Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 11th, 2010, 5:06 pm
I was inspired by th USS Virginia CGN-38.
Just as a scenario of a full (western) US - Soviet war.
Build around 1970.
Length : 250m
Beam : 22m
Draft: 9.5 m
Speed: 30+ knots
Range: Unlimited (Nuclear propulsion) (limited by supply's)
Complement: 650 +

Ships build: 6 + 4 on option

Weapons:
1x 8 inch Gun (203mm)
1x 5 inch Gun (127mm)
2x MK26 (SM-1) posible ASROC & Harpoons. (128 in stores for 2 launchers)
4x Quadpacked Harpoon Antiship missile
1x MK16 ASROC (8 loaded + 10 in stores)
1x MK29 Sea Sparrow Launcer ( 8 loaded no stores)
2x MK143 Armored Tommahawk Missile Launcher (8 loaded)
4x Phalanx 20mm CIWS
8x Quadpacked Minigun 7,62 mm
7x Dual .50 Cal 12,7 mm
4x Tripple Torpedo tubes with MK48 ( 40 torps in stores + 12 loaded)
2x Seahawk Helicopter

It's still a Work in progress so what should i do to it ( i know about the stabilizers.
[ img ]

------
Caption signing treaty with England by Johan de Witt

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 11th, 2010, 5:44 pm
A Proto-CSGN if you will.

Hmmm. None of the CSGN concepts had a Mk-16 ASROC peperbox (replace with two more ABLs). The hanger is also way to small, and I don't see the Mk-29 being used at all. With the additional length the lack of forward missile directors is quite surprising. I also don't see 6 of these being built with AEGIS just around the corner (I do have Friedman's Cruisers on order for the inter-library loan).

And it's Hawaii.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 11th, 2010, 7:30 pm
deleted

Last edited by Colombamike on March 30th, 2011, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 11th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Mike, I think you miss part of the point. He's doing a proto-CSGN, the only problem is that a Proto-CSGN is either going to get Typhon, or some proto-AEGIS. The former requires that Typhon ships be approved in the mid 60's and the later assumes an acceleration of the ASMS program (possible).

The other issue is with the hull - it's going to be a long narrow hull, stiffening might be in order.

And as I mentioned before the ship is going to need a taller hanger, if it gets one at all.

Last edited by TimothyC on December 29th, 2010, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 11th, 2010, 9:40 pm
This is more or less what I was going for with my thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 11th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Ok! a small version of my big battleship. i couldnt get it smaler then this without losing some weapon systems.
[ img ]
Try to make one later with AEGIS.

------

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 12th, 2010, 8:30 am
A very nice proposal.
I would like to make some suggestions, if you will.
1 There is a lack of forward directors for missiles.
2 The bridge is too small, even compared to the USS Virginia.
3 The aft missile launcher is badly placed. There isn't enough hull-depth there and the shafts for the propellers restrict whatever space there is even more.
4 Traditionally US Navy battleships did not have hangars (the sole exeption was the Alaska class and they were considered large cruisers)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 12th, 2010, 10:30 am
Novice wrote:
A very nice proposal.
I would like to make some suggestions, if you will.
1 There is a lack of forward directors for missiles.
2 The bridge is too small, even compared to the USS Virginia.
3 The aft missile launcher is badly placed. There isn't enough hull-depth there and the shafts for the propellers restrict whatever space there is even more.
4 Traditionally US Navy battleships did not have hangars (the sole exeption was the Alaska class and they were considered large cruisers)
Ok thanks of course you can make some suggetstions! thats what this forum is for isn't it?
1 Will fix that
2 Its the same bridge as virginia, why would you need a bigger bridge ? with all the modern technology you could have the same space with less big electronic's even in 1971
3 maybe i will remove that and replace it with a ASROC/Sea Sparrow/ or other system*
4 It isn't a battleship but a battle cruiser, or you could call it a heavy cruiser.

* What would be the best?

------

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 12th, 2010, 12:03 pm
The only thing the shorter version buys you is a better Helo hanger. Virginia herself wasn't laid down until 1972, so any ship prior to that would be working with older electronics not newer. I say go back to the long version, and keep in mind the CSGN designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: USA '' Hawai'' Class Battlecruiser.Posted: October 12th, 2010, 1:15 pm
TimothyC wrote:
The only thing the shorter version buys you is a better Helo hanger. Virginia herself wasn't laid down until 1972, so any ship prior to that would be working with older electronics not newer. I say go back to the long version, and keep in mind the CSGN designs.
What do you mean with ''older electronics not newer'' i think you mean the SH-60 Seahawk helicopter? maybe its better to use the SH-2 Sea Sprite

------

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to β€œPersonal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: