Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 25  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 625 »
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 22nd, 2015, 8:57 pm
I'm not entirely sure how to fix some of these issues.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:06 pm
then ask questions how to, and which issues you do not know the answers to :P otherwise we cannot help ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:11 pm
Ok,

1: Derricks, where should I put more?

2: The superstructure is too uniform, what does this mean?

3: Too compressed?

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:21 pm
1: derricks: Just add some front and aft of the mast, like the two images above. Also you can use king-posts. These are small upright small masts either in front or aft of a cargo hatch with a derrick for cargo handling.
2: superstructure needs some breaks, a difference in height or width. Again look at the images provided, and also see other ships in the archive or the merchant ships thread
3: too compressed means that it is too short, not enough for a ship with the length you have used. Again, study real life ships.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:42 pm
There wouldn't seem to be much point in putting a derrick on the superstructure sides of each mast.

As for the other two I'll look into that.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 23rd, 2015, 12:07 am
Now, I'm not well versed on Ocean Liners, but from what I've seen, the mast is ahead of the main cargo hold hatch and the crane is facing the superstructure. As for the one facing forward, I think it is for loading the cargo hold through another (but probably smaller) hatch (or vice versa, with main hatch ahead and smaller hatch aft). This would decrease the time needed to load and unload, by having 2 cranes in such a setup. (Some one with more knowledge, like Novice will have a better answer).

Also, your cargo hatches are too tall, pronounced. Again, it may be better for someone else to comment on this, but it would look better if it were only 2-3 px high. with no discernible lid/cover. You sometimes can't even see them from the side view.

Another thing to consider is the bow and the stern curving upwards. Straight lines look clean, but it doesn't look realistic or even make sense. Look at comparable ships to get an idea on how to pull off the deck curvature. The SS Wilhelm Der Grosse and SS Laconia that Novice posted should be able to give you an idea.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 23rd, 2015, 2:18 am
Okay, before I make too many edits, how is this?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 23rd, 2015, 3:46 am
Looks to be more closer to the 1930's with the austere superstructure and lines, the 1910's had more raked lines and sort of dispersed superstructure aft

Looks more like MV Britannic (1929) than HMHS Britannic (1915), a whole generation of liner apart

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 23rd, 2015, 6:10 am
As there is obviously still some learning and teaching going on, this thread belongs to the Beginners forum

Golly

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Crovenian EmpirePosted: April 23rd, 2015, 9:40 am
Hi ABetterName,

It's looking OK (well, says the guy who's never drawn a liner ;)) - one point I would make about the superstructure is that it's partly to segregate out the various classes of passenger - from what I've studied of the Titanic and the Normandie, the more complex structure aft was to allow each individual class some time in the sun while precluding any mixing between the classes by virtue of the various promenades and sun decks being on physically different decks.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 25  [ 242 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 625 »

Jump to: