Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 818 »
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 1:18 am
The ships will be built on a specialized hull, 600, 800 and 800 feet for the FFGN, DDGN, CGN. The increased manpower is not a concern for us. Our reasoning for these ships, is to be able to cruise with our 2 carriers, without relying on the carriers themselves to be refueled at sea.

What if, instead of a permit for the carrier, have a permit for the fleet, and you can add or take away ships as needed, without having individual permits?

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 2:06 am
Thiel wrote:
But is the lower lifetime cost enough to be worth it when it comes to smaller ships?
They require more manpower to operate, the turbines doesn't last as long as either gas or steam turbines and the cost of nuclear fuel is directly related, if somewhat behind on the curve, to the cost of oil.
At the same time, the hulls are going to be even more expensive to build compared to its conventional brother than is the case on super carriers due to the far tighter space constraints. Coolers et al does not scale down well.
You touch on some good points, but as I said, things break even at around 5000 tons displacement.
Quote:
And the basing problem is a rather serious one, since a large proportions of the US's allies won't allow nuclear powered ships in their harbours. Granted, carriers are tends to get special permits, but I have a hard time imagining an FFGN getting the same treatment. Remember, nuclear ships aren't any more survivable than their conventional counterparts.
Imagine the political snarfu Cole would have become if she'd been nuclear.
HAH! I wondered if you would mention that. Cole was in Aden because she was low on fuel after having done a high-speed run from the eastern seaboard. a Nuclear ship would never have been there.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 2:08 am
TimothyC wrote:
Thiel wrote:
But is the lower lifetime cost enough to be worth it when it comes to smaller ships?
They require more manpower to operate, the turbines doesn't last as long as either gas or steam turbines and the cost of nuclear fuel is directly related, if somewhat behind on the curve, to the cost of oil.
At the same time, the hulls are going to be even more expensive to build compared to its conventional brother than is the case on super carriers due to the far tighter space constraints. Coolers et al does not scale down well.
You touch on some good points, but as I said, things break even at around 5000 tons displacement.
Quote:
And the basing problem is a rather serious one, since a large proportions of the US's allies won't allow nuclear powered ships in their harbours. Granted, carriers are tends to get special permits, but I have a hard time imagining an FFGN getting the same treatment. Remember, nuclear ships aren't any more survivable than their conventional counterparts.
Imagine the political snarfu Cole would have become if she'd been nuclear.
HAH! I wondered if you would mention that. Cole was in Aden because she was low on fuel after having done a high-speed run from the eastern seaboard. a Nuclear ship would never have been there.
We still are going to have conventional ships, that are much smaller (400, 500, 550). The nuclear ships will be used in the 2 Carrier Strike Fleets.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 2:17 am
ezgo394 wrote:
The ships will be built on a specialized hull, 600, 800 and 800 feet for the FFGN, DDGN, CGN. The increased manpower is not a concern for us. Our reasoning for these ships, is to be able to cruise with our 2 carriers, without relying on the carriers themselves to be refueled at sea.

What if, instead of a permit for the carrier, have a permit for the fleet, and you can add or take away ships as needed, without having individual permits?
O.o
This is not a parking ticket we're talking about here. Even getting basing rights at all is a major political game.
The US was able to do so in Japan only because the won the war and were free to demand any concessions from them.
Getting the Japanese to agree to the nuclear carriers took years of careful negotiations, and if I remember correctly, they only managed it sometime during the late nineties - early two thousands. Indeed, it wasn't until the last Kitty Hawk class carrier was retired in three years ago that the US started to deploy CVNs to Japan on a permanent basis.

Another factor is the fact that FFGNs, DDGNs and CGNs are far far more vulnerable to Cole style attacks, whereas a Nimitz probably could survive a near miss from a Davy Crockett.
And if there's one thing you don't want to have lying on the bottom of your harbour, it's a potentially leaking reactor.
Quote:
That really isn't the point. The point is that it's going to figure heavily in public thinking and therefore in the politicians actions.
A CVN is probably one of the safest ships to have in your harbour, but lots of countries still forbid them for aforementioned reasons.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 2:22 am
Well, Our CLOSEST Allies are Japan, Great Britain, Russia, Australia, and NZ. Does anyone know what they allow?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 2:34 am
ezgo394 wrote:
Well, Our CLOSEST Allies are Japan, Great Britain, Russia, Australia, and NZ. Does anyone know what they allow?
Japan doesn't, Australia is a major player in the non-proliferation movements and New Zealand and the USN haven't been on speaking terms for a couple of decades for the same reason.
I don't know about Great Britain.
Russia is irrelevant since with the allies you have, you won't get them on the boat.
The only reason why IoT would have build a navy like you envision in the first place is because they were involved fairly deeply in the Cold War, and since all your allies are "Western" countries and all your systems are American...

Well, you figure it out.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 2:54 am
Thiel wrote:
ezgo394 wrote:
Japan doesn't, Australia is a major player in the non-proliferation movements and New Zealand and the USN haven't been on speaking terms for a couple of decades for the same reason.
Russia is irrelevant since with the allies you have, you won't get them on the boat.
The only reason why IoT would have build a navy like you envision in the first place is because they were involved fairly deeply in the Cold War, and since all your allies are "Western" countries and all your systems are American...

Well, you figure it out.
We didnt like the Cold War. We kept ties with Russia and America, and built our fleet up with them. America shared tech with us because they wanted us to side with them, which we did. We have never had grudges against Russia, and they never hated us. The only reason our fleet is so big is because of ships leftover from the Cold War, that are still serving today, some with 40 years under their belt. We have no intention of scrapping them anytime soon, and when we do, we will try to replace them on a 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 basis, nuclear or non, depending on the role. Our FW Carrier, built in 1995, will be in service until 2045-2075, depending on the funds that can be set aside for upkeep. The McKinney Class, built in 1965, will hopefully be in service until 2035, but because of problems with the itegrity of the structure, it may see its last deployment in 2015. Our CGNs, DDGNs, and FFGNs are hopefully going to be in service until the FW Carrier is decommisioned, putting nearly over 100 years of service on them (built 1965-1975). We swithched to conventional power for single and fleet roles in the 1980s and that has been our standard. Our ships have been gradually downsized from 800 to 500 feet, due to the smaller size of turbines, but our weapons payload have been decreased. We want to build one more carrier in 2015 to replace or work alongside the McKinney until its retirement in 2035. The same goes with some of the Nuclear Warships. As I said before, we want our Carrier Strike Fleets to not have to worry about refueling in the middle of the ocean.

(Quick note. Our 2 Carrier Strike Groups are used to complement the USNs 12 Battle Groups.)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 3:15 am
ezgo394 wrote:
Thiel wrote:
ezgo394 wrote:

Well, you figure it out.
We didnt like the Cold War. We kept ties with Russia and America, and built our fleet up with them. America shared tech with us because they wanted us to side with them, which we did.

The only way you would ever get the US to share top of the line military equipment is if you were part of a military alliance against the Soviets.
Quote:
We have never had grudges against Russia, and they never hated us.
Why the feck wouldn't they? You were actively reinforcing their enemy. And even if you don't have any grudges, they certainly will.
Quote:
The only reason our fleet is so big is because of ships leftover from the Cold War,

Which is exactly what I said. And again, that means no Rusky ally.
Quote:
that are still serving today, some with 40 years under their belt. We have no intention of scrapping them anytime soon, and when we do, we will try to replace them on a 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 basis, nuclear or non, depending on the role. Our FW Carrier, built in 1995, will be in service until 2045-2075, depending on the funds that can be set aside for upkeep. The McKinney Class, built in 1965, will hopefully be in service until 2035, but because of problems with the itegrity of the structure, it may see its last deployment in 2015. Our CGNs, DDGNs, and FFGNs are hopefully going to be in service until the FW Carrier is decommisioned, putting nearly over 100 years of service on them (built 1965-1975).

There is absolutely no way to get that much service life out of a military ship, and even if there were, they'd be so obsolete that they'd be worse than useless. And no, you can't keep upgrading them forever.
Look back a hundred years and see just how much naval warfare has changed.
Quote:
We swithched to conventional power for single and fleet roles in the 1980s and that has been our standard. Our ships have been gradually downsized from 800 to 500 feet, due to the smaller size of turbines, but our weapons payload have been decreased. We want to build one more carrier in 2015 to replace or work alongside the McKinney until its retirement in 2035. The same goes with some of the Nuclear Warships. As I said before, we want our Carrier Strike Fleets to not have to worry about refueling in the middle of the ocean.
Actually you still will. Maybe not fuel for the ships, but your aircraft still need fuel, and your ships still needs lube oil.
And then there's the matter of provisions and spares. Chances are you won't be able to carry enough for a full deployment.
Quote:
(Quick note. Our 2 Carrier Strike Groups are used to complement the USNs 12 Battle Groups.)
Another reason why the Russians wouldn't want to play.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 3:34 am
Righhttt. Let me rethink that.

Any ideas?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IoT (Isle of Texas)Posted: August 9th, 2010, 4:18 am
ezgo394 wrote:
Righhttt. Let me rethink that.

Any ideas?
Not really. You're trying to make a Mini USN, without a mini USA, and that's literally impossible.
Indeed, one could argue that a Mini anything in this connection is impossible.
It took two world wars and a cold war which it won, the worlds largest industrial base, plus a complete lack of enemies capable of invading their mainland, to put the US in the spot it is today.
Quite frankly, I cannot see how IoT can duplicate that, especially when you consider the fact that they would have been a British colony for at least as long as Australia was.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 818 »

Jump to: