Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 8  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 10:42 pm
I was thinking of making very wide VlS launchers which would originally be used by the V2 missile then be use by a more "modern" one.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 10:52 pm
Hi Battleship lover,

Personally, I'd recommend against using the V2 - Japan never used it, iirc, and if we're looking at some sort of post-war build off German tech they had quite a few other projects that would probably have been of more interest - Wasserfall for one, but there really were a suprising number of prototype SAMs in development by various arms of the Third Reich.

Unless you explicitly want a land-bombardment rocket, in which case, putting a V2 - with all of it's delicate gyros, etc - on a rolling ship probably renders it a) extremely inaccurate and b) very dangerous to the crew - it's at least not using hypergolic fuels but I can't imagine that much lox and alcohol fuel will play nice with the rest of the warship - there were stories about WWII Japanese surface ships taking heavy damage from secondary explosions of their own torpedoes and I'd worry this would cause essentially the same effect.

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 11:02 pm
I would advice though that you use RL equipment, because otherwise it will be nigh impossible for us to properly respond to it. This will also be a great chance to learn about RL radar systems, and what a modern ship(or old ship modernized) needs in terms of electronics. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 11:18 pm
Why not go for a Japan that made up peacefully with the allies as they win WW2 just selling supplies to them ? This might need a POD in late 30s but might not butterfly Yamato.
(I think this is more likely than a Japanese 'win' v USA and means you can use allied weapons but maybe no pacific war will butterfly lots of the US kit :? ).

What sort of rebuild are you going for,
Yamato with a few boxed missiles + radar (1980s Iowa's)
or full rebuild ?

JSB.

[Profile] [Quote]
ussnimitz1968
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 24th, 2014, 12:59 am
Colosseum wrote:
I eagerly await the masterpiece that this thread will inevitably produce...
:?: :|

[Profile] [Quote]
Cei
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 24th, 2014, 1:28 am
A good reference for a modernized Yamato... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYd8dC_WDVw

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 24th, 2014, 1:52 am
What even I don't know :/

The Yamato would probably have to have a rebuild to increase her top speed by at least 1.5-2 knots, as even when she was built, she was in the slower category of Major IJN unit.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
battleship lover
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 24th, 2014, 5:48 pm
[ img ]
This is what I have done so far. I mostly tore out useless equipment.

[Profile] [Quote]
Imperialist
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 24th, 2014, 7:38 pm
Ok well i'll try and give you a few pointers, but I don't know much about ships and the modernizing process but here is what i pointed out about the drawing itself:

http://postimg.org/image/cq4dtq9st/full/

1. I think you removed a bit too much on certain areas, especially the guidewires (not too sure about that) and the main turrets are pretty bare, might as well kept them the same.
2. If its gonna be a 90's ship, might as well remove all the 25mm stands
3. Is retaining the heavy AA mounts absolutely necessary? I mean there is most likely going to be equipment there that would be much more useful. (maybe you're going for a modernized-Iowa "look"?)
4. Since you've removed the 6.1 inch guns, maybe remove the stands for those too? Unless they still have a purpose such as mounting CIWS, SSM/AAM, or electronics
5. Searchlights are next to useless due to radar
6. Dont forget to but back the railing!

Also, nothing about the equipment on the Yamato was "useless" it all had a purpose on the ship.

EDIT: cant figure out why image is resizing, i'll try to fix it; link posted instead.

Germany AU Thread
Luft '46 Thread

List of Aircraft with Acquired Data (Updated)
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 80#p123956

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The modernized YamatoPosted: June 24th, 2014, 7:57 pm
battleship lover wrote:
So after studying some Japanese battleships I realized that the IJN seemed to put there ships in service for a long time. And if Japan won ww2 it was likely that if the Yamato survived they would of kept it going for a long long time. The area of this "Modernized Yamato would be the 1990's- 2000.
:lol:
Before drawing a (impossible) 1990's-2000's Yamato BB
Not better to draw a
- 1946/1947 version (very easy)
- a mid 1950's version (somewhat difficult but possible)
after that
- 1960's (very difficult)
almost no hope for beyond that

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 8  [ 71 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: