 4:18 pm
Work picked up and refinancing the house so I took a break, but as you can see I am still collecting info and researching energy weapons for the purpose of applying to this design.

If things quite down hopefully I can get back to work this weekend, the fiance is out of town so I can waste a couple hours in front of the PC without the dirty looks!

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: April 19th, 2013, 7:14 pm
So many weeks have passed and I have basically... just rearranged the engine spaces again!

Well, honestly I hit a wall with this one so when I opened it back up today I just kind of started over again with the engines. So thoughts on this update:

1.) This is actually the FFGX as I have been doing a lot of thinking about tactical lasers and I was running myself in circles. Sot he bow mount is gone for now and when I get to the FFLX I will probably just replace the Mk110 with the laser weapon. Before you announce victory I have every intention of drawing that design and believe in that location, it was however contributing to my block and I wanted to move on.

2.) Since the FFLX is what the LCS should have been, I wanted it to have plenty of space for small boats/special warfare staging/working room for any number of MIO and humanitarian missions so for all intents and purposes the hangers extend all the way forward to the exhaust stacks, not moved forward as to not obstruct the boat deck or hangar at all. The hanger deck is actually about a meter higher than the rest of that deck and there is a bulkhead there, but with large slidde away doors it can be opened up to provide clean access between them. The original idea was to be able to house four 7 meter rhibs abreast just forward of the hanger with a gantry type crain in the overhead to move them to doors on either side of the vessel.

Then I got a bug to make enough room for a larger small boat such as a CB90 derivative or other spec ops rigs which would be very helpful in many littoral missions. such a craft would also be invaluable when defending against small boats during straights passages and the like. I probably bit off more than I can chew here with the CB90. The door you see is large enough and there is room between the hanger and the exhaust stack to house one with room for a 7m RHIB abreast on either side, but I am feeling it is too much.

3.) With the stacks moved forward I added a small aft superstructure on top of the hanger which will house a lot of the comms and other electronics to take some of the bulk out of the foward mast and make room for the main sensors. I am not sure what sensors I will use yet.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: March 7th, 2014, 2:40 pm
An update on one of the weapons systems we were discussing in this thread. LaWS will be deployed for the first time shortly.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... is-summer/

And the drawing from before:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: FFLX/FFGXPosted: March 7th, 2014, 11:06 pm
Shipright,
I sent to you a "very-special" PM, to improve your current FFLX/FFGX design.
Now I am waiting for your DRAWING answer :mrgreen:
;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 12  [ 114 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: