Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Rowdy36
Post subject: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 8th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Hi all, I don't normally post WIPs but I think I need to this time. Basically I'm trying to design a Brig built sometime in the 1790's and in this case depicted as of 1805 for a series of short stories I'm writing.
Since I know next to nothing about anything with sails any assistance in this matter would be grand, e.g. is the overall shape and size/mast height/spar location and length/bowsprit angle and length etc acceptable?

[ img ]

Also if any replies can be in simple, jargon free English my poor brain would be very happy :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 8th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Ahhhh...I need to reply with a French one...:-P

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re:Posted: October 8th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Take a look in the dutch folder, sv irene. Variations on this ship type served in the dutch, french and british navies during exactly the time eraf you are looking at.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 8th, 2012, 5:27 pm
And I need to respond with a Yankee brig

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 8th, 2012, 5:35 pm
[ img ]

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 8th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Yeeesssshhh...ace, I know that! But...and here comes the icing on the cake! They ALL had their own national; sometimes even regional characteristics. Ergo, to actually draw a French, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, or American brig or cutter or sloop (corvette) makes perfect sense!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 8th, 2012, 8:08 pm
may I note, that the irene was an captured british brig (named grasshopper) which is was, on sb scale, only different in some rigging details and painting to her dutch counterparts? while I agree that there are much differences between the different ships, but it is known that the so called 'cruizer' series, which had it's descendants from the original cruizer, floated in 1797, to an last one commissioned in 1828 and decommissioned not before 1849! due to captured ships and spied plans, the french, dutch and maybe even russians had ships of these types in service or in construction. the irene was never totally rerigged but was still an ship which from some distance, did not differ at all from the british type.
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... 0Irene.png
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... ilit=irene

hope you have some use of it ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 1:24 am
The mainmast looks a little too far forward on your WIP compared to the standard practise at the time which seemed to almost always have it sighted further aft with greater space between it and the foremast often used for carrying more sail. Also I'm not sure how many complete flush deck ships were around before the 19th century but most designs before that time still carried at least a raised poop deck with the captains quarters beneath and occasionally a forward castle just before the bowsprit.

I do like how she's looking otherwise. Been meaning to try and draw a couple historic Australian sailing ships myself but its almost impossible to find any reliable images or drawings of them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 3:42 am
I work on the civil war era sloop of war Constellation, the last all sail ship built for the US navy, and I've been meaning to try my hand at a SB sailing ship but its quite daunting, and i know all the parts, so bravo zulu to you for actually doing one. Tell us a little about your ship. Is this an 18 gun brig, built by the Royal Navy? This looks like a good start to me, I would also move the main mast back maybe 10 pixels, but by the 1790's flush decked ships are making an appearance. You're still missing some spars (dolphin striker, spanker gaff, catsheads), but otherwise this is looking good enough to start rig.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 6:24 am
Thanks everyone for your help, I'll post another WIP once I've gone through and made the suggested alterations (although Syzmo could you tell me what a catshead spar is please? I couldn't find much information on that). It will be built as an 18 gun Royal Navy brig, probably fitted with 16 x 32 pounder carronades and 2 x 6 pounder bow guns in 1805 - same as the Cruizer class.
bezobrazov wrote:
Ahhhh...I need to reply with a French one...:-P
nighthunter wrote:
And I need to respond with a Yankee brig
Please do :)

EDIT: Don't worry about the cathead, I think I know what it is now...

Last edited by Rowdy36 on October 9th, 2012, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: