Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 8th, 2012, 8:57 pm
[ img ]

(includes http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =15&t=3592)

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 1:42 am
No, just no. The additional forward tubes don't add much, and the aft ones run a serious risk of complicating the propulsion set up.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 1:45 am
Because you're dealing with a pressure hull that's an entire vessel, submarines are practically impossible to refit. Yes, it's been done, even to modern SSNs, but it's very, very expensive and with the type of refit you're looking at, they'd probably rather authorize another Virginia.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 1:48 am
Two WAA's... goodness. Very much a case of where-can-I-stick-this-cool-component rather than any real thought.

[Profile] [Quote]
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 2:22 am
precisly , I've no idea what those even are, let the hate flow
because I only have small idea of what i'm doing
I should start putting a disclaimer on these though: "Don't bother telling me that its cheaper or smarter to do something totally different,especially commission a new class because that defeats the whole purpose of this"
I think I may just leave the forums because I can't seem to shake "rule of cool",and don't want to waste your time any more, but this is the only place I can get like minded people to talk to me about this stuff even though I'm the least knowledgeable here

what I was going for here was to preserve the look of the los angeles while adding some more modern interesting components exactly as mentioned above with "stick the cool componants everywhere" , because I like the sleek cod war lines of the los angeles
and yes I know what the extra fin is for, I think... the towed array right?
and I want to assume WAA's are some sonar derivative
but what do I know (not much)

Good god now I sound like those prissy art types who throw paint on canvas and go "art!, I'll bet any ol' sucker will buy this" , I despise those people so much- that is why I like this forum you guys are no nonsense

[Profile] [Quote]
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 2:24 am
wait Wide aperture arrays!

you see I know what that is, just never connected the name with the image, well now I really feel stupid

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 2:33 am
It looks veeery similar to the drawing I did a year or two ago of a 688 built with Seawolf/Virginia technology.

[ img ]

In this case, though, it was not a refit of an existing boat, but rather a follow-on design with 688 cues.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 3:22 am
Razgriz BSG-27 wrote:
precisly , I've no idea what those even are, let the hate flow
because I only have small idea of what i'm doing
I should start putting a disclaimer on these though: "Don't bother telling me that its cheaper or smarter to do something totally different,especially commission a new class because that defeats the whole purpose of this"
I think I may just leave the forums because I can't seem to shake "rule of cool",and don't want to waste your time any more, but this is the only place I can get like minded people to talk to me about this stuff even though I'm the least knowledgeable here

what I was going for here was to preserve the look of the los angeles while adding some more modern interesting components exactly as mentioned above with "stick the cool componants everywhere" , because I like the sleek cod war lines of the los angeles
and yes I know what the extra fin is for, I think... the towed array right?
and I want to assume WAA's are some sonar derivative
but what do I know (not much)

Good god now I sound like those prissy art types who throw paint on canvas and go "art!, I'll bet any ol' sucker will buy this" , I despise those people so much- that is why I like this forum you guys are no nonsense
So wait, you're saying that you don't like us because we're making fun of your nonsense design, but that you do like us because we are no-nonsense?

idgi

[Profile] [Quote]
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 12:02 pm
No, im saying that i might just stop wasteing all of your time, and leave
I may just not be capable of sensoble design decisons because i haven't the knowledge, might be back later once I figure it out

But it doesnt really matter, I admit the previous post was poorly laid out

I'd never seen it before , that seawolf/los angeles fusion up there is much better than mine, well now we can be finished with this topic

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Los angeles, refit & modernizing (hypothetical)Posted: October 9th, 2012, 6:17 pm
The WAA, like PUFFS before it, does rangefinding by measuring the curvature of a point-source sound wave. You can't measure curvature with two points. This has nothing to do with "rule of cool", whatever the fuck that means.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: