Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
DBrigance
Post subject: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 11th, 2014, 12:26 am
Almost to the point I can start posting WIPs so need real thread for it.

Just need to add bow details and correct any errors.

[ img ]

Scheme 16 USS North Carolina
Quad 14/50 turret for above

Fluegzuegkreuzer A IIa and IV
quad 11 in turret for IV

Last edited by DBrigance on February 24th, 2014, 11:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 14th, 2014, 12:31 am
-fixed-

Ok still working on turrets. Found some discrepancies between the top and sideview of Scheme XVI. Funnel especially. Side view.. the aft side is almost vertical but on the top view has a serious taper

quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 20th, 2014, 2:25 pm
Looks great so far! I hope you going to keep going when this is done and draw the other iterations of the ship.

The spacing between the forward turrets is confusing me. You drew them the way they show up in the plans but why would the designers stretch the belt out that much just to prevent one hit from knocking out the entire forward battery, especially with such a limited displacement. ? Is there actually a precedent for a hit like that?

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 20th, 2014, 11:58 pm
Yes That is my long term intentions. And honestly I have no clue on why they spaced them out so much as well. But she is also one level shorter than as built as well. The one version I have seen done of this, not Sb style, Essentially modified a South Dakota with quad turrets.

quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 21st, 2014, 7:48 am
Not sure why people are unable to use the most recent parts available in the first post of the USN parts thread... reproduced here for your convenience:

[ img ]
(use the Mk.38 Mod.1 shield with Mk8. Mod.0 (FH) radar)

[ img ]
(use the Mk.37 with Mk.4 director)

[ img ]
(update your SG radar)

[ img ]

[ img ]

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-38_mk12.htm << this page shows the BB-55 class as having the Mk.28 Mod.0 mount for the 5"/38 Mk.12 gun: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/guncat/cat-0248.htm

[ img ]
This is the Mk.32 I had drawn for the Alaska - the only difference that will be visible at this scale is the addition of a sight hood for the gun captain. I think Tim had drawn most of the 5"/38 variants using this as a template.

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 21st, 2014, 10:55 am
Colosseum wrote:
Not sure why people are unable to use the most recent parts available in the first post of the USN parts thread... reproduced here for your convenience:

[ img ]
(use the Mk.38 Mod.1 shield with Mk8. Mod.0 (FH) radar)

[ img ]
(use the Mk.37 with Mk.4 director)

[ img ]
(update your SG radar)

[ img ]

[ img ]

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-38_mk12.htm << this page shows the BB-55 class as having the Mk.28 Mod.0 mount for the 5"/38 Mk.12 gun: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/guncat/cat-0248.htm

[ img ]
This is the Mk.32 I had drawn for the Alaska - the only difference that will be visible at this scale is the addition of a sight hood for the gun captain. I think Tim had drawn most of the 5"/38 variants using this as a template.
I am sorry Colosseum I used the sheets on the regular parts sheets on the home page link, they aren't up to date?. Will fix. I have a lot of fine tuning and such left.

quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 21st, 2014, 11:31 am
Oh and the aft pole is also a place holder at top. Pics on navsource that show it are so far back I can't tell what is mounted. Any decent version of the CXAM radar?

quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 21st, 2014, 3:54 pm
You know, the Scheme XVI does look to have a lot of cruiser lines in it, I wouldn't be surprised if that's far from accident.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 21st, 2014, 4:12 pm
I'd agree with you there, something about it just feels like a cruiser hull, especially the Worchester Class

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
DBrigance
Post subject: Re: USS North Carolina Scheme XVIPosted: February 21st, 2014, 10:11 pm
Well she was designed for 27-30 knots so not surprised. She was a nice design within the treaty limits.

I will be moving her to a template soon.

quad 11 in turret for IV

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: