Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: USS Tablot (FFG-4)Posted: July 17th, 2013, 2:11 am
Novice wrote:
Railings are not the standard SB style, the correct railing are those that can be found near the Mk.22 SAM launcher. I also think you have used the wrong gun mounting (but I could be wrong, I'm not an expert).
Thank you sir. the gun is correct. It may not look right because I've painted the top a darker color, as is present on every picture of this ship I've seen. the dark paint is also present on the same gun system that is installed on other classes of ships also. I'm not positive why they did this, but I believe its non-skid, and I think they had to walk around on the top of the mount. Total guess there. I wasn't aware that there was a standard for the life lines (railings). I looked in the rules and the closest I could come by in the rules sates that it not necessary to redraw parts that have been drawn. The rails you mentioned as standard on real USN ships are usually found on the 01 and above levels. The type I have drawn are almost universal on the main deck of all USN ships. They have usually 4 cables that are run between the posts. I could only do 3 here or be way out of SB scale. They use the cables on the main deck so they can remove them if needed, such as for UNREP or placing a gangway. Personally, I think they look a little more realistic, and I am curious what you guys think of them. Go or no go? Finally the railings aft and above the bridge have a off white vinyl material placed over them. I have also seen this material colored haze grey. Not sure the exact purpose of these is its more than just for looks, but my ship wore these near and above the bridge also. I chose white because almost every picture I've found of the Talbot, she is wearing the white ones.

I appreciate your comments and I hope I've explained myself :D

Joe

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: USS Tablot (FFG-4)Posted: July 17th, 2013, 2:14 am
latest update
[ img ]

Am I shading correctly?

Any comments or suggestion welcome

EDIT* I realize the SM-1 is way out of scale. Actually forgot I had it on there until after I posted. It will be gone next round

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USS Tablot (FFG-4)Posted: July 17th, 2013, 4:50 am
shipbucket uses standard railings on all but special railings (for example, helideck and around the gun and torpedo tubes there are often different ones, which can be folded or removed) for the sake of clarity. we do this because sb just has the system that we 'show railings' which are already way oversized in thickness compared to the real ship and can thus not be represented accurately. you may notice that every single drawing in shipbucket has exactly this railing, with 2 wires, 6 pixels high, and the poles 5 pixels from each other. this is just another thing from the standard, just like the template and the parts sheet.

btw, I might try to scan an good reference drawing from friedmans so you can do a good checkup of the original drawing ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: