Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
jezza
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 4:31 am
Ok, new flag, new TACAN needed. FYI Tim, the dome on top of the fore mast is actually a SPQ-9B radar - this info was goven to me by the cross-section diagram on the previous page. TACANs on the San Antonio are above the bridge and I think the hanger too.

EDIT: The "RAM" words will be removed when I'm happy with the drawing and I put it on a proper template - just my notes so I know what it is!

Also, thanks guys for you help, it's really appreciated, as I've never done something like this before! Cheers!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 7:27 am
jezza wrote:
Ok, new flag, new TACAN needed. FYI Tim, the dome on top of the fore mast is actually a SPQ-9B radar - this info was goven to me by the cross-section diagram on the previous page. TACANs on the San Antonio are above the bridge and I think the hanger too.
Ok:
  1. If it has a dome, it's the SPQ-9A, not the B. The B never has a dome. Never ever ever.
  2. Right now, atop the pole just aft of the SPQ-9A is an old drawing of a TACAN unit. That is what I was talking about updating. It's atop the pole on the Flight three Burke I linked to as well. If your diagrams show a lightning rod, then add one similar to those on the Spruance drawings on the main site.

[Profile] [Quote]
jezza
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 8:02 am
TimothyC wrote:
If it has a dome, it's the SPQ-9A, not the B. The B never has a dome. Never ever ever
:x

Ok. I dont know lots about radars/subsystems etc, which is why all I know is learnt off the ships I find out about. I just saw the diagram which Colombamike posted which labeled the dome on top of the mast as SPQ-9B. This was the assumption here.
TimothyC wrote:
Right now, atop the pole just aft of the SPQ-9A is an old drawing of a TACAN unit.
Sorry, I thought that the small dome on top of the mast was the TACAN unit. Thanks, I'll put the new one in too.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 2:22 pm
jezza wrote:
Ok. I dont know lots about radars/subsystems etc, which is why all I know is learnt off the ships I find out about. I just saw the diagram which Colombamike posted which labeled the dome on top of the mast as SPQ-9B. This was the assumption here.
Don't worry about it. I know that sometimes on diagrams radars that spin are shown as domes that the radar would fit inside. Sometimes the diagrams are just plain wrong too. Four years ago, I didn't know squat about shipborne radars and electronics. We all learn, and we all get better over time. :)

As I've noted before, you've got a good start so keep up the good work.

[Profile] [Quote]
jezza
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 4th, 2012, 1:06 pm
So, I'm pretty happy with the details right now. What do you all think?

[ img ]

Also, how do I submit the drawing for upload?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 4th, 2012, 7:00 pm
Well, it's going to go in the Never Built folder (because this is the earlier, never built version).

In a few months Golly will post a thread asking for the submissions, and you will post the ship in that thread. I will then go "A ha! I have that saved in my personal archive!" and not download it again when I make up the Updated USN folders for Golly. Once he uploads the USN folders it will be in the archive, your drawing will be there.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 4th, 2012, 7:07 pm
I'd suggest saving it as a .PNG file and not as a .JPG or similar file form, as this causes and has caused image artifacts such as blurring.

[Profile] [Quote]
jezza
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 5th, 2012, 9:04 am
ONI-Defense wrote:
I'd suggest saving it as a .PNG file and not as a .JPG or similar file form, as this causes and has caused image artifacts such as blurring.
Already done, I've read the rules and I work everything as .PNGs ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 5th, 2012, 10:45 am
Hopefully to see the final real version (with stealthy mast) ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: LPD-17 San AntonioPosted: February 5th, 2012, 6:38 pm
Coming along nicely... nothing really jumps out as incorrect. Maybe a little fine-tuning of the area around the pilothouse.

Are you certain about the size and positioning of the bilge keels? They seem unlikely.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to β€œBeginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: