Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 2:06 pm
My next update.
1) Minor mod to the FL-3000N launcher, added a maintenance door near the upper bearing.
2) Finished out the aft mast with radar and comms.
3) Flipped the order of the YJ-83 launchers so the fore fires starboard and the aft one to port.
4) Worked on the 30mm cannon station.
5) Created a new dishes for the Type 360 and Type 347 radars.
6) Bridge structure tweaks.
7) Random pixel killing.
8) Initial shading attempts on some of the angled surfaces of the superstructure.

[ img ]

What program is being used for the title block's lettering? I tried every program I had on my computer and they all came out like on the image, nothing like what the title block looks like.

Oh, and after fiddling with the FL-3000N, the 30mm gum, the 76mm gun, and those radars, the guys who make the part sheets are my heros. That kind of fiddly little detail work is not easy. Not and have it come out looking like something.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 2:15 pm
I dont know anything about modern Chinese ships but I can offer help on the Title block text. The text is antialiased which means it isn't concise and non-pixelated, this can be changed on your computers settings. Assuming you're using MS Paint, the size is different that stated on the template. Top text is size 10 and the lower text is size 6-7 depending on the letters

The ship still looks awfully short in height, don't know why that is

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 2:35 pm
Quote:
I dont know anything about modern Chinese ships
Well that makes two of us.
Quote:
Assuming you're using MS Paint, the size is different that stated on the template. Top text is size 10 and the lower text is size 6-7 depending on the letters
Well that seems counter productive.
Quote:
The text is antialiased which means it isn't concise and non-pixelated, this can be changed on your computers settings.
I'll have a look, thanks.
Quote:
The ship still looks awfully short in height, don't know why that is
It's a 1,400 ton corvette. Fairly small ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 2:45 pm
bsmart wrote:
Well that seems counter productive.
It's because the numbers displayed in the template are for Photoshop, which was the dominant program used by the original SB artists.

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Modern Gun Cruiser and Chinese Type 056 CorvePosted: June 3rd, 2014, 2:53 pm
That makes more sense. Didn't realize that font sizes weren't a constant. Learn something new every day.

On a separate note, what would we need to do about starting a Chinese ship part sheet?

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Chinese Type 056 Corvette and Ridiculous Modern Gun CruiPosted: June 5th, 2014, 5:07 pm
Ok, I tweaked the proportions of the ship. Should be more in line with the real thing. Also made some mods to the Type 360 radar.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Chinese Type 056 Corvette and Ridiculous Modern Gun CruiPosted: June 5th, 2014, 5:38 pm
Re: Part sheets, best way to go is to get a inventory of parts drawn to start with, I'd recommend collaborating with other users that have drawn chinese parts

Few other points

* the hull line running from the prow to stern should be a dark grey, same as the panel outlines on the superstructure.

*Missiles should be at least 3 pixels in thickness unless there are really extenuating circumstances

*Might want to look at the underwater hull again, as that chine line from the waterline to the transom suggests some really weird shapes

Is it me or do Chinese weapons designers just essentially look at western weapons and use that as aim point for the finished product? I'm just yet to see one that doesn't look like a western system from a few years back

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
bsmart
Post subject: Re: Chinese Type 056 CorvettePosted: June 5th, 2014, 6:48 pm
I'll work on the shading with respect to the line.

The missile I'll fix as well. I actually wanted to compare the actual missile's size to the launcher hence the pixel sized line for the missile stand in.

Back on the first page I've got a shot of the underwater hull from the bow. There's actually is a weird shape going on. The side of the hull continues on down underwater before making a sharp break for the curved portion of the bottom. One of the things about drawing this ship is that there are some oddities with how its shaped and that's given me fits with respect to how to most accurately represent those details.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Chinese Type 056 CorvettePosted: June 5th, 2014, 7:04 pm
I think a dark red led with appropriate shading underneath would portray the shape well, do note it does extend over the waterline

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: