Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
TimothyC
Post subject: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 9:28 am
I'm just doing a link to the article because getting the formatting exactly correct would be a pain and a half.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 11:17 am
- Hmmm, the forward gun look disproportionate for a 5"/62 on a LPD 17 hull (except if the american make a return to the 1970's era 8"/55 Mk 71 :? )
- The phased array radar is probably the larger version of the AMDR (20 or 20 feet diameter ?)
- I look one bofor 57mm/70 Mk 3 aft the after funnel/uptake
- I count 2 CIWS RAM (one atop the forward bridge, one aft the after funnel/uptake)
- I count 2 allay of VLS launchers ( 2 x 9 groups of 16 VLS each, for a grand total of...288 :shock: VLS) => Dangerous to put too many VLS on one ship, Dangerous to "put all your eggs in one basket"

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 11:20 am
Colombamike, maybe you should read the article as well? all you said, and more, is mentioned there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cybermax
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 4:09 pm
Thanks for sharing this! Was wondering what the BMD version of LPD17 would look like. And an added bonus a model of one of the OPC candidates!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 5:35 pm
Colombamike wrote:
- Hmmm, the forward gun look disproportionate for a 5"/62 on a LPD 17 hull (except if the american make a return to the 1970's era 8"/55 Mk 71 :? )
It's a rail gun, but that's noted in the text.
Colombamike wrote:
- The phased array radar is probably the larger version of the AMDR (20 or 20 feet diameter ?)
21 foot S-Band faces, again noted in the text.
Colombamike wrote:
- I look one bofor 57mm/70 Mk 3 aft the after funnel/uptake
Yes, for close in work, also noted in the text.
Colombamike wrote:
- I count 2 CIWS RAM (one atop the forward bridge, one aft the after funnel/uptake)
Yes, two Mk 49 launchers. Noted in the text.
Colombamike wrote:
- I count 2 allay of VLS launchers ( 2 x 9 groups of 16 VLS each, for a grand total of...288 :shock: VLS) => Dangerous to put too many VLS on one ship, Dangerous to "put all your eggs in one basket"
Sometimes it's nice to be able to sustain an engagement. This is a stupid critique, especially as the fleet continues to shrink.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 7:55 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Colombamike wrote:
Sometimes it's nice to be able to sustain an engagement. This is a stupid critique, especially as the fleet continues to shrink.
Stupid, no, it's just a "fondamental strategy" => "not put all your eggs in one basket".... (but apparently you can not understand)

Typically a American answer "I want a big gun, I want big arms, I have a big penis".

Especially with $ 16 trillion US debt (20 to 24 in 2020...), Installs 10% of all your VLS on a single ship....argh !!!

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 8:05 pm
Colombamike wrote:
TimothyC wrote:
Colombamike wrote:
Stupid, no, it's just a "fondamental strategy" => "not put all your eggs in one basket".... (but apparently you can not understand)

Typically a American answer "I want a big gun, I want big arms, I have a big penis".

Especially with $ 16 trillion US debt (20 to 24 in 2020...), Installs 10% of all your VLS on a single ship....argh !!!
Would you like to tone down the arrogance a bit, or would you like a vacation?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 8:31 pm
I recommend that Cyprus as a vacation place.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 8:43 pm
Colombamike wrote:
On the contrary, not only would it mean having one ship being able to do the job of two (not much smaller) ships (and therefore have to spread less manpower around the fleet, which is the big issue), but it also means there won't be any question that it won't run dry before it can take full advantage of AEGIS.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: HII LPD-17 derived BMD platformPosted: April 9th, 2013, 9:08 pm
It's not really an American ship until the mess facilities are replaced with a McDonald's drive in.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to β€œSources and Reference Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: