Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
Trojan
Post subject: Re: HMS KenyaPosted: April 1st, 2012, 1:03 am
I believe they were referred to as both as u say
I have a book that calls them the Fiji class

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS KenyaPosted: April 1st, 2012, 5:58 pm
KimWerner wrote:
Nice to see HMS Kenya drawn, and well done too :D A little nit pick; you call it Fiji Class - it could be right - but my sources says the class was named Crown Colony Class? I realize several class's were/are named with more than one name, so it's only an enlightning question ;)
Kim, Janes fighting ships lists them as Fiji class as distict from Ceylon and Newfoundland which only had three turrets. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: HMS KenyaPosted: April 1st, 2012, 6:34 pm
Bombhead wrote:
Kim, Janes fighting ships lists them as Fiji class as distict from Ceylon and Newfoundland which only had three turrets. :geek:
Thank you for clearing that issue up :) I'll correct my CoA template then ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Bootneckbandy
Post subject: Re: HMS KenyaPosted: April 4th, 2012, 11:29 am
There were eleven Fiji Class Cruisers in the orginal build estimates. When they were designed, they all had four six inch triple barrel turrets, A, B, X and Y, and following the addition of AAA they were deemed to be top heavy, so one of the six inch turrets had to be removed. The original Cruisers were called Colony Class, and the later ships like HMS Ceylon were renamed Ceylon Class as they did not have the same armament as the original Fiji Class. Personally, having served on C48, I always refer to it as a Colony Class, and I am sure those who served on C14 also called their ship Colony Class. David Lippman in the USA would argue differently, but, recent events with the dimunition of Ships Association Members, there has been a suggestion that a Colony Class Association be formed. Please refer to my web page at www.hmsgambia.com and click on Colony Class link for further information. I sincerely hope that I have not muddied that waters? Also a Crane was removed along with the Walrus Launch Ramp and one Hangar was converted into a P.O.'s Mess.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: