Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
Mabuse1
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 27th, 2012, 9:52 pm
Now take this, traditionalists !!!

Hehe, I developed my idea a little further... It's still WORK IN PROGRESS ... needs some detailing, funnels etc. especially on the top view.

I though I go back to square one. That was where I liked the Visby class for its nice stalthy design, and I mixed it up with a racing boat. I think its somewhat in the vein of the newest unorthodox designs, like the Visby or the Independence-class.

Gotta love me for that wooden deck :mrgreen: But that radar is really ugly, and yet its a sleek one! I have to find a way for that...

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 27th, 2012, 10:10 pm
Before we start up here: Are you an Troll!

[Profile] [Quote]
Mabuse1
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 27th, 2012, 10:19 pm
heuhen wrote:
what do you mean? I'm posting pics and everything... why do you think I'm a troll???

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 27th, 2012, 10:25 pm
I think it's because of how whimsical that design is.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 27th, 2012, 10:42 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
I think it's because of how whimsical that design is.
yeah and you do show that you can draw boats'

oh and that wooden deck

But enough with that.

I will start the round, the other people will come with rest (Note this is not to say this is impossible to do, suggestion's about what is most likely not possible and what can't be done and can be done. But also where things can be improved)

1. The hull good idea, but you should go for more a Visby like hull, since this hull is designed for something different (Most likely Acelanceloet can explain this a bit better than me!), one a 8 meter speed boat the hull basic line would be good...

2. That pod some you use as a part of you'r propulsion system, is not an good solution for this type of vessel (That pod is more like a pod you find on heavy Tugs, and they do mostly 10-18 knots! Cruise ships around 25 knots. But on totally different hulls) Here it is best to go for Visby class and/or Skjold class propulsion system: "Waterjet"

3. Radar is okay as it is. just some small thing but there is Ace... more capable to explain.

that was my starting three. Suggestions/What can and can't/possible improvement.

Ant the ball goes to ...

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 28th, 2012, 5:36 am
heuhen wrote:
That's more than a little harsh.

He can draw but I think he's not as knowledgable on hydrodynamics as other people.

Anyway, back to OP, you've basically enlarged a planning speedboat's hull. It doesn't really work that way, but it'd be a nice basis for an FD-scale boat.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 28th, 2012, 9:49 am
uhm..... ow god..... uhm.....
that won't work. no really, it won't. I have no time now to explain why not, but take from me that there are a few very good reasons why this is never done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mabuse1
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 28th, 2012, 2:00 pm
I dont really understand what your problem is... its not more realistic or unrealistic as a lot of the designs around here. Isn't this forum about having fun designing ships?

By the way, if 10 years ago I had come up with the idea of a 130m 3000t trimaran with a huge helicopter deck and modular weaponry in cargo boxes, I guess your answers would have been: Oh NO! How unrealistic! This has never been done before! For obvious reasons! Well... and there you go :twisted:

BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG: I appreciate your comments very much! Really! Just have a little bit more courage for using... phantasy. ;)

So here is the final one:

Ta Moko-Class Fleet Interceptor

[ img ]

I'm impatiently awaiting your comments harhar

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 28th, 2012, 2:21 pm
we are here designing realistic ships. the 'just for fun, cramm stuff on it and make it do things impossible' is what we make fun of mostly :P

the problem with this hull is that it will break under the forces of high speed. just scaling the reinforcements up is impossible, as the water is relatively thinner, the metal relatively weaker, etc.

also, in an speedboat, the crew is fixed in position in the most ideal position. in an warship, they will have to walk around, which is impossible in this hull in any speed above 15 knots.

an idea how an (semi) planing hull for warships works, is LCS-1. and even that ship has huge problems with strenght, fuel concumption and other things.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: February 20th, 2013, 7:15 pm
Is four months a necro? Anways...

I do appreciate the out of box idea here, but am weary of the hull stresses that make the idea impossible as drawn. So since I am no expert on hull forms a few questions for ace?

1.) My first impression as to why this hull would break is due to the weight of the gun and the gun and VLS forward that would lift out of the water and thus lose its structural support? Is that correct? If so could moving the VLS aft and reducing the size of the gun alleviate this? I would imagine removing the sonar entirely, it would just get beet to crap and lose dome preassure out of the water. That would also save a lot of forward weight though.

2.) The engine pods have been mentioned, which I assume will be nonfunctional when the ship planes their attitude would be radically different and would need more articulation to be effecting? If so would water jet propulsion correct this and is it even possible on a ship of this weight?

3.) I don't think crew comfort would be an issue if you simply didn't operate it that fast all the time. While cumbersome you could have secure seating for the crew when using this at "full combat speed". I would be more worried about sensative electronics than people.

4.) Which brings me to my final note, that "combat speed" would be anything but because I don't think you could use VLS when bouncing around like a speed boat. You would actually have more of a pursuit speed and then have to slow down for actual weapons use.

Anway, just my thoughts.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: