Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Ruterra
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 5:25 pm
[ img ]

Here is my current version of the DDG I am designing. I just want some pointers and help before I add the railing and details.

To allow the ship to handle the equipment I wanted I used a light cruiser hull and shortened it to about 150 m long. I used two Mk. 22 launches for the forward and rear GMLS. I used the Mk 10 GMLS on the stern and the Mk 8 for the midship GMLS. I kept the RUR-5 ASROC on the front like my previous drawing.

Is there something that is incorrect or needs to be fixed?

Last edited by Ruterra on March 27th, 2014, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 5:30 pm
first of all, some pointers.
the midship GMLS is not going to fit. that is for certain.
the aft GMLS might fit, but only just.
the Mk 13 was drawn without the missiles on it because quite a few missiles are oversized on the parts sheets for detailing. I would ask you to not add them on, because that results in some horrible problems with scaling etc.
I would suggest replacing the Mk 13's with guns. guns are for quite a few targets still attractive, and not many ships have been build without them.
an Mk 10 GMLS can fire ASROC as well. if you have that on board, you might leave the Mk 112 off.

also, if you cannot fix the photobucket settings, would you maybe try another image host? I use the public folder of dropbox, but others use imageshack, majhost, for example. I have some more comments but with the picture being resized I cannot really look into them that much.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ruterra
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 5:43 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
first of all, some pointers.
the midship GMLS is not going to fit. that is for certain.
the aft GMLS might fit, but only just.
the Mk 13 was drawn without the missiles on it because quite a few missiles are oversized on the parts sheets for detailing. I would ask you to not add them on, because that results in some horrible problems with scaling etc.
I would suggest replacing the Mk 13's with guns. guns are for quite a few targets still attractive, and not many ships have been build without them.
an Mk 10 GMLS can fire ASROC as well. if you have that on board, you might leave the Mk 112 off.

also, if you cannot fix the photobucket settings, would you maybe try another image host? I use the public folder of dropbox, but others use imageshack, majhost, for example. I have some more comments but with the picture being resized I cannot really look into them that much.
Ok I will fix the image host quickly so you can look at the ship more closely before I continue on.

Also what type of guns should I replace the Mk.13's with?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 5:58 pm
depends on the role.
Mk 42 guns have IIRC the same 'footprint' as the Mk 13 launcher, so that might be an good one to look at. all of the same weight and size class (oto 127 compact, bofors 120mm (the twin is I think too heavy) for example)

by replacing the aft Mk 13 with an gun, you might be able to fit the Mk 10 somewhat more amidships, where the Mk 13 is now. that would, I think, be the only way to fit the Mk 10 on a ship this size, seeing that the farragut class was the smallest with this system on board.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ruterra
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 6:20 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
depends on the role.
Mk 42 guns have IIRC the same 'footprint' as the Mk 13 launcher, so that might be an good one to look at. all of the same weight and size class (oto 127 compact, bofors 120mm (the twin is I think too heavy) for example)

by replacing the aft Mk 13 with an gun, you might be able to fit the Mk 10 somewhat more amidships, where the Mk 13 is now. that would, I think, be the only way to fit the Mk 10 on a ship this size, seeing that the farragut class was the smallest with this system on board.
So when I get rid of the Mk 8 amidships then what should I put there? Also could I put the Mk 8 in the forward area under the bridge and placed the oto 127 compact in front of the Mk 8? Also if i were to place down a Mk 9 where the Mk 13 is, what could I [lace on top of it (Other weapons, radars, range finders?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 6:29 pm
the Mk 8 is an one off, and I think it should stay it.
for this hull, I would suggest 1 Mk 10 mod 0, ASROC and the gun forward. you might be able to fit an gun aft too, but that might be too much for the hull. (this is more or less what the farragut class has)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... DDG-37.jpg
I would use the midships for the ships boats, liferafts and a bit of growth space for modernisation (later on, you might for example add anti-ship missiles)

this might look a bit empty, but that is really all the weapons an hull this size can take.

(note also, the Mk 9 GMLS is about half the size of your entire ship :P)

[Profile] [Quote]
Ruterra
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 6:44 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
the Mk 8 is an one off, and I think it should stay it.
for this hull, I would suggest 1 Mk 10 mod 0, ASROC and the gun forward. you might be able to fit an gun aft too, but that might be too much for the hull. (this is more or less what the farragut class has)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... DDG-37.jpg
I would use the midships for the ships boats, liferafts and a bit of growth space for modernisation (later on, you might for example add anti-ship missiles)

this might look a bit empty, but that is really all the weapons an hull this size can take.

(note also, the Mk 9 GMLS is about half the size of your entire ship :P)
So this will pretty much be a larger version on the Farragut but with more room to grow (allowing anti-ship missiles)?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 6:45 pm
well, your ship is about the same size as the farragut, on first glance?
and the pic I linked of an farragut has some anti ship missiles on board as well, but I think they replaced her 2 3in guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ruterra
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 7:17 pm
[ img ]

So this is what is should look like?

I have 2 Mk 10's one forward and one aft. I placed the oto 127 compact in front of the forward Mk10 (which doubles as a ASROC) I then placed a CIWS on the stern on top of the Mk10.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charwhick
Post subject: Re: New Federal Republic of Aznaiza DestoyersPosted: March 27th, 2014, 7:39 pm
Arc on the front GMLS might be restricted by the gun. You've got a nice space center, would you consider a helipad there?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 6  [ 58 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: