Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 6  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 12:39 am
Then you need to cut the Phalanxes, and have something other than SPY-1F (bigger that is). I'll deal with more later.

[Profile] [Quote]
SINJOORTJE
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 2:59 am
Well, I read a tom clancy book called Red Storm Rising and at one point the Russians launch a huge missle attack on a Carrier battlegroup from bombers and I was thinking along the lines of if that happened, then it would be helpfull to have a large number of close range fast firing cannons to decrease the number of missles.
Also not nitpicking on BlueEagle but in a modern conflict his ship did not have appropriate weapons. I means 12 12 in guns and one 64 cell VLS, a bunch of phalanxes, a classic sea sparrow and a couple of MK.45s. Really? But I do have to say that his ship is one of the most beautiful ships I have seen

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 3:28 am
SINJOORTJE wrote:
Well, I read a tom clancy book called Red Storm Rising and at one point the Russians launch a huge missle attack on a Carrier battlegroup from bombers and I was thinking along the lines of if that happened, then it would be helpfull to have a large number of close range fast firing cannons to decrease the number of missles.
Also not nitpicking on BlueEagle but in a modern conflict his ship did not have appropriate weapons. I means 12 12 in guns and one 64 cell VLS, a bunch of phalanxes, a classic sea sparrow and a couple of MK.45s. Really? But I do have to say that his ship is one of the most beautiful ships I have seen
<rubs temples>

Ok. Remember how they got into that problem in RSR? The Phalanx mounts were a last resort. The book also predates the more rapid rate of fire, and higher magazine capacities of the VLS Ticos, and Burkes over the Mk-26 Ticos. The fact is, I can't think of any ships that were ever deployed with more than four Phalanx mounts. Also keep in mind that Phalanx has been superseded by RAM mounts, which offer longer range, and better PKs against supersonic missiles.

Keep this in mind - if you are the USN and you need a lot of CIWS fire, you've done several things wrong. The situation in RSR is highly unlikely to occur for a very long time.

And for the record, RSR was just as much Larry Bond as it was Clancy, as was Hunt. Later books were not, and suffered for it.

[Profile] [Quote]
SINJOORTJE
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 3:35 am
Good point. I forgot that there were not ANY VLS in that part. I think I will delete 2 of the superstructure and replace another pair with sea ram. And what air search radar do U recomend?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 8:30 am
A couple of points
*Your radar loadout are rather underwhelming and you're badly under equipped in the FCR department.
*Too many CIWS. At the very least you can get rid of the one buried in the bow, the one next to the flight deck and the ones abeam the SPY arrays. I'd then put one on the small platform in front of the forward Spy arrays. That way any incoming target can be engaged by at least two guns. You might also want to look into replacing them with RAM if missile defence is your only concern. Alternatively you could replace the centreline mounts with RAM and keep the beam mounts as they are in order to counter suicide boats etc.
*You'll need a reloading system for the MLRS if it's going to make a difference. Right now you have 12 shots before you'll have to return to base to reload.
*Why carry the 5"/62? You already have 8" (I assume) guns to do shore bombardment and enough missiles to take down most of the third world's air forces. You are going to need a lot of ammunition for said 8inchers and the 5" ammo is going to cut into the available space.
*That searchlight would be at home on a WWII destroyer. Doesn't really fit a ~2000s cruiser.
*Port-holes. Modern ships doesn't have them because they reduce hull-strength.
*You're using a very old and out of scale torpedo tubes
*No hangar? I'd expect at least two helicopters on a ship like this.
*The boat facilities also seems a bit meagre for the ships size.
*You have no mooring or anchor gear.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
SINJOORTJE
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 2:46 pm
The guns are not stealth mount 8 inchers. They are double 5 inch stealth mounts. I want to keep the bow and aft Phalanx mounts but I will take away the superstructure mounts and replace them with a sea ram mount.
The MLRS reloads like the th MK. 13 SM-1 mount.
Just wondering. How many 64 cell VLS do you think I can put in the bow?
3-4?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 3:20 pm
Ok, suggestions with an image to help it go smoother:

[ img ]

Red (removal) [Bow to stern]
  • Bow Phalanx - This mount has very very limited utility in the current position
  • Beam Mk-45 mounts. I'm not sure what they add to your anti-ship and anti-air missions, plus I'm not sure you have the beam for them.
  • Phalanxs abeam your SPY-1 Faces
  • Forward set of SVTTs. The addition torpedo armament doesn't add much to the ship, but the magazines do take up volume in a plac where you need to be careful of the volume used.
  • Air uptakes. You're going to be nuclear powered on this ship (you have to be because the one turbine exhaust isn't bit enough to move the ship ath 30 knots, much less do that and run the hotel load.
  • Aft Phalanx, it doesn't add much, and would interfere with the operation of the aft gun once it is moved.
Green (Places for RAM not SeaRAM launchers

Pink (Updated parts are needed, and you need to move to a larger set of SPY-1 faces)

Blue (movement)
  • The two aft VLS cell arrays should be moved aft and together.
  • The Aft gun should be moved further aft (to just aft of where the aft most VLS cell array is now)
  • Your MRLS launcher should be moved to where the aft gun is now (if you keep it).
  • A hanger for a pair of H-60s, or two hangers for one H-60 each need to go on the aft superstructure where the super-structure VLS is now, with the pad where the MRLS is now.
Your MRLS needs a reloading mechanism, and I'd do a similar mechanism to what was used on the Brooke class for ASROC (the launcher would partially elevate and new rockets would be slid up from the rear of the launcher)
SINJOORTJE wrote:
The MLRS reloads like the th MK. 13 SM-1 mount.
It can't, the geometry of the mount doesn't work.
SINJOORTJE wrote:
Just wondering. How many 64 cell VLS do you think I can put in the bow? 3-4?
Two at most. Best case you've got a 20,000 ton ship, and a dedicate full cruiser design for the USN in the late 80's had one 64 cell array forward and one 64 cell array aft. You don't want to overload your ship like they did with the Ticos.

[Profile] [Quote]
SINJOORTJE
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 7:45 pm
Well it is not a cruiser. It is a battlecruiser.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 7:53 pm
Doesn't change anything we've said

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Look I'm sort a new so here are some stuff i didPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 9:14 pm
SINJOORTJE wrote:
Well it is not a cruiser. It is a battlecruiser.
Ok, in your own words, what is a cruiser and what is a battlecruiser?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 6  [ 56 posts ]  Return to β€œBeginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: