Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Type 14 Frigate 'Captain' classPosted: March 5th, 2012, 5:50 pm
I'm looking for any good drawings on this ship, particularly ones that shows the lower hull; or, any photo that shows the same (dry dock etc.). I've got plenty of really good photo's of these at sea and in harbour so I'm fine for those. As a class these ships have not been well represented by drawings, but I'd be glad of any help :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Frigate 'Captain' classPosted: March 8th, 2012, 6:18 am
The only "good" drawing I have is from Friedman's book, and this is a design drawing, which was later modified in the actual ships as constructed. If you want I'll scan it and send it to you via PM.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Frigate 'Captain' classPosted: March 8th, 2012, 8:50 am
Sorry Bill I can't help either BUT the good news who is going to say your wrong !!!! you just need to take a bit of a guess at where the sonar hull outfits are I assume that it had a 177 for long range sonar searching and a 170 for Limbo directing.

graham

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Frigate 'Captain' classPosted: March 8th, 2012, 9:07 am
Thanks chaps, and if you haven't found anything, then that says it all ;) I actually have two versions; the one you mention Novice in Freidmans book, which I first used; but then, I found an image of a scale model, taken from the front, but clearly showing that the rear hull slopes up for the prop and the rudder, much the same as the Tribal's. According to my googling, they did carry the 170, but no mention of the 177, which seems a bit odd, but they were very spartan - any ideas? Likewise the radar fit; no need for any gun directors as all they had were manually laid Bofors, but they were supposed to carry the 974, which we've got on the sheets, but also 174 for search, which I cannot find yet, then a 162 target radar...um? Is this another hull mounted set for asw? I tend to find that drawing obscure ships involves more time in finding the right 'kit' as in drawing the hull etc.

Anyway, as you say Graham, not much chance of one of our :ugeek: 's bombarding me for using the wrong whatsit. :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Frigate 'Captain' classPosted: March 8th, 2012, 12:31 pm
[quote][/quote]but also 174 for search, which I cannot find yet, then a 162 target radar...um?[quote]

The 174 is a Sonar I assume a earlier and smaller type of Search sonar that the 177 was , the 162 is bottom profiling sonar developed at the end of the war for detecting "u boats" lying on the sea bead this had three very small transducers one port, bottom & starboard fitted flush to the hull right up forward, in SB speak about 1 pixel and l wide 3-4 long

Graham

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Frigate 'Captain' classPosted: March 8th, 2012, 2:32 pm
Bill
The drawing in Friedman's book can clearly show the sonar positions, as well as radar outfit. The drawing is different from the actual as built ships only around the bridge area. As designed the ships had a Type 15 like bridge, but as built they had the new frigate type bridge, much like the modified bridge used by the Type 16 frigate conversion (like HMS Teeazer F23)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Frigate 'Captain' classPosted: March 8th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Well yes, I've got the book open in front of me, but this (earlier) sketch design isn't that clear on the radar fit; but yes, I've placed the sonar at what would be the same place on the actual ship :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Frigate 'Captain' classPosted: March 9th, 2012, 12:10 am
Breathlessly awaiting the completed drawing then.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings”

Jump to: